Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Travel

Time travel to the 50s roadtrip suggestions please

Pages: 1 10 replies

Thanks for critiki suggestion... I'm from norcal and haven't been down for awhile and didn't know Coconut Grove and El Monte stadium are gone... Any 50s hangouts around? Greetings. Thanks for this refreshing oasis of pastime I can stop off at...
I'm taking a much needed trip back in time, preferably the 1950s Mon and Tues... Would welcome any suggestions of still standing places or links I can visit in CA
eg diners, drive ins, buildings, gardens, music venues, etc...
Thanks for the great site... I WILL SEND SOME PICS BACK
WHEN I RETURN...
The Time Traveler

Did you catch this reply to your original post?:

I would start on top at the 210 Freeway at the Rosemead Exit, and go all the way South on Rosemead Blvd past South El Monte down to El Monte/Pico Rivera. You will find:

The Outrigger Apartments. Street number is missing here, look for a nice wide A-frame on the left side of Rosemead Blvd.:
http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=5862&forum=2

Then the Kona Kai Apts, marvel at all the different Tiki posts and its A-frame/waterfall/Island mosaic entrance:
http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=27645&forum=2

Then have lunch at Bahooka (recommended: Ribs and yams):
http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=5021&forum=2

Then check out the big Tiki still outside of the Kahlua Apts:
http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=9874&forum=2
(ooops, all info removed by some nice person who left and took it all with him...BUT you have the Critiki link there to find it)

and then, quite a bit further South, the three apartment buildings Kapu Kai/Samoa/Aloha Arms (now called Paradise Island):
http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=12909&forum=2

And if you REALLY want to top off your expedition, and shop for some classic Tiki, jump East over to Whittier to Oceanic Arts, that will make it all come together for you:
http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=7252&forum=2

K
Koolau posted on Sun, Apr 6, 2008 6:00 PM

Yup - El Monte Legion Stadium (really an auditorium) was torn down in 1974. Too bad, as a lot of pop cultural events took place there.

The Cocoanut Grove building is still standing (I think) along Wilshire Blvd.

Go to Pann's for the ultimate in coffee shop Googie, and Bob's Big Boy in the San Fernando Valley (Burbank?).

Bigbro set you right WRT tiki in the San Gabriel Valley, but if you're roaming around LA, if you have to go to the Tiki Ti bar on Sunset - there you can visually and physically experience Poly Pop Culture. Bring a designated driver.

And go to Disneyland and see the Enchanted Tiki Room.

Good journeying.

Thanks BigBroTiki and Koolau... You're more than kind to take the time to share these gems of tikiness. This should be one great road trip back in time ...
will get back to you with my results and pics...
The Time Traveler

T

I live around the corner from Bob's Big Boy in Burbank. Go on friday nights, cos' the have the car hop....the parking lot gets packed with people with their vintage cars...you'll see some AMAZING cars there. Be sure to order the classic Big Boy Burger.

Definitely a must see for 50's Architecture and pop culture, pretty damn well preserved.

Also, be sure to check out Neutra Lane in Silverlake for some amazing Neutra Homes. You can't really see much of them from the street, but you can get a glimpse.

Might as well eat at Canters in Hollywood, which is open 24-7 and has alot of it's original Googie-ness still intact...and some of the waitresses there are still there from the 50's :P

Much of the great stuff in Hollywood has been decimated, but there are a few things left.

Thanks Tikiyaki
All sounds good... Will definitely hit Bobs Big Boy for a classic burger. I have a Bobs bobble head in back of my 63 Imperial I will not be taking, unfortunately. ...
Later
The Time Traveler

BigBroTiki, Koolau and Tikiyaki and fellow Tiki Travelers—

I'm back from my (Tiki)Time Travel Trip #1 to So Cal...
and, I must say, thanks to you guys it was one HEKUVA experience and if wasn't 1963 again it sure felt like it.

For a short recap now..
I got a late start, out of the Bay Area , around noon Monday , April 7 (my birthday—no big deal), so I didn't reach LA and #210 via #5 until about 7 pm. As GPS's weren't around in 1963-- plus the one I had was useless-- I just went with the good ole map., and besides, my rules didn't allow me for anything out of the time zone...

Vin Scully voice was the first thing I heard as I came into the San Gabriel Valley(?).What a great way to begin my time travel... It's like my radio went right to that station , and Vin Scully three innings got me as far as El Monte. But it was getting dark and I thought I better find a tiki bar and a motel and get an early start on the big El Monte -BigBroTiki segment the next day.

After finally finding Tiki Ti, on Sunset CLOSED , it was nearly 10 and I thought I better find that Tiki Motel. Well, all the ones I called were non-existent (Maybe I didn't travel far back enough). The only thing close was the SAFARI INN in Burbank. After I finally found the place it was 11 pm and they only had one room left. Even though it had been rehabbed, it was still pretty original, especially the huge the neon sign in front. That alone, made the place good enough for me...

I had to settle for McDonalds for dinner as it was the only thing opened –well, at least the chain had originated in the day, even if this location didn't—and I hadn't eaten all day.

Tuesday April 8 certainly made up for the late start Monday.
It was a packed day, again thanks to you guys...

