Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Lets bring back Suck Em Up!

Pages: 1 28 replies

Throughout my childhood visiting Kauai each year (staying across the street from the Coco Palms) I was an avid shopper for all tourist kitsch. The "Suck Em Up" shot glass and old fashioned style glass were always on display right next to the tastefully carved guy in barrel whose boner pops up when you lower the barrel. Sadly the glasses are not nearly as universal as they used to be and you never hear the bartenders urge you to Suck Em Up any more. I fear the phrase is nearing extinction.

I am therefore launching my own crusade to save this phrase by using it at least once a day. I realize this may be a lonely journey that may well lead to ridicule, spell check alerts, forced exile to Siberia and possibly blacklisting by the house on unamerican activities. I will hold out as long as I can so...

Suck Em Up bra!

I wish you well with your valiant quest SuperEight!

Mmmm... so, for the uninitiated, "Suck Em Up" means to drink and enjoy? Is this right? If so, does the current phrase, "That Sucks!", which has a negative meaning, cause confusion?

This sounds like a worthy crusade....... Do you offer any kind of health benefits to the soldiers in this army?

I too remember these shot glasses (and rocks glasses, and chimney glasses) with the slightly cartoonish font.

But, I can't find any pictures in my collection. Can you share some pictures? I am sure that once seen, your recruitment drive will increase.

And, just for entertainment value, got any pictures of the guy in the barrel?

T

I have a couple in my collection

N

Is there an official "Suck Em Up" drink? I know there's a mai tai recipe on some of the Don Ho glasses but also read that they use to go around with pitchers of Long Island Ice Tea during his act. Maybe someone should concoct one?

Anyway here are a few more items, a shot glass, a beer mug (who knew) and the "tastefully carved guy in barrel whose boner pops up when you lower the barrel."
SUCK EM UP, hee

One of my favorite shirts from my vast collection.

S
Swanky posted on Tue, Mar 4, 2008 8:27 AM

On 2008-03-04 08:14, SilverLine wrote:

Cool. I always associated that phrase with Do Ho and thought it was a sort of trademark. Now I know it ain't so. Anyone know where it started? I too thought it was the name of a drink or something of that sort that came in that glass.

I

One of the songs that Do Ho performed was titled 'Suck 'Em Up' It can be found on at least one of his live concert LPs, and also on the following youtube video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Q1dDUlwgQQ

Neat video, a catchy song, and people raising their drinks up high. I always pictured the nightclub owners loving it when he sang this song, encouraging the patrons to drink. That was the era, when you could tell people to drink more, rather than warning them about not drinking and driving.

R

So now there are two battle cries:

"Down with pants!"

and

"Suck 'em up"

It would be advised to use these seperately in most cases however.

On 2008-03-04 08:27, Swanky wrote:

On 2008-03-04 08:14, SilverLine wrote:

That just might be the greatest shirt of all time. And would you believe I have that glass?

Okay here is my total Suck Em Up collection:

Wow! There is some ugly shirts & glass! GOTTA LOVE THEM!

On 2008-03-04 22:32, Hiphipahula wrote:
Wow! There is some ugly shirts & glass!

Now I gotta find one of those glasses!!

BTW, I like my shirts LOUD!

UB

Ah - I want that!

You can also pick up these glasses with a Mai Tai at Don's restaurant at the Aloha Tower Marketplace. It's kind of stealthy, but his smilin' face is on the back.

Great shirt, Silverline. That's gotta go into my "The LOOK of Tiki" book!

I think the Amorican Version of "Suck Em Up"

is

More Beer!

Damn those AD agencies!!!

"Suck Em Up" is CLASSIC!!

Bamboo Ben Custom Tropical Decor!
I build stuff for you!
Google search me and see!

[ Edited by I before E, but after R? and A???? 2008-03-05 22:00 ]

[ Edited by: RevBambooBen 2008-03-05 22:01 ]

T

On 2008-03-02 21:18, SuperEight wrote:
Throughout my childhood visiting Kauai each year (staying across the street from the Coco Palms) I was an avid shopper for all tourist kitsch. The "Suck Em Up" shot glass and old fashioned style glass were always on display right next to the tastefully carved guy in barrel whose boner pops up when you lower the barrel. Sadly the glasses are not nearly as universal as they used to be and you never hear the bartenders urge you to Suck Em Up any more. I fear the phrase is nearing extinction.

I am therefore launching my own crusade to save this phrase by using it at least once a day. I realize this may be a lonely journey that may well lead to ridicule, spell check alerts, forced exile to Siberia and possibly blacklisting by the house on unamerican activities. I will hold out as long as I can so...

Suck Em Up bra!

Suck em up Bra !... you got any tiger prints in a 40D

This is the noblest cause I have heard about in the last six months. I will join you in your quest to revive "Suck 'Em Up." Thank you.

HOK

More Suck Um Up ware :lol:

Hana Isle and Hawaiian Distillers

Aloha, Freddie

I just picked up a pair of these rocks glasses in Red Deer (Alberta, Canada) of all places. Looks like they're the same as the one sputnikmoss posted. Here's the Mai Tai recipe, just the way my wife likes it!

I'm in. Suck 'em up, fellas!

N

Before their was Evel Knievel we had the 1968 Don Ho Special "Hawaii Ho" that began with Don singing the tune This Is Hawaii while being airlifted in a hut by helicopter above Waikiki without a safety net.

Crazy, man! I can just see the discussions with his manager: "Hey Don, I had this great idea, it'll be spectacular...". :)

H

On 2008-03-19 17:52, Brandomoai wrote:

... Here's the Mai Tai recipe, just the way my wife likes it!

What? No grenadine?

T

On 2008-04-02 12:42, Hakalugi wrote:

What? No grenadine?

Everyone knows grenadine goes into every drink! :D

Well, that's just a given :wink:

Naugatiki,

Great post. Don Ho was "The Man", singing at altitude! I got a postcard of Don singing at Duke Kahanamoku's to a very Suck-em-up type of crowd. I now know where they got the design for the shirt - check out the valance to the stage, similar flower design and groovy green.

Pages: 1 28 replies