Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Tiki inspired perfume oils.

Pages: 1 11 replies

FINALLY - my obsessions are merged!

Before you scoff, please know that I consider the proprietor/perfumer, Elizabeth, to be an absolute GENIUS. I have nearly 200 of her blends and each is perfection. She's pretty thoroughly researched the things she gets inspiration from (Goth, steampunk, magick & pagan subcultures as well as literature, art, science, etc). These things, to her, aren't "novelty", they're her life. What I'm saying is - she "gets" it because she lives it. So withouth a doubt, these scents are going to be amazing and accurate.

Check it out:
Black Phoenix Alchemy Lab

This was Elizabeth's announcement yesterday (Which was like Christmas, my birthday and retirement all rolled into one):

*April first is coming, and at BPAL, that means foolishness. Last year we brought you the Dogs Playing Poker Salon Series. This year, we are thrilled to present:

++ ATOMIC LUAU LOUNGE
In the spirit of Polynesian Pop and Tiki Culture, we present Black Phoenix Alchemy Lab's Atomic Luau Lounge: the Exotica Collection.

Tiki Culture became a phenomenon in the late 50's, likely inspired by Hawaii's admission to the union in 1959 and by the memories of World War II veterans that were stationed in the South Pacifi. Tiki enthusiasts were influenced by a panoply of Polynesian themes, and they embraced pop renditions of island artwork, dress, and music, revamping them with a distinctly campy Western flair.

This is our tribute to Donn Beach, a true Pisces if there ever was one. Light the torches, bust out the leis, and bust out the Martin Denny LPs! Without you, Donn, we wouldn't pu pu platters to gorge on, or Zombies to chug!

TIKI QUEEN
Monoi de Tahiti, vanilla, white coconut, tuberose, ylang ylang, white musk, red hibiscus, and neroli.

TIKI KING
Black coconut, black musk, lemon blossom, and ironwood bark.

++ ATOMIC LUAU LOUNGE: THE BAR
BLUE FIRE
Papaya, blueberry, lemongrass, and gin.

GOLDEN WAVE
Tangerine, gin, passion fruit, guava, and tonic.

RANGOON RIPTIDE
Pineapple, mandarin orange, raspberry, passion fruit, and rum.

SCREECHING PARROT
Golden rum, apricot liquor, pineapple, pomegranate, ginger, brandy, grapefruit, and pink lime.

TE PO
Jamaican rum, almond liquor, orange water, sugar syrup, lime peel, black cherry, vodka, and mint.

UPA UPA
Spiced rum, coconut, pineapple, and vanilla.

++ ATOMIC LUAU LOUNGE: FLOTSAM
BOO BAM
Bamboo reed, palm frond, and hibiscus.

MARAE
Vanilla orchid, Monoi tiare, gardenia, and light incense.

MOAI
Volcanic ash and Easter Island palm.

MOANA
Seaweed, awapuhi, and sea foam.

OPUHI
Ginger blossom and vanilla orchid.

TUPAPAU
White sandalwood, pikaki, 'umi'umi-o-dole, and plumeria.*

I CAN'T WAIT! I've ordered two of everything so if anyone wants a sample, LMK.
Cheers!

Well, she said all the right things in her little intro. And the scent mixes sound intriguing. Good find, I say.

Te Po looks like it might be her take on the Mai Tai - except for the black cherry and vodka. Since vodka has no "smell" other than it just smelling like alcohol I'm guessing that addition to the description might just be to say, "hey folks, this one's extra boozy smelling!".

[ Edited by: Grenadine 2008-03-22 16:44 ]

Aaw, it's been done. :wink: ...just kiiidding. What little there was in the Polynesian pop era was SO bad, it was "Run !" if you smelled it, not Rum:

That site looks very intriguing. Maybe it will finally help to answer the question "Have you been drinking again?" with "But no honey, I just put on a few splashes of Upa Upa !"

OMG! The Mai Tai cologne? HILARIOUS. I can only imagine how bad it must have been. Or worse, if any of it ever resurfaces from grandpa's basement - how bad it must smell now! shudders :o

Bay rum never went away. It's is more of an ingredient than a brand - like, "lavender" or, "vanilla". It continues to be a common note in men's fragrance. I love bay rum blends.

Thanks for posting those pics! I'm totally going to use the Mai Tai one as an avatar. :lol:

I smell of booze most of the time anyway, can they make something that smells of stale cigarettes to go with it, then I'll have the total bar vibe going on!

Seriously though, they sound really nice, the flotsam range especially.

Near Topic: The tiki shower room at my house now features Organix brand hair products that noticeably smell great with a tropical sort of bent. The "Smoothing Shea Butter Shampoo" hits you with the aroma of coconut and when you finish with the "Vanilla Silk Conditioner" you're olfactory nerves are in island heaven. (Does nice things for the hair too.)

If they could bottle up the smell of the Kon Tiki Tucson...

They'de have a real winner!!!

48 years of pure tiki!

( booze and cigs!)

How about a little splash of wickedness ?

OMG, uncle trav! That is pure awesomeness! Or the exact opposite. :lol:
(Uh... is that supposed to be her hair?)

Cheekytiki - they actually have used the smell of cigarettes (smoke, ash, pipe, cigar, tobacco, leaf, kush/weed, close and yes, STALE butts) in their scents. And for the most part they're not bad. For instance, the scents based on the Dogs Playing Poker paintings or the one she made with David Bowie and the glam scene in mind:

STARDUST
When the holidays roll around, not everyone has mistletoe, caroling and cookies on their minds. This scent is a paean to celebrating hard: nights covered in glitter and dusted with cocaine, flutes of Cristal clutched in shaky hands, leather and lace, the Spiders From Mars in the background, and twisting, sweaty limbs entangled in dark corners. Hairspray and cigarette smoke is the incense in this temple to decadence, strobe and mirrors replace the devotional candles, and Bolan sings the hymns. This scent is for everyone that has every drifted off into Quaalude-induced reverie to the beat of a tribal 4-on-the-floor: the sound of Mott the Hoople, Sweet, Slade or the Dolls. This scent reflects the futurism, self-indulgence and excess of the Glitter 70's: champagne, hyacinth, tuberose, ylang ylang and flashing white musk with jonquil, tobacco flower, white sandalwood and a pale poppy.

That one was pretty rank on me. In the bottle it was really cool, but on my skin it was hairspray and cig smoke with a cheap champagne undertone. Blech. Stupid skin chemistry.

Alright. I'll shut up about perfume now.

On 2008-03-23 08:55, uncle trav wrote:
How about a little splash of wickedness ?

You know Wicked Wahine is still available?

Oh god! It IS!!

What's wrong with me that I want it?

Pages: 1 11 replies