Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

My First Tiki

Pages: 1 15 replies

Well thanks for a lot of advice and tips everything i've read has helped in one way or another. Not only is this my first picture post but aslo my first tiki. Hopefully the pics show up.
Thanks again for all the advice.

Here's my 40in by 15 in Mexican Fan palm log

Progress after my first day

Next day refining

I only used the aqua net for the back and the fuzzies, I bought a cheap little torch for all the detail burns. I just thought this looked cool.

After Burning

A little walnut stain from a friends garage...

It's 8pm and my tiki is currently air drying...

I started with a new untouched log yesterday morning and have a tiki I'm truly proud of today. I used a variety of tools from a small electric chainsaw to an assortment of hand carving tools.

Any advice is desired and appreciated, thanks again for all the educational posts.

H
harro posted on Fri, Mar 28, 2008 5:27 AM

great first tiki - and damn fast too!

welcome to TC, keep posting.

Your first one ?
Its fantastic ! Good work !

Tark

Looking good new tiki guy!
Welcome to the tribe.

B

Ditto what those guys said King-bilt and COOL Finish job too.

T

I really am diggin' the aquaNet blow torch. Nice stuff!

Beautimus! Fantastic for 1st one out. Now you know what to do, so go crank your next!

Please tell me you didn't use the Aquanet to burn this!! Great job on this one. Now that the carving bug has bitten, when can we expect the next one?

That is a killer first tiki,Keep up the good work.

I'm going to put a two tone stain on this one to finish it off, then the tiki ski is the limit. I need to either purchase a wood planner to remove the bark or something because that whole process ate up most of my time.

Does anyone have any cheaper tips than a wood planner for removing the bark?

And has anyone carved in yucaliptus, I know it burns well in my fire place but what is it like for tiki's?

Thanks again for all those who place advice on this site it is really helpful.

More finished pics to come.

PEACE AND CHICKEN grease
King-bilt OUT...

That is an amazing first tiki!

The aqua-net blow torch made me laugh, we used to use that stuff to power potato cannons. Super flammable.

H
hewey posted on Fri, Mar 28, 2008 5:22 PM

Great first tiki mate, you've obviously done your homework, and you've got "the eye" for it too :D

My recommendation would be to invest in a small propane torch (like the one below). You get a much more controllable flame, so you can detail the tiki a lot better. Mine cost $15 from a local hardware store. :D

And has anyone carved in yucaliptus, I know it burns well in my fire place but what is it like for tiki's?

Euc is great for carving, but damn hard! :lol: I beleive Marcus uses it for most of his tikis, shown here with "Bongo the tiki"

S

Welcome, simply one of the best first tikis i have seen.
Nice work.

Here's the finished product. The pics were taken by a good friend and an awesome photographer http://www.parris-studios.com/#. (Check out his blog). He came over for dinner and couldn't resist snapping a few pics, he's trully a talent. Thanks again for all the support Mahalo.

My first Tiki ever, and one to remember...

Thanks Again

Let me know what you think of the tiki and my hand painted sign.

Peace and Chicken Grease
King, out

[ Edited by: King-bilt 2008-03-29 07:52 ]

[ Edited by: King-bilt 2008-03-29 07:53 ]

[ Edited by: King-bilt 2008-03-29 08:30 ]

[ Edited by: King-bilt 2008-03-29 08:31 ]

[ Edited by: King-bilt 2008-03-29 08:35 ]

K

sweet first attempt

K

Thanks to everyone for the kind and informative posts. There are trully some amazing artists who grace these posts, simply inspiring..

Peace and chicken grease,

King-B out.

Pages: 1 15 replies