Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

March 20th Tonga Room Reopening Party

Pages: 1 29 replies

M

Thursday March 20th is the post-renovation re-opening of the Tonga Room. The website still lists it as a planned date, so I have left a message with the hotel's F&B manager to confirm before going any further. But as Otto suggested, what do you say we bring a gaggle of tiki folks over to show them some love on Thursday?

I'll post again when I hear back, but in the meantime, post if you're interested!

J

As I said on the other thread ... I'm in!

M

All systems are GO at the Tonga!

Who's in for a night at the Tonga? I vote for happy hour.

PLEASE post to this thread if you're interested in going so we can give them a heads up of our group size.

TONGA! TONGA! TONGA!

M

*Who's in for a night at the Tonga? I vote for happy hour.

Team midnite is so there, count us in. Wait! Will there be pirates?

I'll second the motion for happy hour, mais sans pirates.

Tonga Tonga...Ton-GAH!
midnite

Count TofuJoe and I in! Do we have an ETA?

TG

I'm there plus one possibly a couple more!

I think this may be a possibility. Don't think we'll make happy hour, but whatever hour we arrive we will be happy. I hope the "refreshing and exciting updates" include tastier drinks and a floating band that plays polynesian music instead of cannedweddingstylejunkfunk. Either way, Tonga Room is always a classic!

M

Well, I know 5pm is tough for lots of people, but that's when they open and happy hour is until 7pm. Plus there's the parade of slop- er, delicious appetizer buffet. Doubt we can book a section, so I think the best thing is to just fight for as early as possible, and grab tables as you can. Tonga doesn't really have any large tables, and aren't traditionally fans of "special requests".

Im in like Sven (I know it doesn't rhyme, but Flynn didn't sound appropriate).

Has anyone seen pics of the update yet?

M

On 2008-03-17 20:37, Tiki Glam wrote:
I'm there plus one possibly a couple more!

I'm there with Tikiglam along with a couple others.

Did I miss a thread or something.I visited the Tonga room several months ago.
I really dug this place.Did it close down or whats the situataion?
Definitely one of the oldest tiki bars still around, especially since all
the original Trader Vics are long gone!!

M

OK- I have given the Tonga a heads up- try to get there as early as possible - it will be first come first served to tables and barstools. You all know the drill.

TONGA!

J

Hey gang, if I head over straight from work, will someone heading back to the East Bay be willing to give me a ride home when we're done?
Mahalo!

Have fun at the reopening post some photos soon. Enjoy the waterworks!

O
Otto posted on Wed, Mar 19, 2008 10:17 PM

On 2008-03-17 21:34, martiki wrote:
Well, I know 5pm is tough for lots of people, but that's when they open and happy hour is until 7pm.

I'll definitely be there but will be a bit late. Hope to make it before 7!

On 2008-03-19 17:18, JenTiki wrote:
Hey gang, if I head over straight from work, will someone heading back to the East Bay be willing to give me a ride home when we're done?
Mahalo!

We're going over; you can get a ride with us. We do have cloth seats, though, so you might want to bring a Benedryl....

O
Otto posted on Wed, Mar 19, 2008 11:27 PM

On 2008-03-19 23:06, Haole'akamai wrote:

On 2008-03-19 17:18, JenTiki wrote:
Mahalo!

We're going over; you can get a ride with us.

cool can I catch a ride with ya too!?!
close out the night at FI?

M

Looking forward to tonight. I'm really curious as to what's been done to the place.

Plus the only time I EVER ride the cable cars is when I go there...nothing beats the view as you ascend California Street.

See you all there!

[ Edited by: monet2u 2008-03-20 12:04 ]

How did it go last night? How was the "new" Tonga Room?

They've obviously had one too many. :drink: :drink: :drink:

M

How was the "new" Tonga Room?

"Meet the new boss
Same as the old boss"

It's still the Tonga Room in all its glory. It's part historic tiki bar, part reform school detention hall.

Such a great room....shakes head...such a great room.

"Smile and grin at the change all around"
midnite

Sorry, Otto, I guess we were in and out before we even saw you. Did you make it home alright?

Did they at least fix the waterfall behind the bar, or did they just clean the pool?

J

The waterfall is now covered by panels of red glass. We think it's possible that they are just temporary panels while they're fixing the waterfall, but we don't know for sure either way. The pool does look rather nice though.

I don't see any pics guys-what up?

J

We were too busy drinking :wink:

M

I got a few - sorry no good pix of the revised decor. We're on new seating, if that helps:

T

I kinda like the fabric behind Midnite and Michelle. Is that new?

Carrie and I arrived there after 10 because we were at the symphony earlier. Everyone was gone - no doubt driven away by the band!

T

On 2008-03-25 17:57, thejab wrote:
I kinda like the fabric behind Midnite and Michelle. Is that new?

Carrie and I arrived there after 10 because we were at the symphony earlier. Everyone was gone - no doubt driven away by the band!

Had we only made it to the band.

It was one of those funny moments, after a bowl of liquid (I hesitate to call it a drink, drinking it was hazardous), and being completely unable to order a second beating, we all kind of just decided to leave.

See ya next crawl Tonga room.

Pages: 1 29 replies