Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Matchbook Covers - Tiki & non

Pages: 1 2 3 4 160 replies

T

I just picked up a lot of about 200 plus matchbook covers for too much money, ahah!
They are mostly from California and from the 50's/60's. The ones of note are:

TIKI

-Sam's Seafood and Hawaiian Village "visit our fish market and gift shop"

-The Polynesian (3901 Pacific Coast Hwy)

NOT TIKI BUT COOL:

-The Driftwood Room (Valley & Atlantic, Alhambra, CA - dunno if its tiki but cool looking cover)

-The Egyptian Room of the Oasis (Sioux City Iowa)

-"Al the Wop is in Locke, CA Chinatown"
..actually I'll be late for work if I start listing all the cool ones... anyway if there is a particular one people are looking for let me know I might have it! But note I listed the only 2 tiki ones so thats all I got in that dep't!

I recently picked up a 200+ lot of matchcovers myself, all for restaurants & bars of Long Beach, CA, 40s thru 60s! A couple of them are Tiki or Polynesian related. I'll try to scan soon and post.

:tiki:

What is a fair price for a tiki oriented matchbook cover? This past weekend I saw one for "The Tropics" going for $6 at a big antique show in Philly. This was the only tiki related item I found but I didnt buy it. I am not up on the prices for these things and I didnt know if $6 was a deal or a rip off.

What is a fair price for a tiki oriented matchbook cover? This past weekend I saw one for "The Tropics" going for $6 at a big antique show in Philly. This was the only tiki related item I found but I didnt buy it. I am not up on the prices for these things and I didnt know if $6 was a deal or a rip off.

T

That seems fair - some go for less, some go for lots more!

If you like, buy! If you no like, no buy!

I stayed over someone's house a few months ago who had a huge vase-type-thing full of matchbooks from around the world. The temptation was too great, and I tipped the whole lot out on the floor, searching for any Polynesian restaurants or Tiki bars in there.

Not one! Not even a Trader Vic's!

Speaking of which, if anyone wants to do a straight trade of ANY Tiki-ish matchcover for a London's Trader Vic's or two, just get in touch.

Trader Woody

DZ

"The Polynesian" (3901 Pacific Coast Highway, Torrance, CA) later became the venerated "Latitude 20", a featured locale in my collection.

An interesting thing: in all our combined searching over the years, neither Sabu nor I have come up with any sort of paper (menus, postcards, matchbooks, etc.) for the Latitude 20, nor anything BUT paper for The Polynesian (no mugs, ashtrays, etc.)

Strange?!

Tikifish-

Could you possibly post a picture of the Driftwood Room matchbook? I live VERY close to the intersection of Atlantic and Valley, so I'm very curious.

Currently on the corner of that intersection is:

• Conroy's Flowers
  • Mobil gas station
  • watch/jewerly store
  • A Popeye's chicken

Surrounding that is a ton of Chinese restaurants.

Thanks!

T

Sure! I'll do that today at work. Because why work when you can play on TikiCentral and get paid for it?

Sorry if the pic is big but it had to be so you could see the details!

Oh cool, it has that old style phone number listing:

ATlantic 4-8050
WAbash 4-8381
FRontier 8-1247

Very cool, thanks, Tikifish!

Hey Doctor Z, Your right Latitude 20 stuff is hard to find but there is an Arthur Lyman album called "Latitude 20" that should be fairly easy to find. It was recorded there by the owner Hop Luie Woo. Say that one fast 5 times in a row.

Here's a few of ours. there is a Latitude 20 matchbook in there if you look. It was a part of Tommy Lee's empire, apparently. Gecko-there is an original Tahitian Lanai here...and that Reef Hotel looks like one 'swingin place to stay! I find these things to be founts of information! WHo would've ever guessed that there was a tiki joint in Raleigh, North Carolina? (The "South Seas Dining Room" at the College Inn-Quality Motor Courts). Or that there was an Islander rip-off in Brookfield, Wisconsin? Amazing!

Here's some somewhat cropped closeups of the ones I was talking about:

DZ

BK--
Rather than Torrance (Walteria), CA, your "Latitude 20" matchbook is from Stockton, CA - I've never even HEARD of the Latitude 20 in Stockton!!!!!! It appears to have the same address as "the Islander".

