Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

Lamp Day 2008 - may 24th - Thank You

Pages: 1 45 replies

Aloha Tiki Craftfolk...

I will be hosting Lamp Day 2008 on Saturday May 24th from 10am till whenever we finish.

There is only room for 8 participants and the class cost is $140 per lamp/person. Includes lunch and beverages.

It will be in my garage just like last year.
Vista, CA (North San Diego County)

Just as with last year, I will do enough prep in advance so that you WILL go home with a completed lamp and there wont be any dangerous power tools in use..

I am still waiting for parts to arrive so that I can make a prototype for posting. It will be a layered shell lamp with an Asian styled hat on top. This lamp will feature Pink/Purple Moon Shells (very flat) and a custom Resin Base that I will make for you in advance. The resin base will have a cylinder opening in it and I will put seastars and abalone peices in the resin for you.

Sorry but there arent any holding spots in line. You are registered when you are paid.

Payment can be made using paypal. Or by Check if I see you before the event.

I plan on posting a prototype pic in the next couple weeks.

Participants will be drilling 80+ shells for this class

You should BRING the following tools of your own

• A Dremel Tool (they can be had for as low as $30)

• A fine diamond tipped bit (no drill bits)
    Here is a sample.. model # 7134 or 7144 from your local Lowes will work
    Diamond Bit

• Glue gun (I am providing the 1/2" thick glue sticks)

• Needlenose pliers

• protective goggles or clear sunglasses (for drilling out the shells)

• work gloves(like gardening gloves or the like)

• a Pair of Tin Snips (if you have them... if not its ok if only half of you have them)

Carpool if you can... gas prices suck...

[ Edited by: monkeyman 2008-05-16 19:46 ]

[ Edited by: Monkeyman 2008-05-25 09:37 ]

LT

Cool! Couple of questions:

1. How does one pay and
  2. If I don't own a Dremel, do I need to buy one?
TD

WooHoo!

I'm definitely going again this year, last year was a blast!
Can't wait to see what Monkeyman comes up with this year!

-Tiki D

D

M Man sent you a PM. I missed this last year. What a cool class to offer. Paula and I were just talking about this and would love to attend. .

The supplies for lamp day are starting pile up...

I've got the electrical parts... some of the interior structure and the hats for the top.. the shells are on the way and THEN I can build the prototype for all to see.

I know that some of you will want to work on your lamp as a team.... Unfortunately I dont have much space for us to work in.. and if every lamp had two people on it.. then we would have over twenty people trying to fit in my garage... needing a seat... needing workspace... etc.. Im sorry but I just don't have the space.

If we do not fill all ten spots with individual lamp builders THEN I can allow others to bring a partner but I would really like to keep it to one person per lamp. For those of you wrestling with the price of lamp day.. keep in mind that if you do it right.. you are building a $300 lamp for less than half that price..and Its fun.

[ Edited by: Monkeyman 2008-04-22 22:39 ]

some more supplies arrived today via ups...

1,000 Purple Moon Shells

Miniature Sea Stars

and stop at Lowes to get Antique Swag Chain and resin.

The little jars are transparent resin pigment to give the base a nice rich color...

prototype is on the way

OMG this looks so fun I wish I could be tere to participate in the crafting fun! I already have all of the right tools. will someone be taking pictures?

all 10 lamp day participants will receive their very own Lamp Day 2008 crafters apron...

custom made just for the class.

Monkeyman, wish I could attend to glean just a bit from your amazing & creative talents. Great opportunities like this always make me miss the Hoity Toity life in SoCal. Looking forward to seeing photos of the class in action and some of the final products.

-Weird Unc

For those of you wrestling with the cost of tools ON TOP of the cost of the lamp...

I was at my local Lowe's yesterday and saw these on sale for ONLY $9.99 !!!

Golf Club Cleaner

its a stripped down version of a corded dremel but it spins fast enough and is battery powered.. just bring extra batteries..

Hopefully the tools you purchase (or hopefully already own) will be something you can use to make your own crafts at home...

[ Edited by: Monkeyman 2008-04-24 10:30 ]

K
Kahu posted on Thu, Apr 24, 2008 12:50 PM

WOW looking at the supplies, that aims to be one cool lamp! Any chance you travel to do a class? LOL Hope everyone has a blast!

Monkeyman,

Sent you a PM. Looks like this will be a lot of fun!

KahunaKev

R

MM-
Any updates on photos of the prototype?

Sent you a PM.

Sorry for the prototype delay

I am finishing 3 large format custom frames for the Tiki Caliente Event and the next item is to complete the prototype.

I completely understand everyones reluctance to commit prior to the availability of lamp photos.

If you pay for the class and THEN see the lamp and decide its somethign you would rather not build.. I WILL promptly refund any funds you have sent me.

