Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Marketplace

eBay: vintage mai kai photos

Pages: 1 11 replies

don't know if anyone else has seen these but there are vintage pics of the mai kai on ebay....they are 8 x 10 copies of the original photos but they look pretty cool cause one shows the mai kai when it was just a skeleton of framing, with a cool billboard next to it announcing it's grand opening....just do an ebay search of mai kai and they will show up....i picked up 2 to frame and hang in my bar....i'd post the link but i gotta run...i'll try to get to it later....

S

Those pictures are from the Mai Kai gift shop. Anyone coming to Hukilau can get them there. I think most of what that seller has is just resold stuff from the Mai Kai gift shop.

[ Edited by: Swanky 2008-04-10 09:22 ]

...and seeing that i won't be at the mai kai anytime soon, it was a good deal....thanks for posting....if anyone wants them, pick em' up at hukilau i guess....i just really like the historical aspect of them...

They are very cool pictures, no matter where you buy them. But my bet is, that eBay seller just bought one and prints copies. I seriously doubt the photo is copyrighted, so there's probably nothing to prevent that from happening.

On 2008-04-10 10:58, GatorRob wrote:
They are very cool pictures, no matter where you buy them. But my bet is, that eBay seller just bought one and prints copies. I seriously doubt the photo is copyrighted, so there's probably nothing to prevent that from happening.

..on the auction they claim that each photo is signed by whoever took the photo....not sure what that means - are the ones at mai kai signed as well?? if they are, then they are probably just scanning them at home and printing them on photo paper....

S

Yes the ones at the Mai Kai are signed, but not by the photographer. I think by Mrs. Thornton. It's hard to read.

Hi Swanky. How much are they at the Mai Kai? Is this guy charging a huge mark-up?

I posted some Dobb's House Luau stuff today.

G

I think they're like 5 or 10 bucks unframed. $30 or 40 framed.

S

Yeah, I am thinking maybe $15-20. The Mai Kai has them in a white frame folder. A heavy white paper thing that you open and the photo in inside in a sort of frame. Reminds me of my old grade school class pictures if you are old enough to recall that sort of frame. I don't think this gal is marking them up too much, if at all. As long as they are nice glossy originals.

I ain't bustin ya chops Tipsy, just breakin it down for everyone. I own one of those pics, but I got mine as a gift from Mireille Thornton.

Now, as for the mugs she is selling... Well, actually she had a couple of vintage rum barrels the other week. The coffee cups are new though and straight from the gift shop. You can contact them via the website info and get one sent to you direct for the same price. The barrels are not for sale as far as I know. Correct me if I'm wrong on that.

G

You can now buy the new rum barrel mugs, the shrunken skull mugs and the Abelam mugs in the gift shop. All are in the $12-15 range I believe. I bought one of each when I was there last month. And they look terrific too. Very well made.

The $30-40 (or whatever it is) for the framed version of that picture that I mentioned is for the pic in an actual bamboo frame with glass. If they don't sell that now, they at least used to.

On 2008-04-11 07:24, Swanky wrote:

I ain't bustin ya chops Tipsy, just breakin it down for everyone. I own one of those pics, but I got mine as a gift from Mireille Thornton.

...you better not be!!....unless of course you don't want me to get you that giant puffer fish lamp at the aku tiki auction!!! it might look better in say, ....my bar!!! LOL

i bought my pics online for $7.50 plus $2.00 shipping.....the quality is okay but not great, since they were scanned, but i wouldn't know for sure unless i saw one side by side with the mai kai version....whoever is selling this probably purchased one of each and is now rippin off the mai kai by hawking them on ebay....at mai kai prices, you know they are not just buying them directly and resellin em'.....so basically what i have are 3rd generation pics, which are fine for hanging in the bar, but now i feel like a shit for helping perpetuate this alleged mai kai scam by not buying directly from the mai kai...

....fuck!!

S

I did the same thing. I bought a picture of the Mai Kai staff 1959. Thought I was getting a deal and then read better after I got it and saw it said it was a copy. Not the glossy original. Oh well. It'll look good in the bar.

Pages: 1 11 replies