Tiki Central / Tiki Music

Jimmy Buffet IsThe Music of TrueTiki Style

Pages: 1 18 replies

TT

Just kidding....
Don't start....

OK, Start!
or maybe not.
Indecision may or may not be my problem.
BTW, The name has 2 t's and 2 f's.
(Sorry, people.)

Are you guys BORED or somethin'? Is a post like this a sign of the DEVOLUTION of Tiki Central? What does a guy have to do to get a decent post around here...

TT

Yeah sorry... An Idle mind....

T

J.B. was around before most of you had sand in your shorts for the first time !!!
Can't understand the hate being slung at this cat !!!!!

....because his stuff is just warmed over COUNTRY ROCK with steel drums (occasionally), while the REAL exoticats at LEAST did the instrumentation right, even though their music was pretty much as ersatz as Buffetts--only in a more EVOCATIVE way of the native musics & locales they WERE ATTEMPTING to invoke!...and from the looks of a LOT of people on this site, there are MANY that were around when Buffett was NOT the major ENTERPRISE he is today..which, speaking less negatively...is HARDLY his doing...more so the Parrot heads who i think were REALLY BUMMED when Jerry died and needed something NEW to fixate on

..and REALLY i am not a big Buffett HATER at all--i like his books and the IDEA of Buffett more than the REALITY and the MUSIC..he seems like a REALLY COOL guy and probably embodies the tiki spirit more than many..its the FANS that have even created the VAGUEST NEED for any forum like this at all.

TM

I could not agree more. Coming from the background of being in a near Buffett tribute band in high school, I tried to like his music, but alas, "warmed up country music with some steel drums" is an absolutely correct desciption. It's pleasant sounding, and I am sure Jimmy is a nice guy with a lot of good stories, but Tiki it aint. Not by a long shot. And yes, parrot heads are basically jam band refugees who found a new nitch.
Doesn't make me hate him, or the music, though. Just not my cup of tea. There is plenty of real country out there, and lots of real tiki that I think just does the job better.

The fact is, just because you have some bamboo on your album cover, or vague tropical themes, it is not quite tiki. Tiki is and always has been exotica, some Hawaiian, some surf. But mainly exotica, which is a form of pop jazz. And that has nothing to do with fins, cheesburgers or margaritas. It has everything to do with vibes, fake cantonese food and mai-tais!

So, do I dislike parrot heads and other parrot related trends? Not really, but being someone into "tiki" makes me seek out those things that relate to our tiki culture, and it does bother me a bit when people consider anything dimly related to be "the same" as Tiki.

P

I'd open for him for a pound of crawfish and 20 bucks.

That said, this thread is troll-bait and should be deleted. There are enough posts about JB on this site to start another forum.

On 2008-03-14 07:09, bb moondog wrote:
....because his stuff is just warmed over COUNTRY ROCK with steel drums (occasionally)...

Seems like Kenny Chesney really latched onto the Buffet niche market of country music with a commercial carribean accent (am I the only one whose noticed this?). For my part, don't mind the vibe at all. The problem is when people (usually new TC subscribers) promote it as tiki music, which it aint.

TT

On 2008-03-14 14:04, pablus wrote:

I'd open for him for a pound of crawfish and 20 bucks.

That said, this thread is troll-bait and should be deleted. There are enough posts about JB on this site to start another forum.

or at least locked... I have to admit it's pretty funny how quickly people STILL jump on this subject..
PEOPLE DO NOT RESPOND TO THIS THREAD.. IT'S A JOKE.. go to the other JB threads, then you will understand.. (how much JB sucks)...lol

T

Hell with J.B..... Who the hell is R F ??????

TT

On 2008-03-18 05:50, TikiLaLe wrote:
Hell with J.B..... Who the hell is R F ??????

Rat Fink!!!!

K
Kahu posted on Mon, Mar 24, 2008 9:49 AM

I like Piss Fink better.

I think of Jimmy Buffett more as Caribbean type music rather than Tiki. Not better not worse...just different. And if you know anything about him you know he got his butt kicked out of Nashville when he first went there from New Orleans. Ended up in Key West and the rest is history....Just my 2 cents worth.

"I think of Jimmy Buffett more as Caribbean type music rather than Tiki. Not better not worse...just different."

Keep that good attitude and perfectly acceptable opinion and you'll do fine around here.

Don't be surprised if you read a lot of over the top comments about Mr. Buffett. And don't take it personally. That'd be like taking it personally if an old coyote got into your hen house and ate the eggs.

[ Edited by: woofmutt 2009-03-14 10:10 because he forgot to put the second "t" on Jimmy Buffett's last name. No matter what you think of a man or his music he at least deserves to have his name spelled correctly.]

(below the line)

woofmutt

[ Edited by: woofmutt 2009-03-14 10:10 ]

Oh keeeh...who did this? I just politley declined this e-mail request. Someone set me up, right? Who pulled this prank :D :

Hi,
I am in dire need of a great cover for a book I have just finished.
http://theParrotTalksinChocolate.com

I am searching your site for images that I might use, with permission

Sven,
I don't think it's a prank - though unintentionally funny, to some of us. Check out the latest (May 18) review of the BOT on Amazon:

*"this book is one of the best ever on TIKI. In fact it inspired the author of the new book, The Parrot Talks in Chocolate - the Life and Times of a Hawaiian Tiki Bar.

AWESOME"*

It's a transparent attempt to tap in to your audience, by way of a "review" (by the author's wife, I presume). But they may be telling the truth - that they were inspired by BOT (and that Maui pakalolo?) to try their hand at "tiki fiction" of a sort.
OK, who get's elected to actually buy, read, and review the ... PTIC?
Hey, email him and ask him to send you a review copy. Tell him if you like it, you'll give him a blurb. :)

"The rum's the thing..."

[ Edited by: Limbo Lizard 2009-05-20 09:17 ]

Guys,
I love Sven's book! Bought it on Maui about 4 years ago or so.
My book, subtitled The Life and Times of a Hawaiian Tiki Bar is a fictional play on the common theme we all subscribe to.

Not to promote the book here, but to just reply to the posts I saw.

Mahalos!

Pages: 1 18 replies