Im pretty confident you will not be dissappointed.

S

I used to work in a tool store and I do not recommend the battery powered Dremel. The charge on one of those would not get you through a dozen shells. I had to use one for a pumpkin carving demo and it was ridiculous. Might be better with some top notch rechargable batteries, but I would just pass on it.

You can find cheap fake ones at Harbor Frieght and other places for more like $25 that work just as well.

I have started tying shells on the prototype and also started the mold layup for the custom resin bases I am making for each lamp.

Sorry I still dont have pics but they will come soon.

I also have decided to reduce the class size to 8 people. I dont want to come up short on shells so it seems the safest way to go.

That means there are only TWO spots remaining for lamp day.

Dont wait too long if you really want to attend.

I will refund your money if you change your mind after seeing pics of the prototype (hopefully done by Sunday evening May 18th)

[ Edited by: Monkeyman 2008-05-14 10:08 ]

I'm in. I also have one extra dremel tool so if anybody needs it let me know.

Jeff

H
harro posted on Thu, May 1, 2008 5:02 PM

Damn another awesome event that I'd love to go to - I gotta move to California!!!

Make sure someone takes plenty of pics.

C

looking forward to seeing what these lamps look like when they are done!

I have started tying shells on the prototype and also started the mold layup for the custom resin bases I am making for each lamp.

Sorry I still dont have pics but they will come soon.

I also have decided to reduce the class size to 8 people. I dont want to come up short on shells so it seems the safest way to go.

That means there are only TWO spots remaining for lamp day.

Dont wait too long if you really want to attend.

I will refund your money if you change your mind after seeing pics of the prototype (hopefully done by Sunday evening May 18th)

ok..

first, here is a pic of the two rows of shells that I managed to tie on during the Tiki Caliente Event. The finished lamp will have four rows, flanked by seagrass braid at the top and bottom.

Here are 6 of my molds ready for resin. The wooden ring in the middle has been sanded, stained, and clearcoated FIRST.

The open space between the light colored flat ring and the dark ring will have sea stars like this

and abalone chips like this... and will also have a very tiny crushed shell scattered around in the resin.

more pics as I complete.

First round of resin is poured. The embellishments are placed in the wet resin. This layer needs to dry and then another layer of resin is poured on top. Then that layer needs to dry.

This Tikigrrrrl is feeling all super-crafty! Thanks, Monkeyman, for putting me on your class rollcall! I own a dremmel (damn, that's hot!) and am ready to make some tikilamp magic! I'll take plenty of photos, so that SOMEONE (more clever than I...ahem... Derek...) can post them up after 5/24. Looking forward to meeting all my fellow do-it-your-gawdamn-selfers in a few days in beautiful Vista, California. Hey, anyone else from Tiki Magazine going to be there? Or am I the only one? Aloha for now! -- Kari

Anyone interested in carpooling from Orange County?

T

To get everyone in the mood, here are a few photos of shell lamps at Walt Disney's Enchanted Tiki Room at Disneyland. After looking at the photos of the custom resin bases Monkeyman is making, it looks like our lamps will be much more fantastically detailed.

What time is this shindig getting started?

Brian

10am until whenever you want to leave...

the time and all the specifics should be contained in a PM that I sent to all the participants.

Dude and Dudets...Lamp day rocked & a good had was timed by all. We made an awesome lamp and monkey boy is a great host, and kept us well lubricated with the bevy. Many thanks. Can't wait until next year. Hey how did you arrange to have the 2 hot chicks there?
And...the work aprons that we got to keep...Man sweeeeeeeet.
Later...............

I'll second that TikiVegas!! Monkeyman was the consumate host and the lamp design and setup was first rate. Fun, friends, and a new cool lamp. Sorry I missed last year but I won't make that mistake again! Thanks Monkeyman!!

What a great day. Thank you Monkeyman for putting this together and everybody else who attended. I think everybody will agree the lamps turned out fantastic. Here are a couple pics, the cord will be hidden behind bamboo once I am done.

Those lamps are SOOOO cool! I love the resin base. I wish someone up here in the Seattle area would host an event like this - has that ever happened? I would but I don't have the space or the talent!

wow, those are FANTASTIC! I have to make it to the next lamp party you host. I really need a lamp over my diningroom table and one of these would be so perfect. So sorry I could not make it up there for this class.

Thank you, Monkeyman! What an amazing thing to open up your home to people you barely (if at all) know, and teach us how to create something so beautikiful! I really enjoyed being able to "bedazzle" my lamp to my heart's content, with your open-minded encouragement and patience. And your house is a work of art, as well. You are one fine host and a gifted artist. I look forward to next year's class and seeing you (and the other lamp-builders) at upcoming events.

Thanks to all who attended. It was a LONG but productive and fun day. Im glad you all made it to the finish line without any major mishaps...

