Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Will the state of Utah ban mai-tais?

Pages: 1 6 replies

I

Utah is considering new laws, which may prevent bars from making a mai-tai.

*"Bars will be allowed to pour “up to” a 1.5-ounce drink from meters. Total alcohol in a drink is lowered from 2.75 ounces today to 2.5 ounces."

"Believe it or not, if you want to order a shot of Makers [bourbon], you can have a shot-and-a-half. But you can’t have a Mai Tai.” Mai Tais may be outlawed due to the number of flavorings needed to create one, putting it at odds with the new rules. *

http://www.slweekly.com/index.cfm?do=article.details&id=7FCFAEC0-14D1-13A2-9F4B34000D1BDE12

I find it interesting that they used the mai-tai as a mult-ingredient drink that could no longer be made .... tiki drink awareness is growing!

[edit] it turns out that Utah used to allow only one ounce of liquor - now they allow 1.5. The governor has stated he wants this change so Utah doesn't seem 'so different from the rest of the world'

[ Edited by: ikitnrev 2008-03-07 13:16 ]

UB

I'll take a jack Mormon Zombie!

D

On 2008-03-07 13:11, ikitnrev wrote:
The governor has stated he wants this change so Utah doesn't seem 'so different from the rest of the world'

and now you can have more than 1.0 wives too!

On 2008-03-07 13:46, dogbytes wrote:

On 2008-03-07 13:11, ikitnrev wrote:
The governor has stated he wants this change so Utah doesn't seem 'so different from the rest of the world'

and now you can have more than 1.0 wives too!

But do your wives still have to be poured from a metered dispenser?

A study released earlier this week showed that Utah has the highest percentage of psychological illness reported each year than any other state (14% of adults). Maybe this is part of the reason!! I'd be depressed and nuts too! lol

G

According to Darcy O'Neil over at the Art of Drink, "In Ontario the maximum amount of alcohol allowed to be served in one drink is 3 oz of 40% ABV". I suppose one could just order two and an extra large empty glass on the side.

My favorite brew from Utah.

The Wasatch Brew Pub and Brewery. Utah also used to produce a St. Provo Girl beer with a label and ad campaign that parodied St. Pauli Girl. Of course they got sued and now it's Provo Girl without the "St." and the Provo Girl no longer looks like a fraulein.

Pages: 1 6 replies