Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

International Flight Lounge at Forbidden Island - every last Thursday!

Pages: 1 2 61 replies

T

The Jab proudly presents International Flight Lounge at Forbidden Island, a hi-flying mix of the best uptempo 60s French pop, Euro library & film soundtracks, international 60s garage and beat, and much more!

We're back to the last Thursday of each month starting in February 2009

Takeoff at 8:00

Layover drink special - come dressed as a vintage-era stewardess or pilot and get a discount!

[ Edited by: thejab 2009-03-02 14:32 ]

[ Edited by: thejab 2009-11-17 15:42 ]

[ Edited by: THEJAB 2009-12-15 18:17 ]

[ Edited by: THEJAB 2010-01-28 17:13 ]

M

This is going to be so sweet, people! Don't miss it!

Killer tunes, a space-age new drink special, and Steph in go-go boots! And yes, peanuts!

We're really excited about this night, so head on over!

T

Tomorrow night!

On 2008-04-14 14:23, thejab wrote:

Layover drink special - come dressed as a vintage-era stewardess or pilot and get half-off!

Hmmm.... I dunno if I have anything...

J

On 2008-04-23 13:08, Haole'akamai wrote:

On 2008-04-14 14:23, thejab wrote:

Layover drink special - come dressed as a vintage-era stewardess or pilot and get half-off!

Hmmm.... I dunno if I have anything...

I think half your wardrobe would qualify as vintage Aloha Air wear. :wink:

Every Thursday is Classic Cocktail night at FI, in which we showcase a drink - one night only - from the annals of Tiki history. So in addition to the Layover, we are pouring the Lani Honi, from the Matson Line SS Mariposa (1962 menu).
A delicious blend of Benedictine, Lemon Juice and light Rum.

In the words of the King himself,
"We're flying, coming your way
Aloha, Hawaii, USA"

See ya tomorrow at Jab's Flight Lounge!

T

The Forbidden Island web site says it like this (bold added by me):

Featuring our “Layover” drink special- come dressed as a vintage stewardess or pilot and take half off!

We may have a lot of half-naked people, so don't miss this! :wink:

That'll be interesting...

MT

Depends on the people. And dangit, it looks like I don't have any offical pilot's type crew uniform. Does a suit with a cheap ass Disneyland skipper's hat, and a wings pin on the lapel count?

Oh hey, isn't tonight Forbidden Island's 2nd anniversary? This sounds like a great way to kick off another year!

K

International Flight Lounge last night was pretty good, but I didn't care much for the Layover (what the hell was in that thing?!?).

I wrote up a review with some pictures.

Keep up the good work!

Cocktailia - Classic cocktails and bar reviews

[ Edited by: kwilson 2008-04-25 13:12 ]

On 2008-04-24 20:29, Mai Tai wrote:
Depends on the people. And dangit, it looks like I don't have any offical pilot's type crew uniform. Does a suit with a cheap ass Disneyland skipper's hat, and a wings pin on the lapel count?

Oh hey, isn't tonight Forbidden Island's 2nd anniversary? This sounds like a great way to kick off another year!

Yes , it was their 2nd anniversary.. Last night was fun.. I had one to many drink specials

I hate when that happens.

Everybody who dressed up looked great !!

On 2008-04-24 20:29, Mai Tai wrote:

Technically, our anniversary date was the 22nd (Tuesday). I can't believe it's been two years already!!
We'll be marking the occasion on Sunday with the Mug release, but the real celebration will be at the Luau on May 18th.
(
Now onto Flight Lounge. Wow!! What a great time!! With "Airport" playing on the bar TV, Jab's international DJ mix and the terrific flight uniforms, FI was indeed transported to the Golden Age of travel.
Thanks to all who were there and especially those who made the effort to dress the part. I'm already looking forward to the next one (May 29th)

Here's some pics:

"There's no better way to fly"
Captain Mike and Stewardess Stephanie welcome all aboard Flight FI

"Don't call me slurrey!"
Pilot CP prepares for take-off

"We'll take more care of you"
Our gorgeous Stewardess does her rounds

"Fly the friendly skies"
Captain Mike shares a moment with
Stewardess Humuhumu and Fighter-Pilot friend

"We love to fly"
(Sleazy) Pilot DJ Jab steals a moment from the cockpit to hit on Stewardess Carrie

"Life is a journey, Travel it well"

[ Edited by: Conga Mike 2008-04-25 15:57 ]

T

Thanks to everyone who came out and to those who got dressed up! Let's do it again next month. Hopefully we'll see more girls wearing costumes. I think there were more pilots last night than stewardesses.