9am It was like my Time Machine (Honda Odyssey, NOT my 63 Chrysler Imperial, unfortunately) knew exactly where to go...
down the road from the Safari Inn , in Burbank, we came upon
none other than BOB'S BIG BOY, in all its original glory.

Yes, Tikiyaki and Koolau, it was everything you said it would be.. Bob looked very good for whatever age, 60 I guess, having been born in 1949. And his place was very well attended, I’m glad to see, with a lot of his friends, looking about the same age--including myself. The Classic Burger was great, the staff friendly, of course. After spending a good hour there, taking pics and loading up on souvenirs, we (the time machine and I) ran into the old movie studios including Warner Brothers and Walt Disney lots, where the original signs were still present!

Now, off to El Monte area and Rosemead Blvd.. No more Legion Stadium and I didn't find the Outrigger Apts, but I sure found the Kona Kai and Kahlua apartments, both equally exciting in their different tiki-ness, one featuring a waterfall and the other many tiki gods and even a bridge once inside the front door.

All in the same vicinity, perhaps the highlight was Bahooka.
Not only was I blown away by the environment both exterior and interior, but the food was very good and the staff very friendly. 111 fish tanks with varying tropical fish was a sign to behold amidst the darkness of tiki gods and various interesting junque, if you will. As I waited for my meal of, yes, ribs and yams, Tikibro, the owner and waiters regaled me with stories and gave me a tour. The place has been the setting for many movies including a new one coming up with Tom Hanks son...

I finally got out of there around 2 pm and try as I might, I couldn't find Paradise Island apartments. But, I had to get to Oceanic Arts to make my trip complete, per TikiBro.
LA is a big place with adventures around every corner. Part of the adventure is just finding the places. And I did, find Oceanic, but only after taking the wrong Whittier Ave (east LA), about 10 miles west of the correct Whittier location...
I didn't get to meet Bob or Larry but other other workers couldn't have been nicer. What a place... everything BUT a tiki bar... I spent enough money to transform at least one room of my home into Poly Paradise.

Tuesday was a full day, but it was time for the journey to conclude as reality was to set in Wed and I was hoping to get back to the BA before dark (good luck)...
So , after helping close Oceanic Arts at 4 pm. I was back on the rode,... Neutra Lane in Silverlake, Pann's Coffee Shop, along with The enchanted Tiki room at Disneyland, The Purple Orchid and Enchanted Tiki Bar in Anaheim will have to wait for perhaps Time Travel Trip #2, hopefully sooner than later.
Vin and the Dodgers(another loss), again, took me up highway #5 and out of LA but as I said, it was one HEKUVA trip...so much so I will have to make this a regular thing in different parts of the state... Next will be up North, around , where there, hopefully, exists/ed a Tiki Culture...

By the way, besides Vin Scully, my other listening ‘companions’ were Dave Cameron (of LA) and his A Long Time Ago 50-s Scully as well as Kansas’ Retro Cocktail Hour show, both of which I put on
Cassette –no CDs please -- before traveling. It worked well for a perfect Scully-media Scully experience…

It’s Wednesday, now Thursday, actually April 9 . The phones are ringing again and people telling me what to do and where to go, as it were,… The Trip may be over but it’s one that will stay with me, and , hopefully, I can keep some of the feeling as I slog thru the real world, until my next –yes, there will be many more TTTs… My place will be more tiki-fied as a result of the trip, too… which should help keep
the BP down and the enjoyment up.

So, (Tiki) Time Travel Trip #1 is in the books. I really didn’t know what to expect before hand. Some say you can'’ time travel, but I can now say IT IS POSSIBLE – and all the good things that go with it…the beauty of the sights, sounds, taste, etc., and the relaxation hard to imagine in 2008. Even my pet-sitter
felt the vibe staying at my place. Well, she should have been on the trip for REAL relaxation (despite many miles of driving). So, as I try to live life like 1963, there may be no escaping the truth. However , its good to know I can REALLY ESCAPE every now and then to another place and time

So, thanks again, guys. I wanted to get out a thank you right away for making this ultimate Time Travel Trip #1 possible, and when I get a chance I'll upload those pictures, maybe even put together on a website...Stay tuned...
The TimeTraveler

Some say Time Travel is impossible. Let me now say IT IS POSSIBLE –and highly recommended for those
Who seek that different time and place.

Well I am glad that Tiki Central made someone happy. And in turn you must have given the employees at Bahooka and O.A. a good dose of Ohana mana, being so happy to find them! :)

T

Glad you had a blast into the past.

Living less than 1/4 mile from there, it would be very easy for me to take Bob's for granted, I try not to, and appreciate what a great piece of history it is...still pretty much preserved

When I sit in there and eat (especially late at night, it always makes me remember what I left Long Island for....

Good stuff !

New, updated site is up:
http://www.TheTimeTraveler.com
Thanks

Hi Time Traveler,

I loved reading about your trip! We took a very similar one many years ago, with the help of TC, but fly down from Portland. We too had an amazing time. We actually live down here now and I am very excited to learn about the Bob's Big Boy. We will definitely be visiting him soon. If you come back down, please look us up. We just moved and have some exciting tiki things in the works.

Very Best,
Gem

Pages: 1 10 replies