Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Cool Tiki Lamp on Ebay

Pages: 1 36 replies

H

[ Edited by: hulalula on 2003-02-24 16:47 ]

2 coconuts worth for you...

I've rewired lots of lamps. I am not a certified electrician, but understand basic electricity...isn't there some concern about the cord being "wrapped tediously with seagrass rope"? I'd hate to see a fellow TC'er (hec, anyone for that matter) have their house go up in flames from wrapping their lamp cord wrapped in rope in case it ever cracks or breaks in the future. Imagine a rope fire trailing up the cord and to the ceiling! Maybe I've got that Great White concert disaster on my mind.

Any thoughts from an actual qualified electrician?

ElectroCaddyDaddy

I hate it when people say 'creepy tiki' like it says in their description. Red light bulbs create an exotic flair or a certain ambiant light but not creepy. Creepy is Steve Buschemi in Con Air.

Very cool lamp. I'd love to have that.

H

my 2 coconuts...

Thanks for your concern.
To be honest, the creator is my boyfriend and has similar lamps hanging in his home already. The electrial components are all new items (cord is not flawed or broken to expose the wiring), and the grass (or rope) is merely wrapped around the cord and not up too close to the plug to catch "fire" from a potential stray spark when plugged in (which occassionaly happens when plugging in older electrical items, and not so much with a newer item).
But, I'll mention your concern to him...although rest assured the lamps he's made that are hanging in the house are fine and the house is still standing. =)

HH

link
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2160985744

gecko made one like that too. nice :)

G
GECKO posted on Fri, Feb 21, 2003 6:53 PM

i cannot see em? I wen clicked onto HH's da kine but still no can.

HH

try again, works for me

People,
Did you guys read the description? It says "This is a 'one of a kind' exotic TIKI LAMP, created by Trader Woody." Is this OUR Trader Woody? Didn't think it was because Country/Region it said "United States/San Jose."

TW, someone's using your name to sell flammable light fixtures!!!

*** * * The Polynesian Popster * * ***

[ Edited by: PolynesianPop on 2003-02-22 16:01 ]

H

WOW.. is this one mean, DRAMA list.

Did it ever occur to you that there could be 'another' "Trader" Woody? Possibly more than 10...maybe even 50!
Give me a break.....obviously some people out there like the lamp if the originating post and actual auction has been viewed over 100 times and already up tp $50 with days to go!

Get over your pretentious, hoity toity SoCal "I'm so tiki" selves.
You've all got some nerve.

M

Totally agree, TOTALLY. I mean, up here in San Francisco you cannot fall down without hitting a Trader Woody. I have many friends that are Trader Woody. Couple of my high school P.E. teachers were definitely Trader Woody. I got a cousin, Trade Woody. Heck, everyone has a Trader Woody in their family.

I think the lamp is pretty cool, maybe a bit too Trader Woody, if you know what I mean, and I think you do. Wink wink, nudge nudge...say no more. :wink:

Yep, them So Cal (beat LA, beat LA) Tikis are really full of themselves. All that sun, carbon monoxide, and hi-speed pursuits. Less hoity toity, more artsy fartsy!

midnite...is all about the love, don't be a hater. Embrace your Trader Woodiness, like you're back at camp, remember.

[ Edited by: purple jade 2006-03-20 21:06 ]

you hit the nail on the head, polynesian pop is just one mai tai away from AA, in all serious though i dont think he was knocking the lamp just poking fun, you gotta undertand he doesnt have much of a life outside of tiki central.

G
GECKO posted on Sun, Feb 23, 2003 1:36 AM

great looking lamp. Because his introduction says "tapa" I looked at the tapa real close at it didn't appear to me as a authentic design done by Tongans or Samoans so I looked at his purchases.
I seen that he has the same cotton material purchased that he has on the lamp in this link.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=2222&item=2505798517

he typed "tapa fabric" so i guess that means cotton and not real tapa???

it's a great lookin lamp but i just want da peopo here to know that it is not actual tree bark tapa that is made here in polynesia. Just wanted to mention this for you traditional freaks like me who like all da original stuff! So none of you are a little upset because you expected da kine tapa.

personaly I think he should have used the words "tapa design fabric"."Vintage Tapa fabric" to me sounds like it's actually old tapa. dats jus me though. I have a few pieces of real vintage tapa that I collected in a trade for a tiki and this stuff is beautiful! I would never cut it up into a lamp. thats da only reason why i looked at it so close.

aloha

On 2003-02-22 18:20, HulaLula wrote:

Did it ever occur to you that there could be 'another' "Trader" Woody? Possibly more than 10...maybe even 50!
Give me a break.....obviously some people out there like the lamp if the originating post and actual auction has been viewed over 100 times and already up tp $50 with days to go!

