Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Ever buy something you didn't necessarily want, until you found out it's tiki?

Pages: 1 20 replies

Last week I was in an antique shop and saw a couple of tiki looking decanters. They were both the same, white ceramic faux stone finish about 10" tall maybe. I passed on them, because they didn't really look like the tikis I normally buy (i.e. not mugs). I did note the name though--stamped "Strikow" on the bottom.

So I come home, look them up here and on Ooga Mooga, and turns out they are in BOT, and have the Big Bro's seal of approval. Now I reaaaly want them!! The shop won't open again till Thursday. All I can do is stare though the darkened window of the closed shop and console myself that at least I can see they are still there.

The fact that these are collectible has made them much more attractive to me. I feel like a bit of a hypocrite.

[ Edited by: ManFromT.I.K.I. 2008-04-01 13:59 ]

Ha ha...if you want them now just because you saw them in those two places, maybe, but my hope is that my work not only gives you the confidence of knowing THAT they are something noteworthy, but WHY (in this case because they are fine examples of Tiki Modernism). My goal is that by creating a context and thus meaning for the objects I show in my books I demonstrate and convince that these pieces are interesting and unique. Books provide information and education to be taken in, and if you apply that new understanding, it's not hypocrisy.

[ Edited by: bigbrotiki 2008-04-01 14:34 ]

T
teaKEY posted on Tue, Apr 1, 2008 4:02 PM

The whole focus of my relatively newfound interest is in collecting examples of tiki modernism, or mid century primitivism. I've read here about the concept of "good bad" and "bad bad" as it relates to these objects. I'm still developing my aesthetic sense in this area, so I do need to rely on more educated eyes than my own--when in this case--these objects fall somewhere in the gray area for me. The fact that these decanters were influential on other forms to follow does enhance my appreciation of them, so thanks for providing that context.

From now on, it's "when in doubt, buy first and ask questions later".

Yes, thanks teaKEY--That's the one!

Here is some visual material to show how that liquor bottle was influential in Tikidom:

Here it is as a woodcarving by influential Tiki veteran Milan Guanko, amongst his other work

And Paul Marshal Products produced an altered version...

... which led to this lawn statue (here on my front porch):

It also was used as a lamp base (can anyone post that here?)
But the most Tiki-like use of the design was this:

This Tiki Motel stood in Vernal, Utah, on 311 East Main (500 feet from the State Dinosaur Museum!)

It has been theorized that this design was based on a Moai, but I am leaning more towards the Fang mask concept, as seen in Tiki Modern on pages 36, 37, 38 and 39

Very astute analysis of stylistic development there. I know that this trend toward the elongation of the head and of forms in general was prevalent in much early to mid 20th century "high brow" art as well. I'm thinking of Giacometti, but I know there are better examples. Perhaps Brancusi or some of the Constructivists.

My feeling is the the influence was mostly one way. That is, the "primitives" influencing the western artist (i.e. Picasso) which then may have been (subconsciously?) recycled again in the works of some of the modernist tiki sculptors.

Sorry if I'm reaching far afield here. I have a little spare time on my hands . . .

8T

This is one of pair outside the entrance to the King Kamehameha Tiki House in Sedalia, MO

On 2008-04-02 16:58, ManFromT.I.K.I. wrote:
My feeling is the the influence was mostly one way. That is, the "primitives" influencing the western artist (i.e. Picasso) which then may have been (subconsciously?) recycled again in the works of some of the modernist tiki sculptors.

Sorry if I'm reaching far afield here. I have a little spare time on my hands . . .

A daring theory, indeed! There is a book out there that shares that point of view somewhat...Cool book, if it just wouldn't be full of that ugly WITCO stuff! :)

Score!!!! They weren't priced, so the lady asked how much I could give her. I said $5 a piece. She thought for a moment and said: "I can do $15 for the pair". A pretty good deal.

Cool, with the original cork tops, too, they are often missing.

VERY cool! You did very well! They usually go for around $30-$35 each on eBay. I know 'cause I keep getting skunked on 'em.

Classic Silver Line Boats

[ Edited by: SilverLine 2008-04-03 19:39 ]

I'm wondering if it has a design flaw where the nose flows directly into the bottom lip. No top lip? or maybe a hairlip eh?
Just the same, wouldn't mind having it myself.

Well JT, you identified one of the main aspects of the piece that was also off putting to me. So much so that, as I say, I passed on the first go round. But I'm starting to really appreciate these formal ambiguities. They really give the piece a lot of interest, and I dare say, elevate it a realm approaching fine art modernist sculpture. Certainly more so than any of my mugs. I mean, the mugs are fun and whimsical, but no one is going to mistake them for fine art. OK, reality check here, no one is going to mistake the Strikow for fine art either, but it's less a caricature of a tiki and closer to an independent artistic interpretation and abstraction of primitive form that can stand on its own merit.

P
Paipo posted on Sun, Jun 22, 2008 2:27 PM

Found this while doing some research today, and thought it belonged here:

The mag is from 1966. There's another issue of Pagan Swanky posted here.

Good one! She would look fine wrapped around my front porch statue, too.
What the hell is she sitting on?

...all this artifact research has derailed this thread form the original question, I apologize.

[ Edited by: bigbrotiki 2008-06-22 14:59 ]

On 2008-04-03 15:14, ManFromT.I.K.I. wrote:
Score!!!! They weren't priced, so the lady asked how much I could give her. I said $5 a piece. She thought for a moment and said: "I can do $15 for the pair". A pretty good deal.

damn good score indeed! never seen anything like that in the antique stores around here :(

C

On 2008-04-01 16:02, teaKEY wrote:
http://www.ooga-mooga.com/cgi-bin/all/mug.cgi?mode=view&mug_id=948

When I first bought my house there were two ceramic masks that looked like that hanging on the wall of the kitchen. They creeped me out and they ended up in a box of stuff that went to a thrift store. Now 5 years later I would probably keep them. Cest la vie

On 2008-06-22 14:27, Paipo wrote:

Nice image! I can see why he is smiling :) Does this picture go with "Stripped-down skin Lizzie or Soft Spot on a Show Stopper ??!! :lol:
Freddie

T

Back to the original question.... :wink: I have not stayed away from anything and then bought it later after finding out it was "tiki", but the opposite problem has happened to me. I've bought things that I -thought- were tiki only to regret it later. These forums and Sven's books are a real educational experience and things I used to think were tiki I now realize are just wannabe knock-offs. At least it's nothing I spent much money on and no one that visits is any the wiser (as long as I don't invite any of you tiki-philes over) :D

This fits into Tiki in two ways.

First is the tiki that just jumps off the page.

Second is the title. It probably stands for "People Against Goodness And Normalcy", which describes Tiki people to a 'T', and was probably a forerunner to Tiki Magazine. :)

On 2008-06-22 14:27, Paipo wrote:

Pages: 1 20 replies