Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Re-carving a carve. Taboo?

Pages: 1 9 replies

[ Edited by: BlackFish 2009-09-08 04:42 ]

M
mieko posted on Fri, Feb 29, 2008 3:59 PM

I think wood is wood, and if it's already "roughed out" it sounds like a good start to me!
I've seen wood in finished pieces cheaper than I could buy raw wood and have been tempted many times. :) I don't think you can make minor changes and sell it as your own at a huge markup, but it doesn't sound like you're going to do that.

Plus, that guy needs some changes. :)

Oh - be extra careful with sanding, if they put a finish on them, it could be something you don't want to breathe once you've sanded it off.

Hey, it's just like buying old pantings at the Salvation Army for the canvas and painting over them. Wood is wood, as long as it's not an authentic, ancient, artifact........and that's not.

B

Hey Billytc, I don't see why you can't add to a piece you've bopught, especially a piece that was mass produced for a quick buck. Add too it, change it but remember in the end you can't take full credit for it as it will always be a joint operation. Better to use it for a template and change it to your liking as an addition to the original. That way anything you do to it can be considered all yours with theirs as a starting point. At least you can feel good bout it.

You would actually be liberating them.

Fear not, you would be instilling mojo

F

I agree, make it yours.

When I was a teen I owned a '66 Dodge. I looooved that car, but I hated the old radio. So I ripped it out and put in my own tape deck and speakers. My Dad just about shit his pants when he found out what I did. But I liked it so much better! I kick myself twice each day for selling that car.

B

Hey thanks everybody, I really appreciate the feedback.
Seems to be unanimous that these things need to be uh "liberated".

Mieko, thanks for the reminder about the possible dangers from sanding the old finish.
Something I knew from reading some old threads, but needed reminding.

Benz, Hope ya don't mind, but I'm going to have a few questions for ya.
I'll wait till you are feeling a little better. Take care.

Fink, my old teenage ride that I kick myself over was a 70 & 1/2 Z28. Bad to tha bone.

SD

Your saving a tree !

Your being green and recycling

I melt old silver jewelry to make new stuff all the time

Fire up the belt sander !!!

wOw ....great ring!
I have my knuckles tattood ,so I cant wear cool stuff or the spelling is all w ong lol but VERY cool work!
I have carved more detail into cheap TIKIs I have found....if yer making it better then who cares right !
GODS BE DAMNED! lol

B

i may pelt u with coconuts, but it's got nuthin' to do with re-carving tikis, i'm just surly that way.

Pages: 1 9 replies