Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Hyatt Regency Waikiki item info

Pages: 1 4 replies

UJ

I picked this up for 99 cents and I was wondering if it was a drink mug or a souvenir vase. You might be able to see that the lip is not perfectly level, the left side is up further to get it an abstract look (?). They appear to be pretty recent (using the current Hyatt logo), and there is no maker's mark on the bottom.

Any info would be appreciated... what it is, if a drink was served in it, or even if it's still used.

Texas Tikiphiles Unite!

[ Edited by: Unkle John 2008-04-05 14:45 ]

K
Koolau posted on Sat, Apr 5, 2008 5:09 PM

Those Hyatt Regency mugs are the only bar mugs still commonly found in thrift stores here on Oahu. There are a number of variants with different versions of the Hyatt logo; I'll see if I can find a few, but I'm pretty sure they're packed away. To say they are fragile is an understatement - they crack like eggshells.

Since they're still out there, I have often wondered if they are still in use too. I'll stop by the Hyatt next time I'm in Waikiki and see.

UJ

Thanks a lot Koolau!

yeah I'm really surprised that the mug doesn't have a crack or chip on it. It's very thin feeling.

Yep, mugs. Picked up a couple a few years ago when we had drinks at the hotel. A great evening,the center of the hotel where the lounge is is open to the sky and there was a light rain coming down. The waitress thought it was great that we didn't mind sitting in the rain. Are you kidding me? It's HAWAII!!!
Aloha,
:tiki:

K
Koolau posted on Mon, Apr 7, 2008 1:03 AM

The one on my shelf is the same as you found, Unk - but here's one with a different logo I picked off of eBay:

There's at least one other version, too - I'll keep an eye out for it.

Pages: 1 4 replies