Hmmm... looks like more 'tiki archaeology' ahead for Sabu and I...

Jeff Central - I've got a sealed coy of the Lyman LP as well as a sealed copy of "The Surfers: Live and Well at the Latitude 20". (Thanks for the tongue twister!)

Doctor Z
Mix-maestro of the Castaway Lounge,
Redondo Beach, CA

[ Edited by: Doctor Z on 2003-02-27 01:28 ]

A few years ago I took some of my Tiki Match Books and Scanned them at work. I blew them up then cropped em and printed them out on a nice color printer and framed 'em. They came out real good, and the whole project was pretty cheap. Old matchbooks have such a cool look to them, they worked really well this way.

Tikifish, Basement Kahuna, those matchbooks you got there would be perfect for that!

~Hanford

T

Great minds think alike, Hanford, cause that was EXACTLY what I was planning to do with them! And the great thing is, if you get bored with one side, you can just flip the frame 180 degrees and look at the other side!

I have some great long clip frames in mind for the job...

Then I will likely sell the match books themselves cause I am trying to raise cash to buy a home for Mr Tikifish and myself in this insane market... everything must go!!! (But not the mugs... never the mugs!)

That's a great idea, Hanford. I've been looking for a way to decorate the walls in the hall leading to our bar. I'm gonna try that. And Fish strike as soon as you can-You just can't beat the interest rates right now. Fix it forever now if you can. I kicked myself for fixing at 6.85 when I heard it had gotten as low as 6.1 last week!

Hey guys and doll(TikiFish),
I thought I'd add a little info for those who aren't matchbook collectors, and as to why your books are "matchless":

If you have some matchbook covers without matches in them or if the matches have been "shucked", its ok! I (use to) tell new collectors looking at the matchbooks at my (old) store not to let potential buyers/traders make you think matchbooks aren't a good trade value if your books are matchless. In the matchbook trading world, most buyers/traders actually shuck the matches (by prying up the staple or separating the gluepoint where the matches are joined to the cover and tossing or 'shucking' the matches). In other trading arenas, modifying the collectible is a no-no, but is ok in matchbook collecting.

There are, however, some hardcore collectors that want EVERYTHING mint and intact, including the matches. Most though, prefer clean, crisp covers, a clean striker, and don't care about the matches since they shuck them later. Also, if you have ever smelled a collection of matchbooks with all the matches, you'll know that the sulfur-like aroma is not that pleasing. I liken it to the smell of a collection of old Avon perfume bottles with perfume still in them...YUCK! The exception to that are the matches that had actual messages or advertisment printing right on the matches, which is not the case for the matchbooks that all of you have.

Pardon my rambling. I'm on a caffeine overload this morning, and thought some people would like some info on matchbook collecting.

Kahuna. GREAT COLLECTION! Sometimes it IS good to be the owner of an antiques/collectibles store, right? You get the prime pickin's of the lot!

SugarCaddyDaddy

It's kinda cool, yep, although the down side is you have to sell it to eat (as much as I'd love to have everything I've ever handled)....And thanks, that info is very useful, too...never knew. We learn something everyday!

M

Hey ya tikifish,

re: everything must go!!! (But not the mugs... never the mugs!)

"How much for the little girl? The mugs? How much for the mugs?....The mugs. I want to buy your mugs. The little girl, your daughters. Sell them to me. Sell me your children"*

midnite

*Apologies to Belushi.

For all of attending Mondo tiki in Vegas you'll get the first look at our new line of products inspired by matchbook art, for all of you not, the website should be up by then.....finally !

I Cropped out just the face of the matchbook, and I printed it centered on a white page. I framed them with the white around it, as a faux matte. Most people who saw the end result didn't know they were from matchbook covers. I used Don the Beachcombers, The Tropics, and a few others.

I like the idea though of doing the entire matchbook, opened up though. Perhaps it's time for me to get some new matchbooks....

