Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Marketplace

eBay: That famous Tiki Moai Mosaic up for auction

Pages: 1 21 replies

T

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=300213354186&ssPageName=STRK:MESE:IT&ih=020

I've enjoyed this great art piece for years now, but have put it up for sale to help pay for the Trader Vic's tiki I bought at the warehouse sale. Hope it goes to an appreciative home :)

It only looks like half of the piece, what a drag! That $ is a little hefty too!

I have seen alot of vintage tiki in my day, But I have yet to see the
complete both sides in person- ever.Looks great in the book.What company
made these back in the day ? This would be expensive to reproduce with
quality in (USA).

Does that mean I get twice as much for mine ? :D

On 2008-04-04 00:30, 1961surf wrote:
What company made these back in the day ?

I still haven't figured that out. But I found a different mosaic with a Venice motif that must have been by the same company at my FAVORITE hobby store, KIT KRAFT on Ventura Blvd in the valley:

It is coated with resin. I asked the owner, and he didn't know anything about it, because his dad, the original owner, made it. It is hanging high up there, and I didn't have the nerve to ask him to take it down to check the back. Mine has no I.D. whatsoever on it.

Art is very subjective.The worth is based on what the market
will bare, and what someones willing to pay at that paticular
moment.The market is a little soft right now with some vintage Tiki.
I would be stoked to see a complete tiki mosiac, better yet -
own one!!
peace out
Trader Bill

I was, am in the market for a tiki mosaic I did look into some contemporary artists for a commission but again, too hefty a price in this market place right now. Maybe I will fall into something, somewhere or, find a kit & "Do it myself" like i did when I was 8 :D

I think it's worth every dollar if you consider the time involved in creating it. It's also a classic. It will only go up in value imo.
Hope you sell it Mike.

T

Mike,

First bid is mine, hope this goes the distance. Good luck everyone, this is a classic piece of tiki art!

PTD

bigbadtikidaddy-
This looks like a differnrt overall picture then the mosiac easter island scene.
This look like gravel art and not mosiac.Correct me if I am wrong.

Interesting.... This seems to be a gravel art version of the classic mosaic. The design is slightly different. Who knew this thing even existed????

ch

M

Very interesting.

Yes, it' a gravel (glass bead) version as opposed to the traditional mosaic. The design is just a little bit different, isn't it? The general consensus for the piece has always been "hobbyist project", but at no time that I can recall was a gravel version discussed or even mentioned. Another bit of mystery I suppose. As a side note, that looks like a lot of work...upon further consideration: definitely, too much.

Talk about mystery: bigbadtikidaddy!?? BBTD posts? What the ... there's a blast from TC days gone by. Long time no see, oh large one. What's next, a visit from the Ghost of Bong (RIP) Past?

Alas,
midnite

How great! Did that company do the mosaic, too, though...hmmm. Likely, I guess. I want this box for Tiki history.

That's pretty exciting! I've been saving various pictures of the mosaic version and did a full scale enlargement and line drawing. It's neat to see many of the exact elements rearranged here in the original line drawing shown in the box.

First, archaeologists discover what they believe is the altar of the ark of the covenant--now this! What's next?

Well, I see the gravel art version ended up going for $203.50!

I think that's a great deal for someone considering its relative uniqueness and what the (larger) mosaic version has been going for.

Wonder if someone here won it?

Hey Guys I am from Australia and have been making some TIKI, Easter Island Sculptures for local mates for quite some
time my sculptures range from 1ft to 8ft. They are from a special foam mould and coated with flexible concrete
then a rock hard finish. This one (easter Island) is 5ft and painted in a hammer dark silver. It picks up the light quite
well I am getting a lot of interest for overseas markets. I'd love some expert TIKI feedback and I will post some of my more
extreme projects that I have. Like a 21ft evil Tiki all flamed up and pinstriped for a local tiki bar.
Cheers

V

I should have bidded, that's not so expensive for this great mosaic...

I DID! But a little out of my price range (a LOT if I was honest with myself!!). I wanted to get it so I could reproduce it on my small patio wall here at Tiki Towers. I was going to scan the original line drawing from the instructions and the colo(u)r version from the box and enlarge them. Still only be another project in the wings and I should be working on POCKETIKI! If anyone can help tho'...

Trader Jim - make mine a Mai-Tai!

H
harro posted on Tue, May 27, 2008 4:36 PM

On 2008-05-27 00:27, TikiGarden wrote:
Like a 21ft evil Tiki all flamed up and pinstriped for a local tiki bar.
Cheers

Tiki garden I'll send you a PM with some advice to start a new thread of your own, because being an Aussie who has carved foam Moai's before, I'd be interested in seeing more of your work.

And I would say that everyone here on TC would be interested in seeing a 21ft flamed tiki :o

PS I love this mosaic as well, just to stay on track here..

B

I was so bummed I didn't win the gravel art piece that I had to console myself by going out and purchasing some things I'd seen on Craigslist. This place had a bunch of already made gravel art pictures but none of them were "Tiki". I really wanted to make that Moai piece too. Harumph!

So no one from the TC family won it? Too bad, but it should not be too hard to trace from the e-bay pics (or the BOT)

Just print them out and have them blown up at a copy place.

Pages: 1 21 replies