The Lani Honi was delicious!

T

Oh yeah, happy anniversary to my home away from home! I was looking forward to celebrating it but spaced on it on Tuesday. On Wednesday I went in expecting a whole bunch of TC Ohana celebrating but there were just a handful of us. I guess I showed up too late - at around 10:30. Can't wait for the luau so we can really celebrate.

T

Here are Carrie's pics.

Carrie and pilot Jab:

L to R: Carrie, me, Stephanie, Stormy, who wore his grandfather's original WWII bomber jacket and hat and would have won the best outfit prize (if there were such a contest), and Misty:

with stewardesses Stephanie and Carrie:

Wow, looks like a really fun night! Wish I could have been there. Also, just a note to let everyone know that Stewardess Stepanie's duds (dress and hat) were created by our very own Atomic Cocktail!

M

Oops! I forgot to mention that- thanks for reminding me, VG!

Coming up again on the 29th! Bigger and more powerful! Like a 747!

T

Great job Atomic Cocktail!

New flyer for this month, and I have a new stylus on my turntable too!

[ Edited by: thejab 2008-05-19 15:31 ]

C
CP posted on Wed, May 28, 2008 10:19 AM

I am cleared to take off.

M

At this time, Forbidden Airlines would like to begin pre-boarding and welcome our First Class passengers, Kill-Devil Club Members, Cocktail Lovers, Stewardesses, Pilots, Tiki Freaks, Mug Weirdos, Rummies, Neighbors, Friends, Enemies, Locals, Strangers, and passengers with special needs ("Drunks") to:

INTERNATIONAL FLIGHT LOUNGE #2!!
Thursday, May 29th starting at 8:00PM

Your pilot DJ Jab is back with another specially selected set of sonic seduction that will get yer butt shaking to the best of 60s Lounge, ye-ye, French Pop, Euro Beat, Exotica, British Invasion, Italian Soundtracks, Latin American Garage, and more hi-flying tunes from around the world.

Featuring our famous Layover drink special!

Come dressed as a vintage pilot or stewardess and take half off your first Layover!

Plus peanuts!

See you tomorrow!

M

Final boarding call!

T

Thanks for flying with us last night! Special thanks to Melanie and Elisa for dressing up!

Melanie gets her wings

Captain Jab and stewardess Jenna

M

On behalf of your Alameda-based cabin crew, we'd like to thank you for flying Forbidden Air.

Ground & Cabin Crew

Dude, check out the tracers! Whoa...

Elisa's killer BOAC bag & our Thursday drink special!

There was some amusement about the name brand of my ear protection.

But not as much amusement as there was about our film of choice: 1974's "seminal" epic "The Naughty Stewardesses".

T

Your pilot is making some last minute checks so that we'll be all set for takeoff this Thursday. We'll be showing another Airport movie (1977?, 1979?), and "Blazing Stewardesses"! Yeehaw! Blazing Saddles with stewardesses! And music that will get you dancing in the aisles!

[ Edited by: thejab 2008-09-23 17:01 ]

M

hubba hubba!

Have a "Mile High" night tonite, kids!!!

J

Okay, so these are two weeks late, but here are my pics from the most recent International Flight Lounge:

While our ground crew was busy getting their groove on ...

we drank Layovers ...

yes, they really are THAT green!

As we boarded our flight, we were greeted by Stephanie, our lovely space waitress ... er ... stewardess ... or flight attendant ... hell, whatever the politically correct term is these days :roll:

Finally, as we approached 8:00pm, our pilot informed us that we were clear for take-off. Seems he was already high as a kite!

T

I just feel high playing records for you lot! I never drink and fly. :wink:

C
CP posted on Tue, Jul 29, 2008 7:40 AM

I'm ready to fly!

T

Start packing, because International Flight Lounge is back this Thursday night at 8:00!

Last month we had a bunch of actual pilots and stewardesses show up. Here's a picture of a few of them:

T

International Flight Lounge takes off again on October 30th!

Then we are switching to second Thursdays for Nov, Dec, and Jan because of the holidays.

