Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Beachbum Berry interview in BastardoSaffrin's blog

Pages: 1 13 replies

Hi!

I have interviewed the Bum for my blog (which is in Spanish) and, since the result is quite interesting, I have published the English version too, so all the TikiCentralites can read it.

Just forgive my weird English. You can read it here.

Mahalo,

BS

Good interview, thanks for taking the time to translate.

J

Mucho gracias senor! Excellent interview BS.

M

Excellent work! I always enjoy reading Jeff.

Nice work!

I cannot agree more to his choice of drink in 1934 Zombie..i also like rich, heavy-bodied rum drinks! and the Mai Tai is also favorite of mine.:drink:

Bastardo, great interview! The Bum is the best, isn't he? Not only the foremost authority on Tiki cocktails, but totalmente majo as well. Excellent questions on your part. Thanks!

Thanks for your compliments!

Anyway, it's not difficult to get a good result with Beachbum Berry. The good thing here is that usually, when we read an interview about tiki, it's in a general media (NY Times, etc.) When you write for a tiki-iniciated audience, you can go deeper in certain issues, and that's what make it interesting.

On 2008-03-26 13:47, BastardoSaffrin wrote:
Hi!

I have interviewed the Bum for my blog (which is in Spanish) and, since the result is quite interesting, I have published the English version too, so all the TikiCentralites can read it.

Just forgive my weird English. You can read it here.

Mahalo,

BS

Good interview. Since he has not been to Europe since the 80s, did you do your interview in the US; over the phones; via e-mail;...? Anyway, you must have been enjoying yourself the whole time.

I wish I could have done it in person, but I did the interview vie e-mail. Jeff Berry is very accessible, and he was very kind in every mail we sent each other.

Little Fragrant Tiare, I agree with your choices. I really like the Zombie, but it's a pain in the ass to mix. When I don't feel like mixing 2 tbsp grapefruit juice with 1 of cinnamon syrup and add 6 drops of pernod and blahblahblah, a Mai Tai is the next option.

On 2008-04-01 14:09, BastardoSaffrin wrote:
..a Mai Tai is the next option.

Actually i make much more Mai Tais than Zombies..

I like to try different rum combos..i`m now awaiting a bottle of 15 year Silver Seal demerara rum and cannot wait to try it in a Mai Tai.

One of the IPBartenders said that one of the closest rums to the 17 year JW&N rum is the Silver Seal demerara 28..which is not available anymore as far as i know.

You can find many nice demerara rums and Jamaican rums from Silver Seal and demerara distillers here in Robertos shop (Italy) : http://www.r2mshop.com/

I have now tried the Silver Seal pure demerara 15 years from Roberto and i must say that this is a real nice demerara with the typical very rich demerara taste and this one also has bit of a bite due to the 55%.

Its distilled 1992 and bottled 2007 by Diamond distillery.

It came with the blue parrot pictured label, very nice.

[ Edited by: Little fragrant Tiare 2010-11-20 06:21 ]

It must be great... 102 bucks...

Thanks for the recommendation!

Yes its very pricey..but in my opinion worth every cent still but nothing you can buy too often. There are more very interesting rums from SS and also Demerara distillers on his site.

[ Edited by: Little fragrant Tiare 2010-11-20 06:21 ]

Pages: 1 13 replies