Lamp Day Begins... first we build out the wire cage that will hold the shells in place
Goddess Sun and Riptide

It was an intimate setting with all the tables set up in U shape.. kept everyone facing eachother
TikiVegas, TikiSan, and Gonegoannas

GoddessSun, Riptide, KahunaKev, whoseyrdaddy

Tangaroa-Ru, Tikivegas, Tikisan, and Gonegoannas

A few of the finished resin bases ready for install

The Race for Shell tying is on... its a slow and tedious process.
Whoseyrdaddy happy as a clam... or a scallop...or a pecten of some sort

Gonegoannas ... REMAIN Focus.. grasshopper

Eventually everyone found their groove
Riptide bustin out the hot glue

Regardless of how tired we were... everyone was happy at the finish line.
Riptide was an inspiration to all of us with his first finish

Tikivegas hung up on his work.

Tangaroa-ru, the mistress of embellishment

Goddess-Sun... thank you for making the aprons for all of us.... buy why arent you wearing yours :)

Thanks everyone.

[ Edited by: Monkeyman 2008-05-25 19:44 ]

On 2008-05-25 09:19, gonegoannas wrote:

I love this pic, it looks like an aquarium of some kind!

Derek, how about some names to the faces in your post, please?

I love this pic, it looks like an aquarium of some kind!

Derek, how about some names to the faces in your post, please?

Nah, I think he did!!?? I recognize the names, TC anyway, er,...... I think I know Goddess-Sun as a MTBer.......? She may not post but, she has been at many Oasieees as Goddess-Sun.

Great lamps!!!!!!!! By the way!

Welcome to the Monkeyman sweat shop... I mean Fantasy Island!

TikiVegas speaking the local dialect.

Gonegoannas at work.

Roxanne

Santiki - It's the quiet ones you gotta watch out for.

Tongaroa-ru

KahunaKev

Not just for evil genius' anymore, mind control is a fav of the Monkeyman for boosting productivity amongst his minions.

Fin!

It never ceases to amaze me how friendly TCers are. Derek, thanks again for your hospitality and good times. I'm really diggin my lamp in a big way.

Brian - the happy scallop?

[ Edited by: Tikiwahine - to fix images - 2008-05-25 23:09 ]

[ Edited by: whoseyrdaddy 2008-05-25 23:22 ]

[ Edited by: whoseyrdaddy 2008-05-27 08:34 ]

R

WOW! What another great Lamp Day. Derek, thanks so much for opening up your house to us and sharing your talents for another year. It was awesome to have my buddy Goddess Sun return for year 2. It was also nice to see some new faces in the bunch. What makes this event so great is that not only does the finished product look amazing when lit up at night, but it also looks totally cool in the middle of the day when it isn't even on. Anyway, here are some photos of my lamp hanging in its place at my house.

First set: In the daylight:

Last year's lamp in the foreground.
and all lit up in the evening: (with a blue bulb inside)

(with a red bulb inside)

I'm looking forward to next year's Lamp Day already.

Ok gang here is mine with my sublte touches :) Notice the shells on the "shaft" and the top

C

Wow - what FUN!!!

Monkeyman - it's great that you're spreading out your skills to teach others!!

Sure wish I'd been in the area this weekend to participate - looks like a great time was had by all & what great creations you all have to show for it!!!!

On 2008-05-25 14:59, Tangaroa-Ru wrote:
Thank you, Monkeyman! What an amazing thing to open up your home to people you barely (if at all) know, and teach us how to create something so beautikiful! I really enjoyed being able to "bedazzle" my lamp to my heart's content, with your open-minded encouragement and patience. And your house is a work of art, as well. You are one fine host and a gifted artist. I look forward to next year's class and seeing you (and the other lamp-builders) at upcoming events.

Those are So Cool. WOW.. I wanted to participate so badly so please Derek have another clinic soon the holiday weekend just didn't work out for me
:(

THANK YOU so much Derek for a wonderful experience. I had so much fun.
Thanks for all the prep work you did. Lunch was yummy the music was great.
OOH and how can I forget about the Monkeypods. :) Deeeelicious
Riptide it was fun sitting next to you. It was nice meeting new people. I'm IN for next year. The lamp is hung and it l@@ks really nice. I will post pictures later.

Thank YOU again Derek.

WooHoo!! Those lamps are awesome. Thanks for taking the time to post your pics. It looks like everyone had a great time.

Congrats to everybody who made an awesome lamp!! Riptide I am so proud to have you as a brother...and there is plenty of time between now and x-mas for you to make me one!! Thanks in advance my bro!!

Here are some pixs of my lamp, I've also included the one from last year. It's very cozy in the living room.

Thanks Again Derek

Pages: 1 45 replies