Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Aloha Sam's, Enter Kona

Pages: 1 5 replies

S

Aloha Friends,

It's been a long time!

I think John Lennon said it best, "life is what happens when you're making plans."

Anyhoo, my better half and I were at Sam's (Seafood) tonight when the waitress casually informed us that Sam's has recently changed owners and the new establishment will operate under the new name. Kona. And while I don't necesarily have problem with the new name, it certainly marks the end of an era for one of the finest vintage tiki establishments on the left coast. As HB locals and tiki enthusiasts, T and I have frequented Sam's even after the transition from Sam's Seafood for it's tradition and tiki decor. But this time I truly fear that the end is near. A new logo is scheduled to appear in the next couple of weeks, so don't be surprised if you see a new sign that reads Kona. The staff says that it won't change much, but of course they are the young, hottie twenty something waitresses dressed in black (not that there's anything wrong with that!) but maybe that's not necessarily in the spirit of tiki.

So whether it's Sam's, Kona or whatever they call it, enjoy it while it lasts. Next stop, Kona Condos. If we should be so lucky...

P
pablus posted on Sat, Apr 5, 2008 7:34 AM

Glad to read a post by you, brah.
Hope all is well and you're strumming that ukulele.

Only rode by Sam's once and it was closed during the day. Never got to see it at all except from the outside. Bummer.
Hottie 20 something waitresses are indeed tiki - but they must be clad in sarongs.
Or a grass skirt.
Or just a tan.

T

Oh, man, what is happening with the swordfish SAMS sign ?

Well....KONA is at least a tiki name. Hopefully they will do the place right, because, in mine and alot of people's opinion, the last owners did it wrong.

Hope, at this point is all we got, and as someone else once said, every exit is an entrance to somewhere else.

Hopefully it's not Kona Grill...

Hey Arty, good to hear from you again!
Yeah, what's gonna happen to that neon sign?? That and the watertower home are the main icons of Sunset Beach. Hmmmm.... I guess we'll just wait and see qhat happens.

S

Hey Spike,

The waitress said something about changing the neon sign but I don't remember the details. The new front logo changes for sure and I think the sword fish is going. I agree, the old neon sign and the water tower are the local icons that have marked Sunset and Surfside forever.

Pablus, still strummin' but it's tough to find the time these days. I've been travelin' to Tampa quite a bit these days. Is that anywhere near you?

Pages: 1 5 replies