Get over your pretentious, hoity toity SoCal "I'm so tiki" selves.
You've all got some nerve.

Whoa,
Hula Lula, what did I say that made you so angry? I just thought the Trader Woody thing was a funny coincidence.

[ Edited by: PolynesianPop on 2003-02-23 16:40 ]

[ Edited by: PolynesianPop 2013-02-04 22:48 ]

On 2003-02-23 16:01, PolynesianPop wrote:
[ I think the money would be better spent buying you a sense of humor.

If I auction a sense of humor off on eBay, and I use this as my title:

Tiki art bar mug Shag RARE OOP Sense of Humor vintage Tapa style

will I get more for it than just using "Sense of Humor?"

-Muggler

M

"will I get more for it than just using "Sense of Humor?"

You need to add "Eames" and "Rare". That should do it.

I like Jimmy Buffett. I am the real Trader Woody. Think I had a Hoity Toity at Trader Vic's once, tasted like burnt cork.

More pie, please!
midnite

T

Well I like your lamp and I hope you get alot of money for it, hulalula.

I have to agree with you there are defintely some SoCal hoity-toity-tiki-types on this list. Actually, I'm glad you brought it up 'cause they make me sick with their stuck-up tiki-selves. They are always saying...

"I have an origanal Tiki Bob and Stephen Crane bird-bowl, and my home bar is better than your home bar, and oh yeah well, my mom slept with Don before he was a beachcomber, yeah well my grandfather used to carve tikis in his Trader Woody..." blah, blah, blah.

oh uh just for the record, I didn't mean to offend anyone on this list who has invited me over for drinks if I'm ever in Beautiful Southern California. We're cool right? :D

And by the way I've met Trader Woody, midnite... and you are no Trader Woody!

[ Edited by: tikimug on 2003-02-24 15:39 ]

L
laney posted on Mon, Feb 24, 2003 3:49 PM

Oh, the green-eyed monster strikes again, I, being a hoity-toity, myself, pitty you jealous fools! We are the best, we DO have the best home bars (I'm even building a lounge/bar poolside) Ha Ha, sucks to be you!

H

Oh but I bet your "bar" isn't "vintage"....
puh-lease............

TikiNazis!

[ Edited by: HulaLula on 2003-02-24 15:56 ]

I am Sparticus!

Trader Woody

If any Tiki Nazis want to make their own great-looking lamp, head to Alnshely's (tm) old post on the subject:

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=2272&forum=1

Trader Woody (tm)

L
laney posted on Mon, Feb 24, 2003 4:13 PM

Well Hulalula, you certainly aren't making any friends here. For your reference, I have 2, that's right 2, VINTAGE Witco bars! I keep those inside though. Booo Hoo for you!
:P :P :P :P :P

[ Edited by: laney on 2003-02-24 16:15 ]

H

hey, not looking for your "friendship" ...atleat not from you are those that are soo quick to judge.
There have been some sane people on this list that have actually agreed with me people's horrible attitudes in here.
I am promoting (and now defending) artwork, is that a crime?
If it's not vintage, it sucks?
Give me a break.....
Funny that the original post on how to build a light fixture received all sorts of praise, but since then I guess all of you jerks found out about this list and tainted it with your pretentiousness.
What the hell are you all going to do with yourselves when all the vintage stuff is even more scarce to find than it is now?
God forbid you decide to build something, because gosh, it's not vintage....or Shag didn't make it.

Hope you and your Witco's burn in the next brush fire or fall in the crevices of a next earthquake!=P

Wow!, Hulalula must be having her 'week'. 5 posts and she's a tikinazi.

P.S. So Cal is the best!

L
laney posted on Mon, Feb 24, 2003 5:22 PM

MEEEAWWWWW, Hulalula! First of all who said your boyfriends, not vintage lamp sucks? (he has my pitty BTW) You're the one who started the insults! When all of us So. CA toity-tiki people break in my new out-door lounge this summer, I'll have a new drink for everyone, the HulaLula, aka flaming B*%^h! We'll all toast our toity asses to you baby! Love ya! :P :P :P :P :P :P

A

Speaking of homemade lamps, I've made another. They have these at OA. I mean the conga drum-Torpedo shaped lamps on the right side of this picture.

I started with this simple frame.

Then I added some Tapa cloth.

I finished this lamp, but, I don't have a picture. I'll try to get one. Hula Lula, great lamp, bad attitude.
Mahalo,
Al

Laney, you go girl!

H

Laney, and the rest of the negative posting members from SoCal....you are just too much.
If you look at all the comments posted about this poor lamp, you'll notice all the derogatory ones came from members in SoCal...hence the nice title I gave you all.
You slung the mud first.
You brought it upon yourselves to make yoursleves appear to be better than everyone else because of your perfect vintage tiki decor.
Picking apart someone's auction and nit picking the thing to death in general is outrageous.
Name a drink after me for all I care....nice to know you all are soo absorbed by the drama you created on a homemade lamp....you're pathetic.

