Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

New Tiki Bar in NYC?

Pages: 1 21 replies

Just read this about a new bar that recenly opened in NYC - The Rusty Knot.

I have not been there yet, so I am afraid to officially call it a "tiki bar", but it seems to have the right ingredients:

http://www.urbandaddy.com/nyc/1153/New_York_The_Rusty_Knot_Nightlife_NYC/

Things are really getting better in NYC - first Elettaria with its Mai Tais, Navy Grogs and Zombies and now this place!? Holy crap.

Call to arms NY/NJ ohana?

Not everything journalists call a Tiki bar is. Playing "Where's the Tiki?" in that photo I came up empty. They mention a bamboo-paneled bar, and rum drinks, but with no Tiki in it, it's not a Tiki Bar. It might be a cool nautical bar, of course, and if it has good Navy Grogs, great, no reason not to frequent it.

R

Joe,

Maybe we should give them a tiki or two?

Looks like a rumpus room to me.

D

Hmmm. It does look cool but I certainly have my reservations. A "detail-rich, high-pedigree Manhattan cocktail spot colliding with a kitsched-out cruiseliner and an old-school tiki room". Right off the bat, it sounds like yet another place for the clueless 20-somethings of today's unfortunate state of New York City nightlife to drink their trust funds and feel like they're actually slumming it in Sin City. "Back in my day" we weren't attracted to such stylized 'high pedigree cocktail' places for a small variety of reasons. One of those being we had no money for $12 cocktails. The second was anything remotely representing anything material was flat-out rejected and never thought or spoken of again except in parody. I'll admit it (again)....I'm bitter. But hey, all we needed a was a dark hole in the wall with a decent jukebox and a grody yet bearable aroma, seperated from all of the New York Magazine and Time Out club reviewers.

With all that griping said, I'll give this place a go anyway. If they do in fact make a good drink, I'll eat this post.

When I hear this announcement: "Trader Vic's is returning to New York City" then I'll be really excited. Until then I'm watching the battlefield for invaders.

Aloha! :drink:

[ Edited by: donhonyc 2008-04-02 21:18 ]

I've been following the media coverage(and there certainly has been a lot on it given the pedigree), and although I do want to try it out, I want to wait for the hype to die down. There's a few points that make me wary about this place. During their friends and family soft opening, a lot of celebs showed up, which usually puts it on my list of places never to go; I heard tiki drinks are served in plastic tiki tumblers(!?!); the description of it being a "high-end dive bar"(?!?).

I do like Spotted Pig for the food, and they have Milk and Honey alums, which means they will probably have decent food and drink when it's not swamped with frat boys and star struck people. I'll give it a try.

Awesome ceiling!!

T

Please for the love of 'tiki' no pictures of white ceilings... you know Mr. B. has a weak heart !!!!!

BK

I second the rumpus room thought!

G

On 2008-04-02 21:15, donhonyc wrote:
When I hear this announcement: "Trader Vic's is returning to New York City" then I'll be really excited.

I'm not so sure I'd get too excited over that even. Have you not read the reviews of the most recent Vic's U.S. openings (Vegas and Destin)? If this is what they've redefined themselves as, it's really not much to get excited about, I'm afraid. Maybe Chicago will be a pleasant surprise.

I think paranoid hit it on the head... celbs = bad in my book - so for now lets let them have fun and when the hype dies down we'll have to check it out! They definitely have the right mix of people in the know as far as owners that can say to their "friends" come to my NEW tiki bar - and the friends will come. If the drinks are no good we'll trash the place!

S

What's Otto's, chopped liver?
I'd kill to have a place like that around here.
Also, I've never been to Waikiki Wally's, but I might have to check it out next time I'm up there.

On 2008-04-04 07:28, skeeter wrote:

Hell no - nobody said anything bad about Otto's - we all love Otto's. Its just great to have more places to go, and especially some with food.

Also, Wakiki Wally's is now Wally's Pacific Catch or something like that. I wouldn't have high expectations when you order a tiki drink there from the too-hip bartender that will roll their eyes at you for ordering a drink with more than 2 ingredients. That is, if they can hear you over the cranked-up techno music.

S

On 2008-04-04 08:59, leisure master wrote:

On 2008-04-04 07:28, skeeter wrote:

Hell no - nobody said anything bad about Otto's - we all love Otto's. Its just great to have more places to go, and especially some with food.

Also, Wakiki Wally's is now Wally's Pacific Catch or something like that. I wouldn't have high expectations when you order a tiki drink there from the too-hip bartender that will roll their eyes at you for ordering a drink with more than 2 ingredients. That is, if they can hear you over the cranked-up techno music.

I just hadn't heard Otto's mentioned in this thread. Guess I'm just jealous cause we have practically nothing here in DC anymore, there was some talk of Trader Vic's coming back here, but from what I've heard, that's nothing to get excited about either.
That's a shame about Wally's too, but I may give it a shot anyway...

T

Tobey Maloney is involved in opening this place, and he is a Milk and Honey alumnus who is responsible for opening The Violet Hour here in Chicago, the best cocktail bar between San Francisco and New York.

He actually told me about this new place in NYC, but swore me to secrecy (until now!).

I can't vouch for the tikiness or the trendiness, because I haven't been there, but if Tobey is involved, the drinks WILL be excellent.

MH

my girlfriend gave this a thumbs up. they serve in approved containers (All kinds of non-tiki people drinking in tiki mugs in a basement like place with an aquarium and vinyl-covered furniture. nice!) Apparently they make real mai tais, not polynesian restaurant ones that are pink.

elatarria? is that the real thing? when i see zombie written, i think of the Bum's hard work, cinnamon syrup, and 1930s. is that what this is?

Mr. Ho

MH

velvet falernum and absinte in a zombie?!

http://www.elettarianyc.com/Cocktails.htm

G

On 2008-07-21 11:30, Mr. Ho wrote:
elatarria? is that the real thing?

Only visited once, but several drinks later, I can tell you that yes, it's the real thing. They're not 100% true to the original recipes, but the drinkmasters there are quite competent. The Zombie and Navy Grog were very good, but my personal fav was the Jane Russell.

Yeah, I visited several times as well. The Mai Tai and Grog are excellent, as well as the Opaka Raka, which has Donn's [sic] Mix #2, which I wonder if that is a grapefruit cinnamon syrup.

If at the bar, introduce yourself to Lynnette, Brian and/or Lydia. They are exceptionally talented, and if asked, will pull some fabulous rums (and drinks) for you. Try them on classics and punches. Be sure to order some food as you'll want to stay - my amex speaks for me here...

On 2008-07-21 11:32, Mr. Ho wrote:
velvet falernum and absinte in a zombie?!

http://www.elettarianyc.com/Cocktails.htm

Not exactly sure what the beef is here...the recipe per the Bum calls for falernum and 6 drops of Pernod - the Velvet Falernum is MUCH closer to home made than Fees or the equivalent, and 6 drops of absinte is pretty damn close to 6 drops of Pernod.

This Zombie really compares very well with ones I have made at home following the Bum's recipe in Sippin' Safari to the letter.

Also, big second on bartenders Lynnette, Brian and Lydia. They sure can mix.

been there a few times - I'll have to start ordering off the menu... that said Joe (LM) your Zombies are WAY better than elitteria's (i can never spell it) hands down! - and I should know.

Anyway see you guys soon I hope!

PS new blue stickers in for Baribault Creationz!

"we've got to keep meeting like this"

Pages: 1 21 replies