Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Music

Aunty Genoa Keawe RIP

Pages: 1 9 replies

Tribute for Genoa Keawe, the foremost female Hawaiian falsetto singer is being played at
http://whodaguyhawaii.com

If you are unfamiliar with her music, please listen in. You'll be glad that you did!

K

I might get stoned for saying this......while such a huge deal was made over the deaths of Don Ho (who did much to popularize island imagery world-wide), and Israel Kamakawiwoole, THIS is the person who truly WAS Hawaiian music.
Her decade spanning career, her too numerous to count records, and that fact that up until a week ago she was STILL performing on a regular basis and knew literally THOUSANDS of Hawaiian language songs by heart is absolutely without precident.
As a young child growing up on the mainland and listening to many "49th State Hawaii" label LPs my grandfather had, THIS was THE voice of Hawaii. Meeting her later on while working at a Hawaiian music station is a thrill I will never forget.
This woman definatly needs a part, fountain, street, festival or SOMETHING named after her!!

K

Please pardon my ignorance...

Recently I've become interested in what I call "vintage" Hawaiian music. I don't really know the history or any of the artists, but have enjoyed listening as part of a mix of other Hawaiian music. There was this one singer who had an absolutely amazing voice and sometimes I found myself stopping whatever I was doing and just listening to her. Turns out it was Genoa Keawe. I just assumed all of these artists had long since passed away so I never tried to research any of them. Now I feel like I really missed out on something.

S

She could hold a note forever. Amazing to know she was still active. Reminds me of seeing Pualani Avon at Hukilau in 2004. Someone who grew up when the Hawaiian culture was gone and actively brought it back. We'll talk story about these folks forever and I wish I had the chance to hear her on the islands. Hearing the show linked above was a real treat.

Ten years ago it use to be a ritual for me and my friends to walk to the hotel (I can't remember the name of it) she played at on early Thursday evening and see Auntie and her 2 backup singers in their big muumuus belt out those tunes. I was always mystified by the way she could hold those falsetto notes and after a few belts tried to duplicated the feat but she always beat me by a mile, sometimes she’d call one of her grandchildren up there to hula to her music. She always came across more authentic than most of the local acts back then (This was when Jawaiian was sort of big). But even in her 80’s she was so sharp I somehow thought she’d outlive me and be playing forever, another icon bites the dust, bummer.

These are from May 2006. Sorry for some out of focus stuff, but I wanted to share all the shots we took. She was playing in the hotel next door to the Aston Waikiki, filslash took us there. Beautiful music and she was very energetic and looked like she was having a blast. I think some of the band was family. The young girl playing uke in the last shot I believe was her grandaughter.....not certain, maybe fil can help out. Was Joe Keawe (& the Harmony Hawaiians) her brother?

Aloha and Mahalo Auntie Genoa

Not sure about the rest, but the man on the steel guitar is Alan Akaka, a very well-known and respected steel guitarist in the Hawaiian music community.

M

Good call on the steeler. The rest are indeed family - her niece Momi Bee Kahawaiola'a on guitar/vocals, and Genoa's #1 son Gary Aiko, my friend and favorite male vocal/bass/uke player. Mandy can be seen in the last 2 pix doing what she's been groomed to do, take over the reins to the Keawe legacy, and she sounds like her Grandma in younger day's.
The hotel is the Waikiki Beach Marriott, the stage is on the 3rd floor, and showtime is 6pm every Thursday evening.

bongofury, you caught her at the right time, and she always had a blast, even when it got difficult the last year. She loved what she did, and she was the best.
Joe Keawe is a relative from marrige, not direct family.
Thanx for the post.

I'd like to hear the GK show mentioned above. Where is it? The Ron Jacobs/whodaguy clip wuz cool. I hadn't heard that. He's got ton's of great stories.

More info on live Hawaiian music that includes steel guitar is at - http://www.hwnsge.5u.com

5-0

I believe that there might be podcasts of the show in the future. I'll just have to keep checking.

T.T.

Well I think I will have to do a special on this wonderful woman on the Cocktail Nation.
Will try and hunt down some music and see if there are any interviews with her about....any help would be much appreciated if you've got something that will help.

Kooper

dig the podcast http://www.cocktailnation.podomatic.com

[ Edited by: koopkooper 2008-03-28 16:43 ]

Pages: 1 9 replies