Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

The Queenly cocktail

Pages: 1 3 replies

Anyone else peruse that fine web page of all things N'Awlins, The Gumbo Pages?

Because, truly, La Verandah is always learning something new and amusing from it, especially Chuck Taggart's blog (http://www.gumbopages.com/looka/ ). The newest thing I've learned is the preferred drink of the present Queen of England and her late Mum.

The Dubonnet Cocktail. Equal parts London dry gin and Dubonnet Rouge for the current monarch; 2 parts Dubonnet to 1 part gin for the Queen Mum. On the rocks with a slice of lemon underneath.

Doesn't this sound, I dunno, ever so Roaring '20s?

Dubonnet, I understand, is an aperitif, rather like vermouth, dating to 1846, has a spicy-sweet taste, quite cheap.

I can't recall what the tiki drinks books say about Dubonnet -- anyone know?

That is very interesting Carmine, although I'm not quite sure how that ties into tiki cocktails?

The Queen Mum was also quite fond of Gin & Tonics, as legend has it. She started with red wine at lunch at noon, usually followed by port. At 6pm she had cocktails, followed by champagne with dinner. A conservative estimate puts the number of alcohol units she drank at 70 a week (the recommended limit for a woman is 14) but she's the one who lived until the age of 101, so take that, teetotallers. No fewer than 11 alcohol manufacturers and wine merchants were awarded her royal warrant

Great article here: http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2006/jul/25/monarchy.features11

By the way, the Gin & Dobonnet used to be known as the Zaza Cocktail in the old days, and it's a good drink. However, sadly, the Dubonnet we get here in the States is made "under licence" in Bardstown, KY by Jim Beam. The good French stuff (which Her Royal Highness would have consumed) is unavailable here in the states. Ditto for her favourite Gordon's Gin, which is a cheap, bottom shelf booze (made 'under licence' again) here in the states.

As a teenager in early 1980's England, I drank Dubonnet and lemonade. Ugh! But it was a lovely ruby colour...

Queen Mum ... 70 units week... :o

The Stevenson Wedding Mug by Cheekytiki, 2006

[ Edited by: 54 house of bamboo 2008-04-02 00:45 ]

On 2008-04-01 21:58, Carmine Verandah wrote:

I can't recall what the tiki drinks books say about Dubonnet -- anyone know?

To my knowledge Dubonnet is more in the realm of "vintage cocktails" than used in tropical cocktails.

I do own a bottle myself. I believe I got it from BevMo.

Here is a recipe I found in the book Vintage Spirits & Forgotten Cocktails:

The Blackthorn Cocktail

2 oz gin
.75 oz Red Dubonnet
.75 oz kirshwasser

stir in a mixing glass with ice, and strain into cocktail glass. Garnish with cocktail cherry and a lemon twist.

The book says reciepes for this drink go back to the 19th centuary

Pages: 1 3 replies