Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

Rugbymatt Visiting Bay Area

Pages: 1 39 replies

Aloha!

I will be out in San Francisco all next week for work and planned to stay over until Sunday. I was hoping to hook up with the local ohana for the 7th and 8th.

Matt

TWO

Out-of-town Ohana are always welcome. Can you make to Forbidden Island Wednesday night?
I'm way over due for a Monkey Pod.

CL

Man, we're going to be out of town around that time...need to check the calendar. If we can make it we'll be there. :)

Matt,

Wish we could make it up, but were there the following weekend. Have a great time and grab some meat pies at the New Zealander in Alameda!

R

Any suggestions on the what nights are better at which establishments? Friday at Forbidden Island and Saturday at Vic's or the opposite?

CL

Best nights at FI are Tues - Thurs..and Sunday. Fri and Sat are very packed.

unless you are there early.
The 1st time I went to FI at 6:30 it was a ghost town.
:)

Jeff(bigtikidude)

CL

Ahhh, I'm now on a computer with a properly functioning keyboard.

RM, Fridays and Saturdays at FI bring out many of the rah rah crowds, to put it politely, those who are there to PAHRTAHY and get pissed...rather than enjoy the ambiance and drink quality. Which is okay for a business...but annoying to those who want to take in the place. The lines to get in start between 6:30 - 7:30 and continue until about 9:30 or 10:00. Usually no entry waiting lines on other nights.

If you can only do Friday or Saturday at FI, I suggest and agree with Jeff, go early, like at 5:00 when it opens. That's your best chance of enjoying the place, soaking in the ambiance, and talking with the bartenders -- and Jim of Trader Vics fame, one of the original FI bartenders who is now managing FI weekends. Hopefully there won't be a party (first come basis, so large groups get there early to secure seats together). Martin is usually at FI Sunday, Tuesday - Thursday.

Trader Vics Emeryville is fine either night. I suggest if you can, go on Saturday around 3:00 if the weather is good and sit out on the patio. It's really a great view and environment....that is after touring the place of course. :wink:

You should at least view the inside of the Kona Club when you're here too. It's down the street from Mt. View cemetary where Trader Vic is buried. Bamboo Ben and Crazy Al did the interior and it's beautiful. The drinks aren't fantastic though, so save your drinking for FI and TV. if you're pacing yourself. :)

Rugbymatt, I will be at FI on Saturday at around 6, celebrating my getting older day. I will be partying(drunk), probably drinking in the ambiance like so many many times, and might even say rahrah! If you see a drunk, slick haired, tattooed, Japanese/Hawaiian guy, please say hello. Anyone willing to brave the weekend crowds(it really does get way crowded) should stop by as well. Very thirsty now.

R

Okay now that I am out here and getting adjusted things are falling into place. Here is a tentative plan:

Thursday evening (6:30 ish) Forbidden Island dinner and cocktails but I gotta work the next morning so I'll take it easy (no more than 6 drinks).

Friday evening (6:30 ish) Kona Club and then Trader Vic's

Saturday afternoon check out the cemetary and then on to Trader Vic's

Saturday evening Forbidden Island to meet up with the birthday boy

Please feel free to critique this plan as my ignorance of Bay Area logistics could make this untenable.

I need to move hotels on Saturday for my final night. Any suggestions? My flight out of SFO is on Sunday at noon.

On 2008-03-04 09:59, rugbymatt wrote:
Okay now that I am out here and getting adjusted things are falling into place. Here is a tentative plan:

Thursday evening (6:30 ish) Forbidden Island dinner and cocktails but I gotta work the next morning so I'll take it easy (no more than 6 drinks).

Friday evening (6:30 ish) Kona Club and then Trader Vic's

Saturday afternoon check out the cemetary and then on to Trader Vic's

Saturday evening Forbidden Island to meet up with the birthday boy

Please feel free to critique this plan as my ignorance of Bay Area logistics could make this untenable.

I need to move hotels on Saturday for my final night. Any suggestions? My flight out of SFO is on Sunday at noon.

The Kona Club is within shouting distance of Trader Vic's resting place. You should combine the two! And...does Forbidden Island sling grub now? You need to hit the Conga Lounge as well! It's not far from the Kona Club.

On 2008-03-04 10:17, SoccerTiki wrote:
[

The Kona Club is within shouting distance of Trader Vic's resting place. You should combine the two!

That's a good plan. Make sure you get in and out of the cemetery by sundown, though. They shut the gates promptly at sundown, and lock you in. [I know from personal experience; we had to call the police and got written a ticket.... :(]

No Tonga Room?
If you haven't been there, it's a must stop.

FI doesn't have dinner, but salty fried things are well represented. For dinner in the immediate area(though documented in another thread) I can suggest L&L Hawaiian BBQ for your basic plate lunch(go for the laulau and kalua pork combo), Kamakura on Webster St(for mellow sushi/Japanese food dining), also Bowser's(for thin crust pizza slices and pies) just to name a few. Remember to drive the speed limit in Alameda- the cops will pull you over in a second if you don't. See you Saturday!