One display that I saw that was kind of cool that an old customer did was to take a very large lazy-susan, with a large lip at the edge, and cut & place your favorite cloth swatch (hawaiian tapa in this case?) on the top of the lazy-susan, and then place your flattened matchbooks in place, and then a fitted (custom-cut) plexiglass or real glass top on top of everything and there's your display! You can rotate the lazy-susan to see all areas of the matchbook, still use it as a lazy susan, and every so often, you can rotate your matchbook collection!

It would also work with cocktail napkins too.

SugarCaddyDaddy

On 2003-02-27 01:52, hanford_lemoore wrote:
A few years ago I took some of my Tiki Match Books and Scanned them at work. I blew them up then cropped em and printed them out on a nice color printer and framed 'em.

Another cool way to display them that i picked up from my friend, Pete, was to blow the images up at your local copier store on the color copier and then spray mount them to foam core. If you use the dark core foam board- it's especially cool.
Then you simply use rolled up acid free tape to attach them to your walls for a clean look. I'll post pics of this in a bit...

F

one thing about keeping you matchbooks unshucked is that its also a fire hazard- matches have been known to ignite from the slightest shifting..

I keep all my matchbooks shucked and in a folder (matchbook sheets)

G
GECKO posted on Fri, Mar 7, 2003 2:05 PM

auwwwiee, ey you guys get some ono lookin match books ya! I get a few I gon pos wen i pau hana(finish work). time fo suck em up den!

ALOHA FRIDAY TO YOU ALL!!

.....hope you wore your aloha shitrs today as we do here on da islands.

G

I managed to get a Tahitian Lanai matchbook in my travels today, and, well, what the heck -- here's a shot or two. They may be a bit clearer than one that was posted earlier on this thread.

Not sure what I'll do with it yet. I've got a few little odds and ends that I may need to shadowbox or something, someday. :)

Cheers,
Gwen Smith

On 2003-02-27 01:23, Doctor Z wrote:
your "Latitude 20" matchbook is from Stockton, CA - I've never even HEARD of the Latitude 20 in Stockton!!!!!! It appears to have the same address as "the Islander." Hmmm... looks like more 'tiki archaeology' ahead for Sabu and I...

[ Edited by: filslash 2008-09-13 12:01 ]

TM

Here's some the match books I've found over the years. I can't figure out why I got them or what I'll ever do with them, but anything Tiki.......it's a sickness. I especially like the Seven Seas and The Castaways - Great graphics!

U

My dad used to own/manage the Polynesian way back in the day....I still have some 8x10 black and white photos of him & my family ( late 50's, early 60's) that I dragged out for my 50th Birthday - threw myself a Luau complete with live Hawaiian band, hula & fire dancer to honor his memory! One of the best days of my life....even have a photo of myself in PJ's ( I was about 3 at the time) sitting down as I watched my sister hula w/ other kids in the back with the stage/ volcano in the background. Other photos include my dad posing with the 'Island Aires' as they pose with the album 'Hawaiian Interlude - Presented by the Polynesian 'that he helped promote. Still have it somewhere...
Would love some matchbooks or other stuff since I'm not sure if I have anything else from the restaurant.
Didn't think anyone would cherish these memories like I do, but looks like this website is going to keep them alive long after I'm gone....Thanks for sharing.

On 2003-02-24 23:03, Doctor Z wrote:
"The Polynesian" (3901 Pacific Coast Highway, Torrance, CA) later became the venerated "Latitude 20", a featured locale in my collection.

An interesting thing: in all our combined searching over the years, neither Sabu nor I have come up with any sort of paper (menus, postcards, matchbooks, etc.) for the Latitude 20, nor anything BUT paper for The Polynesian (no mugs, ashtrays, etc.)

Strange?!

T

Wow! Any chance of sharing photo's/stories of those days?!
Posting it as a new thread in either "Locating Tiki" or "General Tiki" would be great, and I'm sure a lot of other members would love it!

Z
Zeta posted on Tue, Jan 6, 2009 7:30 PM

Aloha Amigos!
From my parents matchbook collection:

IMPERIAL RESTAURANT 1845 Victoria Ave., Niagara Falls, Ontario
Any information about this place?
Z

Z
Zeta posted on Tue, Jan 13, 2009 10:27 PM

The Royal Hawaiian

Honolulu
Z

Matchbook from Wahine, an old Madrileño polynesian bar.
A different picture of one of their cocktails on the back side of each one..
Three down and twenty to go.

