Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Travel

No love in Memphis, TN.???

Pages: 1 2 replies

T

My wife and I will be heading out to Memphis, TN. mid April and would like to see anything tiki related. We do have plans to visit the Kings house and tour is Witco room. But that is the only thing I know that's tiki related. Any help would greatly appreciated.

Mahalo,
Tikitatt
Myspace.com/velvetpainter

[ Edited by: Tikitatt 2008-03-10 12:33 ]

[ Edited by: Tikitatt 2008-03-28 14:32 ]

[ Edited by: Tikitatt 2008-03-29 16:26 ]

B

I haven't lived in Memphis for 10 years, so Im sure alot has changed. Hell, last time I went to visit, there was a baseball park downtown, and the park on the river was finally finished!!

But, unless there's some new joints, basically, you're SOL for tiki. There's a joint called Automatic Slim's Tonga Club...but its more carribean.

Enjoy Memphis for what it is. Hit the Rum Boogie Cafe on Beale st & hear some great music. Grab a slice of decadent Chocolate cake at the Highland Pinch. Enjoy the Memphis Dry-Rub ribs at the Rendezvous. Cruise the art section in Midtown, and enjoy Graceland.

If you want tiki, drive the 3 hours to Smyrna, and hit the Omni Hut. Worth the drive...and BYOB, so go prepared.

Have a great trip!!

T

Bargoyle,

Thank you for your response. I had one hell of a time trying to find anything other then Elvis, BBQ and the blues. Don't get me wrong, I love Elvis and own 45 or so Elvis decanters from the 70's worth quite a bit. But while on vacation I at least wanted to see something tiki. My wife and I will hit the spots you mentioned except the 3-hour drive. We won't have time for that unfortunately or even a car. My family is from TN. in fact I was born in Sale Creek, TN. outside of Chattanooga. This is my wife’s gift to me for our 15-year wedding anniversary. Now, I know Elvis has a Witco room, which I can't wait to see. I just purchased a Witco bar from Bamboo Ben a few months back and love it. I got the authentic approval from Sven Kirstin saying it's the real deal. Again, thank you for the advice and will post pictures of the places you recommended. Well the vicodin is kicking in since I just had surgery on my knee and it's getting difficult to focus.

Enjoy your weekend!

Pages: 1 2 replies