Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

The Grammy Awards...worth the wait

Pages: 1 6 replies

As usual I tuned into the Grammys tonite to kind of monitor the show while i'm busy with other things, knowing more times than not there will be something worth watching. I was not disappointed when Elvis Costello & Bruce Springsteen broke into the Clash's "London Calling" as a tribute to the late Joe Strummer.

[ Edited by: Shipwreckjoey on 2003-02-24 00:51 ]

T

Yeah, but where was Mick Jones? It would've been cool to see him up there.

I agree. At first glance I thought Paul Simonon was playing bass, but alas, turned out to be the No Doubt bass player.

E

Rudie can't fail! You know what's really amazing about Strummer? One of the last things he did was contribute a song for the closing credits of "Black Hawk Down" (beautiful version of old Irish song "The Minstrel Boy"). This from the same guy who wrote "Working for The Clampdown".

I do not find this ironic. I think human beings are amazing, and the world is amazing, and Strummer was amazing. I am dazzled by the mystery of it all.

peace,
emspace.

DZ

Speaking of "The Clampdown", Sugarlight played it at Hale Hawaii last Saturday. First time I'd heard it in a while, and at my local tiki bar no less! Good call on the DJ's part, I must say...

E

Oh, that is cool! Clash and Tiki - why the hell not? They would have been popular as hell with hot-rodders, juvie-hall graduates and other misfits if they'd existed in the 50s...

I'm an old Clash head. Where I was growing up we couldn't get t-shirts for them or anything like that, so we just made 'em with felt markers. Looked good with our surplus fatigue pants and boots. I was such a misfit I SPIT-SHINED my boots! Used to drive the other kids crazy... :wink:

emspace

S

It was nice that the Clash got their due. Somewhere, Joe Stummer is sneering.

Also gotta give props (is that what the kids say these days?!) to that Cold Play performance. I dig that band.

"I'm gonna buy a gun
and start a war.
If you can tell me
something worth fight for."

Pages: 1 6 replies