A serious collector´s nightmare.
Lucky me I´m not serious.

Hola Zeta.

Haaa! Welcome Mr. Naufrago, and thank you for sharing yet ANOTHER incarnation of this absolute pet image of mine!:

...THIS in comparison to the matchbook's size! :) Could you show the backs of the three you have?
Zeta knows about the Wahine well!

Z
Zeta posted on Wed, Jan 14, 2009 7:41 PM

Hola Mister Naufrago! Hola Bigbrotiki! It's great to finally be together in Tiki Central.

After House of Ming which was the first original European Polynesian Bar, Wahine was the first original 100% Spanish Polynesian Bar. It was so successful it became a chain. All in Madrid.
Hasta luego.
Zeta

Z
Zeta posted on Wed, Jan 14, 2009 7:49 PM

Back to the matchbooks...

Did the Hilton in Maui had a Tiki bar?

TS

Found these two books intact at the flea market.

Haaa! to you Bigbrotiki.

In Spanish there is a word that I like a lot to describe posts like yours: APABULLANTE!

Here are the back of the matchbooks. Not unknown Spanish tiki mugs here.
Just a humble Piña Paraiso and a Daiquiri de platano. Maybe on the next ones...

Sorry, but can not find the third one.

[ Edited by: Mister Naufrago 2009-01-15 09:51 ]

Here's mine

Here are some new finds. Some places I have never heard of.

My favorite in the non category. Remember to "close before striking" you don't want to start a wildfire while your watching the nukes going off.

Z
Zeta posted on Thu, Jan 15, 2009 6:06 PM

Nice pics everyone! Specially yours Senor Castaway!

The Islander, Warwick, Rhode Island. The place is still open but looks more like a clinical analysis laboratory than a bar.

A few more
Interior of the Aloha Room

Coco Palms

Hawaiian Hut

Kon Tiki

Z
Zeta posted on Fri, Jan 16, 2009 1:45 PM

Nice Sputnikmoss!

Wong Kai Miami Florida. Chinese and Polynesian food
I have this and other matchbooks twice, If anyone is interested in trading, let me know.

This thread motivated me to go dig out one of the boxes of matchbox covers that has been in my family for over 50 years. In going through the first box I came across these. The Trader Vics is from London. I included the Topper Motel because of the corny artwork. Most of The Matchbooks I came across are from Reno and Vegas. I am sorry for the poor scan. I will have to make some type of display for them. Thanks for the tips on these.

Talking about whorehouses....
This matchbook comes from what seems to be a tiki themed one.

In Spain, Bar Americano is a term used since the mid sixties to name “houses of ill reputation” (No offense intended :) )
It´s a long story related to American military bases on Spanish territory.

Haaa! That's a funny fact that even this European was not privy to, thanks for filling us in, and the thanks for that matchbook. And PTD, having to look at all those out of focus images still hurts my eyes.

Here is an ode to the art of the match book, celebrating the artistry that went into making these little mementos, often now the only relic left of once grand nightspots and forgotten hidaways. To continue with the sexy theme, my readers might be familiar with this, a classic from the "embossed breasts" genre:

Pretty racy for its time. But how about the inside!:

Damn, spicy indeed.
Matchbooks became not only sculptural in regards to breasts, as evidenced in this "Christian's Hut" match book I posted a while ago:

American matchbooks were so far advanced in their art that even English businesses like the London Beachcomber had their books manufactured in the U.S.:

Matchbooks got quite elaborate, and to match the over-the-top Vegas-style splendor of Danny Balsz's "The Tikis", this Cinemascope book with GOLDEN matches seems just right:

Here's the inside:

Here's the back:

Here is the inside text and map, next to the giant fire-breathing Tiki from the match cover (as seen in the BOT p. 110 and 111):

And because every urban archeologist deserves a closer look, here the map of the grounds, even more blown up:

Pages: 1 2 3 4 160 replies