For f*ck sakes RELAX.
Everyone's got an opinion. Leave it at that. If you take things personally, you're gonna let a internet posting site ruin your day. That's sad.

...oh, and Bong's right; So Cal is the best. Get pissed at that.

L
laney posted on Mon, Feb 24, 2003 5:44 PM

Beautiful work and even more beautiful comment, from some of the nicest toity-people here-Alnshely!
BTW, Hulalula, I MAKE and collect lamps, art and jewelry! Get over your jealousy! I'll post some pics tomorrow. XOXO

M

Gosh, not Josh, this is SO easy:
On 2003-02-24 16:37, HulaLula wrote:

hey, not looking for your "friendship" ...atleat not from you are those that are soo quick to judge.

Mission accomplished.

There have been some sane people on this list that have actually agreed with me people's horrible attitudes in here.

They're not sane, they've been delinquint in taking their Tourrette's meds.

*I am promoting (and now defending) artwork, is that a crime? *

One, that presupposes it's art, a stretch. For arguendo's sake, let's say "it" is. Then no, it's not a crime. But having a really piss poor attitude, if that was illegal, even Johnnie Cochran couldn't get your whiney ass off.

If it's not vintage, it sucks?
Give me a break.....

No no, if it's not vintage, it "blows". It's your personality that sucks.

Funny that the original post on how to build a light fixture received all sorts of praise, but since then I guess all of you jerks found out about this list and tainted it with your pretentiousness.

Funny - ha ha? Or funny - peculiar? Oh crap, I got pretentious on my new shoes! This is not gonna come out. This taint shall last, thanks for the taint.

What the hell are you all going to do with yourselves when all the vintage stuff is even more scarce to find than it is now?

I am thinking of taking up clubbing baby Harp seals. FORE!!!

*God forbid you decide to build something, because gosh, it's not vintage....or Shag didn't make it. *

No, it's Josh, not gosh.

*Hope you and your Witco's burn in the next brush fire or fall in the crevices of a next earthquake!=P *

Dude, first...a chromosone test. Second, you should think of writing children's books.

midnite...is not always about the love, I lied. So sue me!

Hulalula,

I think you've got us all wrong.

SugarCaddyDaddy first responded to your original post (which you've deleted (?))and had a question about the wiring. He wasn't trying to slam you boyfriends work, since I know him, I know he only wanted to make sure it was correctly done.

And Laney is one of the most happy go lucky kinda gals on the board. She definately does not have some hoity attitude. She can't help it if her dad is Bill Gates and she stands to inherit billions.

And the rest of the So Cal folks are just the nicest, stray animal saving, help the old lady across the street, give a homeless man a buck, girl scout cooky buying tiki freaks you'd ever want to meet.

Now, make yourself a Mai Tai, insert a Preparation H suppository, sit on your little inflatable donut, and dream of So Cali cause it's all true!

L
laney posted on Mon, Feb 24, 2003 6:03 PM

Bong, I'm dying from laughter, over here! Actually, my Dad is in a wheelchair from a debilitating disease, and I was at their house today taking care of him as my Mom was at the hospital recovering from surgery. But I love the thought of that! Yep, So CA people are the best!

Speaking of So Cal people being the best, I am the proud owner of the lamp Al made and posted pictures of. It's totally cool. My tiki bar area is so crammed with stuff, that I'm going to take at least a week in order to determine exactly where to hang it.

Al and Shelly gave me, among other things, the lamp for my birthday - Today February 24th. Polynesian Pop also gave me a one of a kind tiki incense burner thing that is so unique, it's hard to describe with any accuracy.

If anyone else wants to give Bong a birthday gift, just let me know and I'll email my address (hey, Hulalula, when you find that your lamp doesn't sell on ebay, I know you'll want to hitchhike to So Cal and give it to me!)

Happy Birthday to me, I really love ti-ki, Happy Birthday dear Bongo, HappyBirthday to me!

:P

[ Edited by: PolynesianPop on 2003-02-24 18:42 ]

[ Edited by: PolynesianPop 2013-02-04 22:52 ]

Ladies! Ladies!

Pllllllleeeeeeeeeaaase!

A catfight on TikiCentral?
Not good at all!
Especially since there isn't any handy jello, oil, chocolate or even mud!

Oh how we go through this when a new member doesn't quite get the humor that the rest of us have grown to know! Can we do anything to stop this in the future...probably not. So let's just call it quits, and if you can't call it quits, then let's go all out and do it right.....

Now where's my videocam and condiments?....

Oh, and I'll put $10,000 hoity-toity dollars on Laney.

Topic locked. Sorry people, this isn't constructive.

Pages: 1 36 replies