Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

"Great Cocktails" TV Show

Pages: 1 4 replies

I've been Tivo'ing (is that a word?) Great Cocktails on the Fine Living network for the last few weeks. Last Thursday's episode featured a small bit on Trader Vic Bergeron and the recipe for the original Mai Tai, along with some shots of the San Francisco TVs location. There was also a small segment on how rum is made and its origins. It looks like they might be re-running it a few times this week if you can catch it. The show itself is not bad if you want some drink recipes, even if the host is a little over the top.

http://www.fineliving.com/fine/shopping_with_chefs/episode/0,3147,FINE_29696_51446,00.html

[ Edited by: Jason Wickedly 2008-03-30 11:39 ]

Although the recipe on the web page is not the original TV Mai Tai, it comes closer than many, if not most.

On 2008-03-30 11:34, Jason Wickedly wrote:
I've been Tivo'ing (is that a word?) Great Cocktails on the Fine Living network for the last few weeks. Last Thursday's episode featured a small bit on Trader Vic Bergeron and the recipe for the original Mai Tai, along with some shots of the San Francisco TVs location.

Thanks for the info. I love shows on Cocktail drinks. In fact I even have it as a keyword on my tivo (please not the Tom Cruise movie again). One of my favorite drink shows is "Three sheets" on MOJO. Not really a show about making cocktails but about drinking culture around the world. And you learn about many drinking customs around the globe.

The Modern Marvels Episodes "Distilleries" and "Distilleries 2" are both very good about covering information on how different hard liquors are made and going into the history of some of that.

There has been Good Eats episodes on Cocktails, I found them somewhat disappointing.

The show "Cocktail Kings" I think is pretty lame. They try to gimmick it up with contests making it useless.

There was show that had a male and female bartender hosts that talked about drinks and made them. It lasted like less than a season on some cable channel. It was real a good show but must of got canceled. I wish I remembered the name of it, maybe someone else here can remember it for me.

Thanks for the info. I'll add it to me season passes if I get the channel.

H

Cool-thanx for the heads up on the TV/SF segment. I've watched the show several times and it has some....uhhhh...interesting cocktails, to say the least. A couple that come to mind right off the bat: the martini made with tobacco infused vodka (tobaccotini) and the drink that called for squid ink as an ingredient--can't remember what it was called.

I see this series is on Hulu now, Tiki Mistiquey and all.

http://www.hulu.com/search?query=Great+Cocktails&st=0

Pages: 1 4 replies