Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

New Tapa Lamp

Pages: 1 21 replies

A

I've made another homemade lamps. They have these at Oceanic Arts. I mean the conga drum-Torpedo shaped lamps on the right side of this picture.

I started with this simple frame.

Then I added some Tapa cloth.

I finished this lamp, but, I don't have a finished picture. I'll try to get one. It looks cool all lit up.
Mahalo,
Al

I like the torpedo / conga drum lamp, but I really, really like the other one in the first picture. The one with the shells. They have some similar lamps at the Hawaiian Inn here and I've always thought they were the nicest fixtures I've ever seen. Do you know if Oceanic Arts makes those, and how much they cost? Or perhaps you can share how you afixed the shells to the lamp you made.
Mahalo.

A

Kailuageoff,
The first picture was taken at Oceanic Arts. Leroy and Bob made them, they are too cool. The lamps they sell are very pricey. The torpedo lamps are $300.00 per. I think the shell lamps are almost as high.

They have the coolest lamps at OA. Here's a close up of the lamp you like.

This lamp is at Sam's Seafood. the shells are wired together. You start with a wooden ring, then thread wire thru pre drilled holes. the shells are drilled and then wired to the ring and each other. I don't think it would be to difficult. I'm going to try it someday.

Mahalo,
Al

Cool stuff Al. I still gotta cruz over when I'm at the in-laws in OS. Talented fellow you are. Oh man that is very Yoda-ish.

Very cool lamp Al.
I especially like how it is energy efficient. Did you get the tapa from OA also? I know that they sell it there but I remember it being really expensive.

And the very best thing about the conga drum lamp Al made is - it' mine, mine, mine all mine!

Oh yeah, thanks again Al.

G

good job Al! i lak it a lot!

I'll post my shell lamp one up wen i'm done.

That's great craftsmanship, Al....I love it. Is that a low heat type of bulb?

[ Edited by: Basement Kahuna on 2003-02-25 12:55 ]

Al,
More superb creations. I don't have the head room to make use of these large lamps but I still plan on using your ceiling hugging tapa lamp plan when I can find a round piece of material. (I think you used a placemat, no?) If you know where a round, symetrical piece like you used can be found please let me know.

Hey, I have a birthday comming up...in a few months.

Al, LOVE the lamp! Beautiful work!

Now, is the fabric wrapped all around like those at OA, or is it just like it was pictured with like 4 strips and openings?

Just curious. Fantastic either way!

A

OK,
Danny, Come on down, anytime.

Spike, I got the Tapa at "Momalanis Island Traditions" in Oceanside. This place is to cool, from Gecko's Tikis, to the Saturday Uke class it is the greatest place. I pay about $40.00 for a 4'X 3' Tapa.

Momalani's Island Traditions
1906 Oceanside Blvd O-side CA 92054
760-754-1276

Bong, Thanks Bro.

Gecko, Thanks Bro, Praise from Ceaser.

BK, Thats a floresents bulb. They are much cooler and use less electricity. I think they're way safer.inside non UL approved lamps
Hey check this site
http://www.jacksfiji.com/store/merchant.mv?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=jacks&Category_Code=011

MrTikiBar, I got that Tapa Round at Momalanis. I think it was $25.00. Tapa's not cheap. I can get you one if you want. Or check this site, I've never bought anything from them.
http://www.jacksfiji.com/store/merchant.mv?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=jacks&Category_Code=024

Stingray, Happy Birthday, Thanks, I covered the whole thing. My camera broke so I didn't get a picture. I'll take one next time I go to Bong's.

L
laney posted on Wed, Feb 26, 2003 5:41 AM

Al, great work! If you ever want to study the shell lamps, one JUST like the one pictured, and another, UFO shaped one I have, feel free to drop me a line as mine are still on my living room floor and need new supports, wiring, and chains. They are heavy! When looking into making these I thought they were way too labor intensive, as every shell is wired, and the supplies alone are mucho $$$$. Plus I can't get away from my buying price of $29.00! You are quite the master lamp builder though! Much success to you!

Al, I just got back from Bong's house after practicing for our Smoking Menuhuenes(?) band and I got to see the lamp in person. Bong already has some very cool stuff in his bar (too much cool stuff for one guy) and that lamp is so professionaly made that it'll make the bar complete. I am very impressed, good work Al. Super cool lamp.

Neat-O with a capital O.

[ Edited by: purple jade 2006-03-20 21:15 ]

A

I finally made it over to TikiBongs house and I got these pictures with my new camera. Bong did a great job hanging it and finishing it up. It looks great in his bar. I got to make another one of these.
Mahalo,
Al

Great lamp al-tapa! You da pro.

G
GECKO posted on Wed, Apr 9, 2003 1:20 AM

dats wun cherry lamp you gon make 'fo me AL! jus talkin funny. it is a nice lamp though. looks like braddah Bong been bizzy on da kine since da last time i was ova der. his tiki bar.

sweet

Beautiful Work!....
I would love to try to make one myself someday

On 2005-06-09 13:27, BambooPrincess wrote:
Beautiful Work!....
I would love to try to make one myself someday

Then you should look at This Step-by-step Lamp Making thread, or This one for making a large Outrigger Canoe Lamp. Al makes beautiful things.

Rev. Dr. Frederick J. Freelance, Ph.D., D.F.S

[ Edited by: freddiefreelance on 2005-06-09 14:11 ]

T

la'Orana
You do vary nice work. I feel like making somthng now lol. Hummmm thank's for posting my pic's to Al.

Mahalo
TikiNoni

H
hewey posted on Tue, Jun 21, 2005 3:30 PM

cool lamps

night time never looked so good

Pages: 1 21 replies