Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Marketplace

over $400 for a menu!? Jeeezzzzuzzz....

Pages: 1 23 replies

I was watching this auction and it went like this....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=160227380890

recession my ASS!
:lol:

[ Edited by: Tom Slick 2008-04-11 22:51 ]

proof that ebay is not about buying something.. its the mentality that you are winning something.

people like to win.

Vintage, huh?

I don't know Shag's style to the letter, but if this is vintage, I can see why Disney like Shag's stuff. The two styles mesh nicely.

[ Edited by: Haole'akamai 2008-04-11 23:24 ]

S

Disney collector, meet Tiki collector. Tiki collector, meet Disney collector. We'll start the bidding at $100...

Buy Tiki Daze and this menu is featured on the cover and inside, but with Mookie's sensational reworkings...

Swanky is right-on on this one. The Disney collectors go crazy for the tiki stuff. I was looking at a Tahitian Terrace postcard that went for over $80.

Swanky, I still need to get that calendar. Will order today.

MT

It's hard to make out the prices, since they didn't put a really hi-res photo on the auction, but it looks to me like they might be 1990's prices, not 1960's prices. Hard for me to tell, though. But yeah, it seems like some of the most expensive tiki items out there, especially vintage, are old Disneyland tiki items. Did anyone see how much those Tangaroa Babies went for on ebay that Sven just sold? I'd love to get something like that, just way out of my price range for what it is. Thank goodness for Kevin and Jody's replicas!

Mai Tai -They sold for $358.00 .Kahalacharms won them as usual.
If it rare and pricey he is always on it.Must be nice to have such
deep pockets.Nice menu, but not $415 worth.

S

On 2008-04-15 12:35, 1961surf wrote:
Mai Tai -They sold for $358.00 .Kahalacharms won them as usual.
If it rare and pricey he is always on it.Must be nice to have such
deep pockets.Nice menu, but not $415 worth.

That's actually cheap for the pair.

..sorry...if i was the seller and someone just forked over $415 for a menu i sold i would feel like a real piece of shit to charge them for shipping on top of it.....c'mon...they just made a ton of money off something they probably bought for under $10....it just seems like a final slap in the face to say "hey, now cough up $15 for shipping, you schmuck!"....

as a seller on ebay, myself, i will often eat the shipping if the price of an item goes above and beyond my expectations or if someone is a frequent buyer from me, i'll cut them a break once in awhile.....

but that's just me.....probably why i don't have much money!! LOL

R

On 2008-04-11 23:23, Haole'akamai wrote:
Vintage, huh?

I don't know Shag's style to the letter, but if this is vintage, I can see why Disney like Shag's stuff. The two styles mesh nicely.

With a dinner speciality priced at $3.25 I'm sure it is a vintage menu, probably late 60's.

Boy, Dave, what's your beef with the world, to use such terminology and judge people like that!? That auction started at $ 9.99, and the fact that it reached that price had no bearing on the shipping. And a rare, vintage piece of paper ephemera like that should better be packed well (i.e. in sealed plastic, in cardboard, and in bubble wrap). I am not happy that shipping a Witco painting cross country costs about 80.-/90.- bucks nowadays, but I sure as shit don't feel like a piece of shit charging that, especially when the buyer knows all along what he's getting into.

R

Well having bought piles and piles of ephemera and 8x10 classic movie star photos I'd say his S&H is a bit high (the seller probably had NO idea it would go for that price). To ship it Priority USPS including a ridged plastic display sleave would cost

On 2008-04-17 17:48, Rattiki wrote:

On 2008-04-11 23:23, Haole'akamai wrote:
Vintage, huh?

With a dinner specialty priced at $3.25 I'm sure it is a vintage menu, probably late 60's.

yep, just noticed that. Vintage, for sure, thus I stand by my "why Disney likes Shag" comment.

About charging for shipping on ebay: just because it's that amount in the auction doesn't necessarily mean that the seller will charge it. He can send an invoice with a discount rate real easy, and it'll never show up on the auction page.

S

A) Noone knows what an auction will end at when they set the shipping, and after the first bid, it can't be changed.

B) $15 is crazy. That menu is not particularly big like say, the Kahiki menus. No excuse, but, when you are ready to pay $400 for a menu, the $15 isn't a worry. You're glad to have it at any shipping amount, if it comes to you in good condition. Maybe they shipped it with a piece of plywood so it won't bend!

T

If you thought the price of the menu was steep, check out what these people want just for the "Guest check"! http://cgi.ebay.com/DLR-Disney-Rare-Tahitian-Terrace-Guest-Check_W0QQitemZ290217322376QQihZ019QQcategoryZ16071QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1638Q2em118Q2el1247

$100! for a receipt! come on!

[ Edited by: thefuzz 2008-04-18 13:03 ]

T

If you look at the bids on that menu you'll see that it was a bidding war between two people. It may not be what most people (myself included) would pay for this menu, but it's what THOSE TWO people would pay. Bidding wars do not set a real market value. This menu usually goes for much less.

TS

I gotta agree with monkeyman..."proof that ebay is not about buying something.. its the mentality that you are winning something."

People get sucked into it. Then some "winners" are wondering how they are going to pay the rent next month! I know....I have friends that have often put themselves out there like that....But I gotta say that I would NEVER pay over $100 for an obsolete menu made of paper. If I find a Tahitian Terrace menu in the wild, I'm off to the print shop! :lol:

I think I paid about $40-$50 for my Tahitian Terrace menu on eBay in 2003. Back then it seemed like a lot to spend, but now it seems like a decent return-on-investment. I'm not tempted to sell, though, because it's one of my favorite menus. That design seems to have helped inspire so many modern artists. It is really a small menu though. The pics don't show that.

Here's hoping I find another one in the wild.

[ Edited by: Sabu The Coconut Boy 2008-04-23 14:22 ]

I don't get all the whining over someone dropping some coin on something they really want. A piece of paper recently sold for $80,500.00! (Original 1930s movie poster for "The Invisible Man"). All this complaining just keeps collectors that do spend more than what most people may think is reasonable from not posting as has happened with Kohalacharms and others. My first Ebay purchase was an expensive lesson. I was going away and put what I thought was a high bid of $50.00 (it was at $33.00 when I left) for a menu. When I got back I found that I won the menu for several hundred dollars. When I looked at my bid, I had put a comma instead of a period after the 50.....so I think my top bid would have been for $50,000....I was just happy it did not go any higher than it did. I would love to have that Tahitian Terrace menu as I went there many times as a child, but I will spend that money on something else. Now let's get back to the Aloha spirit. As we put on our Aloha shirts and dresses to head out to Hukilau or Oasis, we are just like Trekkies heading to a convention.......where they spent 7.2 millin dollars in 2006.

Damn, that's hilarious bongofury. What menu was it?

Jeff

T

Denny's :P

Bongofury,

I gotta know, what was that menu?

3388 posted on Sun, Apr 27, 2008 9:10 PM

just come to have a look

This Tahitian Terrace luncheon menu just sold on ebay.

Winning bid: US $609.00

Bidding looked like it was a three-way slug fest with nobody wanting to lose. Off to the wild for one of these babys.

Pages: 1 23 replies