Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

WOWEE ZOWEE!

Pages: 1 8 replies

I just witnessed Mission Of Burma live for the first time in my long-been-a-fan life. They effectively tore the Echo Lounge in Atlanta a new asshole....Among the best shows I've ever seen: I mean they RIPPED IT UP (which when you include The Cramps and Kiss that's saying a lot). Stayed at the same hotel. Chatted with Clint Conley and Peter Prescott over breakfast. A very nice weekend!

BK, I droppped you an email about the Hukilau. Did you get it? Please email me en privado. thanks

I saw Mission of Burma the other nite in Philly. I previously saw them last Jan in NYC. Both shows were incredible! Guitar mayhem! They put all other bands to shame! When tiki goes mainstream, that's when I reach for my revolver!

I caught them at the Garage in London around this time last year and it was the best show I've ever seen, bar none. Then I saw them again a couple of days later at All Tomorrow's Parties....wonderful stuff!

Buy the Consonant CD if you're craving Burma type stuff, as it's a grower. I've got some pretty cool shots of the Garage show somewhere so I'll dig them out and post a couple up here sometime.

Trader Woody

That would be great...I know I'm sounding like a groupie here but Clint broke a bass strap which I was given after the show....He and Roger signed it. Nice guys. I'd been waiting for that show for 17 years!

Woody, do you like Swervedriver?

Forgot to mention that there was talk in their camp of a possible new Burma E.P.!

BK, despite being a local band, Swervedriver were pretty much off my radar during their brief spell. At the time there were a lot of piss-poor indie bands around doing the shoe-gazing thing, and I guess I lumped them in with that crowd. Years later and people are still mentioning them with awe, so perhaps I'd do well to check them out properly.

As for Burma, I'll post pics when I get the chance. It wouldn't surprise me if they came out with an EP as they played a couple of new tunes when I saw 'em. (One was admittedly from a Roger Miller LP). Hopefully a DVD will emerge of the shows as well. I've my own footage of half a show and it's pretty amateurish to say the least.

Trader Woody

Pages: 1 8 replies