Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Marketplace

eBay: VanTiki - The Cracked Cannibal Handmade Tiki Mug

Pages: 1 5 replies

V

Aloha everyone!

Allow me to present my newest (and slightly flawed) creation: The Cracked Cannibal Idol! A massive carnivorous ancient stone idol overgrown with moss. Look at those beady yellow eyes - No wait! Maybe it would be safer to avoid eye contact.

This massive mug was put together with 5 different clay bodies to get a variety of colors and textures. Cracked, you say? Yes, sadly this little crack formed on its bottom during the final glaze firing. While the mug won’t hold water (or rum, for that matter), it is still structurally sound and will happily sit on your bar and guard a forest of straws, chopsticks, or any other non-watery item within his mossy innards.

More photos and info at my website (including a shot of its crack - ew!):

http://www.vantiki.com/VanTiki/The_Cracked_Cannibal.html

And of course, the eBay auction link:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120231027252

Mahalo and happy bidding!

[ Edited by: VanTiki 2008-03-08 09:59 ]

van, that is amazing as are all your pieces!!! hugs~ tink xoxo

K
Kahu posted on Wed, Mar 12, 2008 3:17 AM

WOW! Can I ask, how long does it take you to do a each mug about?

V

Mahalo Tiki Tinkie!

Kahu - tough to say, the work gets spread out over several weeks between clay firings and drying times. Initial sculpt takes around a day. I then let the piece dry out a bit and then sculpt in the details. Piece dries for a few weeks, then is bisque fired. I glaze the mug (one to three hours - depending on complexity), and fire it again. I always have a hard time answering that question due to the large variation of complexity in my mug sculpts and glaze applications. Also, my day job spreads out my tiki work schedule so it is really tough to keep track of time.

Mahalo -
Henrik

V

Aloha everyone -

This is your friendly "1 day left in the auction" bump

Mahalo -
Henrik "VanTiki"

Thank you for that. The pieces are superb! hugs~ tink xoxo

Pages: 1 5 replies