Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Tiki News

Pages: 1 9 replies

T

Being a big fan of Tiki news back in the mid 90's, I t'd love to see OTTO issue a BOX SET of ALL the TIKI NEWS zines.

How great would that be ?

Maybe have some cool artwork by SHAG (one of the main instigators of the Tiki revivial) and, of course, extra notes and stuff by Sven.

I'm missing some of the early issues of Tiki News and would LOVE to have a BOX set of the entire collection.

Anyone else in here interested in this sort of thing ?

I know I'd buy one.

I emailed OTTO and suggested it.

Anyone else interested should do this too...I know you're all on his list.

Just a thought.

EDIT :

So I dug them out and found out that I have issues 8,10,11,12,13,14 (Exotica Erotica) ,15,16,17 (These 3 are in color) I have 2 issues of 17.

Very intersting : SHAG has an ad for graphic design and illustration with his phone number and address in issue #8

[ Edited by: tikiyaki 2008-03-30 13:54 ]

[ Edited by: tikiyaki 2008-03-30 13:59 ]

T

yes and how about the next issue.

New issue would be nice. I paid for a subscription, and then he stopped publishing! I want new issues to come out!!!

I think I will procrastinate with my responce to your question. How can I support something as vague as a subscription to Tiki News. I'd rather throw my $$$ into a bucket of piss.

P.S. Is the web site still taking $$ for subscriptions??

EEEEeeeeeeAAAAaaaaaaOOOOooooooWWWWWwwwwWWWw

[ Edited by: The Sperm Whale 2008-03-31 07:17 ]

did the tiki news antology suggestion to Otto a while ago...also suggested publishing unpublished submissions (like the one that got me MY free subscription) as well..hes a BUSY GUY and probably doesnt have the time to PROPERLY design something he would feel proud enough of to unload on the tiki masses..that is my take on it...it WOULD be good but a lot of material from then has become a little dated..it would require some caretaking

On 2003-12-22 15:19, Otto wrote:
All I can say at this point is hang in there and you will be duly rewarded.

Teehee.

I worked the gate at Oasis in 2004 and sat next to a table that was decorated with the cover art for issue 18 which was supposed to have a pirate theme, just like Oasis IV.

I enjoyed Tiki News for what it was, and I still like to flip through my old copies.

If anyone wants to get rid of issues 1-6, I'd love to fill in that gap in my collection. :)

Obviously Tiki News is history. I certainly don't expect a new issue. We have Tiki Magazine now, a full sized color zine with all the Tiki Stuff fit to print. Great stuff, too.

What I'm looking for is the anthology, because, at this point, it would be cool to see the ground zero of this little revival....and THAT, is Tiki news.
Important historical stuff, IMO.

The beginning. I'd love to see issues 1-7, and the other ones I'm missing.

Anyway, I can see that alot of people are pissed off about their subscription money not getting returned, so I guess there are sour grapes.
What a bummer.

yep, posted a thread on f.o.m last week on this. i love the old tiki news. i guess what would be so great about something like a box set or book/anthology, would be the oportunity for those whom never got issues, or those of us missing issues (i only have 11-17) to get to see the long out of print stuff. it would also be cool to see the progression the zine made from issue to issue. i also agree and understand he doesnt have time for new issues, but maybe insted of a tiki art now 4 book, a tiki news book insted.(i own and love/adore my tiki art now books so dont take that the wrong way.)i think tiki magazine has done an amazing job carrying the torch, but again for history sake i think it would be great.

S
Swanky posted on Tue, Apr 1, 2008 6:30 AM

Hey, it's a zine. Kick it old school and make one up yourself! Print it at Kinkos...

Pages: 1 9 replies