So Thursday is dinner then Forbidden Island, got it. Also some mention of the Conga Lounge should I check it out Saturday as well?

M

Mahalo for checking out FI. Unfortunately, I will not be able to make it Thursday night. I'm on Tues, Wed, Sun this week.

Also FYI, Tonga Room is closed for renovations. (Don't panic. Yet.)

Sounds like a good trip!

R

I just wrapped up here so I will head out to Forbidden Island at about 5:30. How long should it take to get there in a cab from Mason & O'Farrel in town?

CL

About 45 minutes. Prime time traffic and the cab will be expensive. Instead, take BART to Fruitvale and cab it from there -about 25 minutes.

J

Even better, take BART to downtown Oakland-Broadway station. It's closer to FI and cabs are plentiful at Broadway and 13th.

M

Matt is in the house! Come on over and say hi!

MT

You coming over to Forbidden Island tonight, Matt? It's Tiki Central night tonight, so a few of us will be there. And they have a DJ there tomorrow (Thursday), that will be spinning good music - you should check that out as well, it's good and the place will be hoppin'.

Couldn't make the Wednesday gathering but will be there on Tursday.

Do you have an ETA?

R

I'll probably take BART from Powell to Oakland and then catch a cab. Should leave here at about 5:30 this afternoon.

R

Got a late start just got to Oakland 12th St. now.

Matt

R

Heading to Vic's in Emeryville around 7:00 tonight.

MT

Hey Matt, where are ya? I had a touch of food poisoning yesterday, so I couldn't make it over to Forbidden Island, but I'm gonna swing by there in a few to see if you're around. My out of town plans got cancelled, so if you're not at FI tonight, then a few of us will try to meet you tomorrow night. Cheers!

Heading out to Alameda this morning to stay at Marina Village Inn. I'll be doing the tourist thing today Kona Club, Vic's grave, and Conga Lounge. Early supper at TV's in Emeryville then to Forbidden Island to meet up for Falin's birthday.

I look forward to tipping a mug with you, Matt. We should be there around 6 and will most likely stay a long while. We are also ordering some pizza if you're still hungry. Any TC people should stop by and have a slice with us.
Pizza and mai tais--YEP!

MT

Coco Loco and I will be in the neighborhood, :wink: so we're gonna stop by to hang with Matt, and to party with the birthday boy. See ya tonight! Who's thirsty?

What a great Saturday night I had! Matt, your a real good person and I'm glad I got to hang out with you. It was good to see the usual fun TC FI folks drinking it up. Also, I want to really thank the staff at FI for a night to remember(well,some parts are a little foggy). Best bar, best staff, and best clientele. Thank you!

Ditto! I certainly enjoyed myself this past week much to the chagrin of my liver. Mahalo to all the great Bay Area ohana for making me feel so welcome. Thanks also the wonderful folks at Forbidden Island: Martin, Jim, Jess, Stehanie,a nd the rest of the Fang girls. I also spent a few evenings dinig at the original Trader Vics in Emeryville and wanted to give a shout out to Claudette, Danielle, AJ, and John there. I took everyone's advice and stopped by the Kona Club to check out the awesome work that Bamboo Ben and Crazy Al did there and in between cocktails walked down the street to Mt. View Cemetary to pay my respects to Mr. Bergeron. Great trip, great drinks, and great people. MAHALO!!!!

All captured on digital!

First night at Forbidden Island

Down With Pants in the Bay Area!

Another fun night at FI

Friday evening at Trader Vics Emeryville

Saturday Adventures in Oakland

Paid my respects to The Man

Back to FI for Falins Birthday

M

That FI bowling shirt looks mighty fine on ya, Matt!

Cheers for all the support over the weekend. Hosting was our pleasure.

Mahalo!

K
Kahu posted on Thu, Mar 13, 2008 12:43 PM

What's with the "DOWN WITH PANTS" ??

H

On 2008-03-13 12:43, Kahu wrote:

It's an FOM sticker.

K
Kahu posted on Thu, Mar 13, 2008 1:52 PM

On 2008-03-13 13:16, Hakalugi wrote:

On 2008-03-13 12:43, Kahu wrote:

It's an FOM sticker.

And that means?

It was something that was spawned in NYC first one of those planned spontaneous things: "nobody wear pants on such and such a day". It became a a rallying cry for the pro-lavalava movement who turned the phrase "Down with pants!" Check out Andy's website http://www.fashiontramp.com for info on ordering an infamous "utili-lavlava". FOM is the Fraternal Order of Moai. The FOM is pro-lavalava as well.

K
Kahu posted on Thu, Mar 13, 2008 2:16 PM

Thanks for the info rugbymatt. And again great pics.

[ Edited by: Kahu 2008-03-13 14:16 ]

Pages: 1 39 replies