C
CP posted on Tue, Oct 21, 2008 9:07 PM

roger that

T

It's a wrap! I just finished a slide show of vintage stewardess images that will be shown tomorrow night. We will also be showing some vintage TV ads from Braniff Airlines, the famous airline campaign that in the 60s announced "The End of the Plain Plane". They had Emilio Pucci design new flight attendant and pilot uniforms, Alexander Girard design the plane interiors, terminal lounges, and ticket counters, and in the 70s even had Alexander Calder decorate the outside of some of their planes.

T

Come fly with us this Thursday, November 13th! Your flight has been rescheduled to second Thursdays for November, December, and January due to the holidays (and my vacation in January).

Everything else is unchanged: high-flying tunes from around the world, the Layover drink special, yours truly in handsome pilot uniform, your hostess in sexy vintage stewardess outfit, groovy visuals on the TV, and peanuts!

T

I've been buying records like crazy lately. I have some great 60s groovy Italian buttshakers and lots of swinging 60s and 70s "sound library" music from France and the UK to accompany our flight to remote lands.

And Lee will be making her debut as our stewardess in a vintage-era United Airlines dress, as seen in the ad below!

We take off tomorrow at 8:00. This is gonna be a great one - don't miss it!

T
thejab posted on Tue, Jan 6, 2009 1:06 PM

The runways are clear for International Flight Lounge flight no. 10 this Thursday, January 8th!

[ Edited by: thejab 2009-01-06 13:06 ]

T

It's been a long seven week wait, but we take off again tomorrow night!

Dress up or come as you are, and have a great flight!

T

I'm seeking a couple of sexploitation films on VHS or DVD:

Fly Me, 1973
Swedish Fly Girls, 1971 (aka Christa)

It would be nice if they were in english but it's not neccessary because I want to screen them at International Flight Lounge with the sound off.

Please respond here or send me a PM.

International Flight Lounge returns in one week!

A special treat for all flight lounge attendees this Thursday - FREE FOOD!! That's right folks, something that not even the airlines are honoring these days. We're in the process of revamping our food menu and have a bunch of samples to go through. So come enjoy the musical pop stylings of Dj The Jab. Food service begins at 9pm. Come hungry!!

T

This Thursday!

April 30th at 8:00pm sharp

You're invited to the

International Flight Lounge One Year Anniversary Party

Your pilot The Jab takes you on a hip shakin' musical journey
to the glory days of jet travel - the 60s and 70s!

French Pop
Now Sound
Bossa Nova
Soundtracks
Funky Library Grooves
International 60s Garage and Beat

Very special guest
Ms. JOELYN CURTIS
Former Eastern airlines stewardess, and The Jab's mom!

Still available: International Flight Lounge mix CDs for sale,
featuring 30 amazing songs from around the world,
guaranteed to get your butt shakin' for only $5!

Come as a vintage era stewardess or pilot and get a discount off the Layover drink special!

Classic airline movies and slideshow!

Free peanuts too!

Plus, see bartender extraordinaire Lara try to tend bar in a 60s stewardess uniform!

T

We'll give you a lift again this Thursday, May 28th (tomorrow)!

T

International Flight Lounge takes off again this Thursday, June 25th!

I'll be showing the movie "Christa" aka Swedish Fly Girls from 1971. It was actually filmed in Copenhagen, Denmark, and is filled with beautiful images of that city and some amazing mod interiors. It comes with subtitles in Norwegian, so if you can read Norwegian...

Check out the trailer here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zFlAoYqlpGE

LMAO! The ground crew pic is classic!

T

My how time flies! (pun intended)

INTERNATIONAL FLIGHT LOUNGE takes off again tomorrow, August 27th!

Come in vintage stewardess or pilot attire, or come as a tourist in aloha wear!

T

International Flight Lounge returns this Thursday, featuring a new in-flight drink special: The Jet Pilot! One of my favorite drinks. I hope your pilot doesn't get too inebriated to fly the plane!

Upcoming schedule:
Last Thursday in October (the 29th), then third Wednesdays in November (the 18th) and December (the 16th).
(because of the holidays which fall on the usual last Thursday).

T

Come fly with us and try the new Fall drink specials tonight!

T

Celebrate Halloween early this Thursday by coming as an airline stewardess or Pilot!

T

Do not attempt to adjust your set!

Because Thanksgiving falls on the last Thursday this month, we take off on WEDNESDAY, NOVEMBER 18th. That's tomorrow!

Come fly with Forbidden Airlines!

Pages: 1 2 61 replies