Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

San Diego, Mainlanders 1st aniversary art show and luau april 13th

Pages: 1 20 replies

if you were gonna post this david, then sorry for stealing your thunder

I dont know the other artists, but i know mieko is one of them, and i know ill be there selling paintings and a few carvings

[ Edited by: tikithomas08 2008-04-06 00:29 ]

A

You know, Mainlanders is a funny place. Sometimes it almost seems like they're really not that into selling merchandise at their store. When they had their grand opening, I had a really hard time finding someone who would help me. And when I did, it didn't take long before that person would be distracted and wander off somewhere.

Several times I've gone by on weekdays because it's not far from where I work, and even though it's during times when it's supposed to be open, it's not. And another time we went on a Saturday, and there was a sign in the door that they were at lunch and would be back by 1:30 -- so I waited, but they didn't show up till after 2.

M
mieko posted on Mon, Apr 7, 2008 11:17 AM

That's too bad arriano. I haven't been there myself, but this art show sounds like a lot of fun, and I know I'll be there all day that day, and am pretty sure the other artists will be as well.

B

I am showing there as well. And i also will be there the whole time...altho i am definitely known to get distracted and wander off (LOL!!!)

alohas, tom

A

I still plan to stop by for a bit. I just thought the way Mainlanders operates is funny -- and by that I mean "odd."

MN

On 2008-04-07 10:52, arriano wrote:
You know, Mainlanders is a funny place. Sometimes it almost seems like they're really not that into selling merchandise at their store. When they had their grand opening, I had a really hard time finding someone who would help me. And when I did, it didn't take long before that person would be distracted and wander off somewhere.

Several times I've gone by on weekdays because it's not far from where I work, and even though it's during times when it's supposed to be open, it's not. And another time we went on a Saturday, and there was a sign in the door that they were at lunch and would be back by 1:30 -- so I waited, but they didn't show up till after 2.

They are a wholesaler and internet company. One does not really need a large staff for that. They sell lots more to stores and people around the country than to one person per day walking into the showroom.
I'd imagine that it would actually be a hassle for them when walk-ins are preventing them from getting $1000 orders packed, loaded and shipped out.

finished another painting today for it

M
mieko posted on Sat, Apr 12, 2008 1:47 PM

Got my stuff all setup today - it looks like it's going to be quite a party!

I highly encourage everyone in the neighborhood to swing on by!! Hope to see you there!!

T

Hey everybody! New to this site (just registered moments ago!)...

I'll be showing work at the Mainlanders Anniversary show too... went to set up this morning and met Tikithomas and Mieko... both supernice and both with AWESOME WORK! (I was a little star-struck when I realized I'd seen their work on here already!)

Can't wait to meet the other artists tomorrow... The event should be fun, the location is HUGE! I just goes on and on, one room after another full of cool tiki stuff!

M
mieko posted on Sun, Apr 13, 2008 9:05 AM

Welcome tobunga!
Your stuff is incredible as well!!
Hope to see everyone there!!!

lets see those pics!

M

What a neat event!! Even though it was HOT, and we saw very few TC'ers, it's always fun hanging out with a bunch of fellow artists. :)

Here we all are:

My area:

Tiki Thomas' area:

Thomas' little palm wood guy:

Tobunga aka Eric October's area:

Big Toe's area:

and Chris Conway:

More pictures at: http://picasaweb.google.com/miekos/TropicalTikiSArtShow

B

MAhalos for posting up the shots of the show, Mieko!

I had a great time talking story with the artists AND the fun folks who braved the unseasonable hot gallery (note: must have big fans up there next year!). On the plus side, i was stoked to hang out in an amazing space filled with very cool peeps and art. I enjoyed chatting with Mieko (with her bitchen tiki pendants), Tiki Thomas (and his groovy art and tikis), Chris Conaway (with his rad custom bar ware & bonkers art), and Eric October, my new favorite painter...or is that favorite new painter (with his monster-tiki art)!

Anyway another big Mahalo to Michelle, David and their great staff for throwing a fantastic party. Amazing food, copious and tasty cocktails and everyone who worked there had a great Aloha spirit. I would definitely come back next year.

I think the few TC-er that did come by went away well-fed and happy with their newly acquired treasures.

Alohas, bigToe

i had fun, it was nice hanign out with all you. i may be selling some more tuff at the tiki farm sale

T

I had a blast at the show! I'm so glad I had the opportunity to meet such talented artists! As predicted, I was quite intimidated about talking to Big Toe, but my fears were unfounded... he's awesome! Totally nice!

So I guess as my first tiki art showing, it was kinda trial by fire, what with the temperature creeping up through the day.

I enjoyed the impromptu art session with Mieko carving and Tikitomas and I drawing... what incredible energy and inspiration i got from the whole experience!

And Wow! What praise from Big Toe! Thanks!

Here's some pix I snapped:

I was still too star-struck to ask Big Toe to let me snap a pic of him with his work...

M

Silly tobunga! Here's BigToe so we can complete the set. :)

T

OK, here's all the tiki artists from the show...

or maybe thats artists as tikis...

Haha, that's great!

You should come to the next chop.

hah dude eric thats awesome!

Aloha Gang- Just happened to fall by, when I noticed all this great feedback! I concur- the positive energy generated by the host of capable artists, their shared experiences (c'mon now, where ya gonna find five people all in one room, who are deeply familiar with the infamous "evil medallion tiki" episode from the Brady Bunch?!), and not to mention the diverse and high-calibre art, all made for a memorable experience. I was quite honored to be in the midst of so many talented individuals- despite the heat, I came away from the event truly inspired! Hope to see some of you again, this weekend at Tiki Farm!
Christopher C-

M
mieko posted on Tue, Apr 15, 2008 7:47 PM

OMG Eric! That is soooo incredible!!! I can't believe you not only drew us, but made us into TIKIS!!! WOW! I'm totally blown away! Thank you!!!

On 2008-04-15 13:09, tobunga wrote:
OK, here's all the tiki artists from the show...

or maybe thats artists as tikis...

Pages: 1 20 replies