Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Please ID these Trader Vic's mugs...

Pages: 1 12 replies

Hi,

I recently picked up two each of these drinking vessels locally here in Vegas, and was wondering if anyone knows what the drinks that were served in them were called. They supposedly came from a Trader Vic's, but the one and only drink menu that I have doesn't have either one in it.

I'm open for trades on either one of my extras, by the way... :)

Mahaloz fo helpin' a braddah out!!

the mugs look a lot like these i found a couple years back. are the backs the same?

WoW!
Hey, that's them! I had a feeling that some paint was missing! Is there an "official" name for them like "Samuri Grog" mugs or something like that?

Thanks DB!

..neither of those mugs are from trader vics.....i doubt the one with the woman is even tiki but i've owned the other mug at one point and i've seen it in an old tiki menu as well....

The bottom one is pictured in Trader Vic's Bartender's Guide (revised edition), on page 7 of a section of photos of drinkware between pages 210 and 211 where it's identified as "Lady Cocktail Glass" and used for Pink Cloud, White Cloud, Cucumber, Grasshopper, Harbor Light, White Coral and After-dinner drinks. Nice find.

-Sweet Daddy T.
Because crap doesn't buy itself.

My new blog

[ Edited by: Sweet Daddy Tiki 2008-02-24 08:07 ]

F
Fugu posted on Sun, Feb 24, 2008 10:07 AM

A couple of different companies made glasses with nude stems, but I think that the black one that you have was made by Imperial. That may explain the Trader Vic's connection, since Imperial made several of the other glasses used at Trader Vics (the port and starboard light, the gun club punch glasses, etc.).

I agree, Fugu. I was thinking either Morgantown or Imperial for the same reasons. Sweet Daddy, thanks a bunch for that scan of the page. Do you mind if I use it in the eBay listing when I sell it? Lemme Know! :)

Mahaloz Plenny!

I gots that mug. The bottle of Kissui (rice vodka) was purchased because of it.

On 2008-02-24 07:50, Sweet Daddy Tiki wrote:
The bottom one is pictured in Trader Vic's Bartender's Guide (revised edition), on page 7 of a section of photos of drinkware between pages 210 and 211 where it's identified as "Lady Cocktail Glass" and used for Pink Cloud, White Cloud, Cucumber, Grasshopper, Harbor Light, White Coral and After-dinner drinks. Nice find.

-Sweet Daddy T.
Because crap doesn't buy itself.

My new blog

well lookie at that shit!!! ..i learn sumthin every day here!!.....wonder how many of those i passed up at the flea markets??

On 2008-02-23 23:46, Tiki Lee's wrote:

I have read that it could be an Otagiri product.
I have seen red face paint (like yours) and green face paint:

T

I think the Kahiki used the "Lady Cocktail Glass" as well.

TM

I got a hold of a bunch of those Kabuki Mugs a few years back. They say Otagiri on the bottom, where they were used I have no idea. The gal I got them from said they were used at a restaurant at Ceasars that is no longer there....I have them for saleon my website, so go buy one! http://bartiki.com/vintage_tiki_mugs

I recall reading somewhere (the reference escapes me at the moment) that the kabuki mug was used at Caesar's Palace. If that is true, it does tie into the Las Vegas connection you have, but excludes Trader Vic's. None of the TV menus or books that I have shows the kabuki mug.

On 2008-02-23 23:46, Tiki Lee's wrote:
Hi,

I recently picked up two each of these drinking vessels locally here in Vegas, and was wondering if anyone knows what the drinks that were served in them were called. They supposedly came from a Trader Vic's, but the one and only drink menu that I have doesn't have either one in it.

Pages: 1 12 replies