Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Rumours of Julian's demise

Pages: 1 21 replies

P

I have a friend in the restaurant biz that runs a place on Ormond Beach that told me that Julian's Restaurant - favorite Witco/Hawaiian joint on Florida's east coast - had closed.

I thought it best to confirm before posting such a bomb on TC. So I asked around - nothing.
Then I remembered this invention that was around before the internet - a "phone" I believe it's called - and used this device to sequence several numbers that put Julian's on the earpiece.

Nope - not closed.

Whew.

The man was agitated that I even asked until I talked him down a little. I guess someone is trying to further this rumour. I say we need a TC gathering at Julian's sometime soon.

Here's a little story (not so well-written due to certain intoxicants, yet worthy enough) to encourage the effort:

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=13461&forum=1&hilite=balinese%20lady

Julian's Restaurant closed?
That sucks.

P

Heh.

You didn't add the rimshot.

That's a great looking A frame.

I will definately make this a stop on my next FL visit.

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=27073&forum=2&hilite=julian's

http://www.juliansrest.com/index.htm

Pablus, thank you for dispelling this rumor before it ever made onto the message board.

Another throwback to yesteryear is safe... for now.

G

On 2008-03-10 12:56, pablus wrote:
Here's a little story (not so well-written due to certain intoxicants, yet worthy enough) to encourage the effort:

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=13461&forum=1&hilite=balinese%20lady

Sadly, and unless I just totally missed it, the Witco piece in your story is no longer hanging in Julian's. That was in January. And if we do gather there, it really should be on a night that the current "entertainment" has the night off or else be subjected to a runthrough of JB's greatest hits.

P

It's on the far right wall when you walk in the front door.

I WAS anyway.

If it is missing - I didn't take it nor did I have it taken. No really this time. No seriously I mean it.

L
Loki posted on Tue, Mar 11, 2008 6:08 AM

Pablus,my folks live a mile down the road, I'll send them on a mission to find out about said witco. I had a few drinks there in January. If ya go, hopefully Jim the bartender is working. He makes a killer Singapore sling and he's been working there for 20 years. He loves to tell stories of the place.

P

Hey, Loki, thanks for the orgeat. Josh brought us some to the luau the other night.

I think it was you that made it. If not, then pass my thanks to Chip and Andy - oh wait, I just did... so never mind.

Sorry, I'm confused now.
Everytime I read a post from you I hear Stumpgrinder screaming and taste the flavor of a Rum Barrell.
Pavlov's dog's name was "pablus" you know.

L
Loki posted on Tue, Mar 11, 2008 12:26 PM

That is some fine orgeat indeed. We just mixed it up that very day. Like you gotta tell me about the scream :wink:...rum barrel, rum barrel, barrel of rum...

On 2007-10-22 09:37, GatorRob wrote:
Elizabeth has one helluva scream. I almost dropped my camera.

On 2008-03-11 11:53, pablus wrote:
I think it was you that made it. If not, then pass my thanks to Chip and Andy - oh wait, I just did... so never mind.

I stirred.

That counts, doesnt it?

On 2008-03-11 11:53, pablus wrote:
Pavlov's dog's name was "pablus" you know.

I knew the name rang a bell.

This thread needs new pictures.

Rev. Dr. Frederick J. Freelance, Ph.D., D.F.S

[ Edited by: freddiefreelance 2008-03-12 08:27 ]

G

On 2008-03-12 08:23, freddiefreelance wrote:
This thread needs new pictures.

You mean of Julian's? They are here. Or maybe you meant orgeat pictures. Or Stumpgrinder pictures. Lots of ground covered here.

Speaking of orgeat... Chip, I do distinctly remember you telling me in the Molokai last October that you were going to send me a bottle of your orgeat. I didn't ask. You brought it up. Well, I'm still waiting! Am I not worthy like pablus? :)

S

HERE are mine.

P

Yes, you are not worthy like I am not worthy.
But I still got some anyway.

So - when are we going to Julians?
I say April. Maybe 2nd Friday or Saturday? 3rd?

Let's all just show up at KailuaGeoff's house without telling him and go from there.

S

On 2008-03-12 10:20, pablus wrote:

Yes, you are not worthy like I am not worthy.
But I still got some anyway.

So - when are we going to Julians?
I say April. Maybe 2nd Friday or Saturday? 3rd?

Let's all just show up at KailuaGeoff's house without telling him and go from there.

I have heard KailuaGeoff talking to me on my radio for two days in a row now. I swear I'm not pupule...

On 2008-03-12 09:39, GatorRob wrote:
I didn't ask. You brought it up. Well, I'm still waiting!

I keep using it up before I can send it......

Next batch out of the FOM Test Kitchens is headed your way, promise!

G

On 2008-03-12 14:35, Chip and Andy wrote:
Next batch out of the FOM Test Kitchens is headed your way, promise!

Nice! Send a case of Lemon Hart too, will ya? :wink:

T

Well I was at Julians last week when I was in Daytona for bike week. It has new owners from two years ago when I was there. Same old bartender at least. It is going downhill fast so stop if you can. They cut open the front doors where the mesh panels were and put glass in there. Poor job and only to allow light in which is stupid in my opinion. Next they removed all of the fiberglass shields out front. You can see where they power cords are still there because they were back lit. There was at least one Witco mask missing. The one on the left wall as you are walking down towards the bar where they sliding panels start to open up the left side. The longer one on the right wall was still there. The new owners don't get it at all. We asked about the shields and they said they were damaged in the last hurricane. No they weren't because my brother lives right down the street and stayed through all of the storms. They survived. We asked about the mask and she said there was never one there? We asked if they still had any of the so called broken shields and she said no. I bet within a year or so it will just be a regular resturant. It will be a sad day when they paint over the mural. The rear tiki bar now looks like a wall mart version of tiki. We started going there in the late 60s for vacation. I grew up with that place and the organ player sining welcome to my world. Whenever I visit I always go to just sit at the bar. Never could as a kid!. We did go to Aku Tiki and had dinner at the Traders there. It still looks good and the restoration is fine without loosing the feel of the past. The Hawaiian Inn recently had a giant piece of cocina rock that was attached to the hotel fall off and crash through the roof of the lobby onto the floor. No one was hurt but they have since stripped the rock off the front. Hopefully they will replace it. With the concrete and rebarb decitegrating after 40+ years of salt air it is amazing it lasted that long. Scott

"just my opinion,i could be wrong"

[ Edited by: TIKI DAVID 2008-03-16 03:19 ]

M

?

Pages: 1 21 replies