Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Music

Are you a musician / Do you play an instrument ?

Pages: 1 43 replies

S

I'd like to hear from fellow members who are either musicians ( performers ) or who play an instrument .

I have played drums for many moons , and have a humble collection of vintage and modern drums & cymbals .

Not in band currently , but play every day along with CDs via Walkman & phones .

How about you ?

..i play kazoo......i don't own one yet but i have a lease, with an option to buy....... sigh....someday, though......

seriously, i did play drums as well for many years.....after jr. highschool jazz band, i gave it up to chase girls instead.....no really,i did play for years and had a real drumset but the paper skins kept breaking......no seriously i had a ludwig set....and i was a band geek in school for much of my early education....

M

Not a musician, but I have my moments on the Hawaiian steel.
http://www.hwnsge.5u.com
Any steel players/lovers here?

B

Yes, I've been know to play a little..
Basil
http://www.waikiki-islanders.com

There’s a thread called Tiki Musicians Unite, that’s duplicated here!

I play guitar.

http://www.kawentzmann.de

I sing. Does that count? But I think my voice might be a bit too 'rock' for this exotica malarkey ...

I also play a bit of guitar and drums -- only a bit, though.

T
D

Keys and Vibes here!

I play Rubber Sitar, Bass Castanets, and Electric Kazoo. Do I win a prize?

Actually, percussion all the way: congas, bongos, claves, guiro, cabasa, bodhran, bones, doumbek, au go-go bells, shakers, castanets, tambourine, djembe, etc., etc. And, of course, that dreadfully boring -- but unfortunately often necessary -- time-keeping invention, the trap set. Scale percussion I've always had a talent/dexterity for but never persued. I regret that. I do have one of those mini-pan (steel) drums I can play quite well, though. But my biggest regret is never having learned the piano. I suppose it would've helped to have one at home; that way, I could've been stuck inside doing lessons on a warm sunny day, rather than outside having fun with the other kids.

S

On 2008-04-16 06:55, Quiet Village Idiot wrote:
I sing. Does that count?

Of course ! The human voice is ( well , can be ...) one of the greatest of instruments !

S

Drums and miscellaneous irritating noises. Tikiyaki Orchestra and occasionally the Smokin' Menehunes.

I own a bass.
:)
but not in any band.
want to start a surf band.

but I was at the surfing Museum on Sun, and there was a jam session,
I was asked to join in,
I did 3 surf/instro songs.
Pipeline,
Penetration, and
Link Wrays
Jack the Ripper.

fun stuff.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

[ Edited by: bigtikidude 2008-04-21 23:47 ]

TB

Yeah, I mess arround here and there. I play drums and various percussive devices, a little keys, some bass, and just enough guitar to be considered dangerous. I even write exotica, country, rock, techno, and world beat music. Even done a little bit o zydico, you name it, I've written or recorded it.

http://www.mindshaftmusic.com/exotica_project.htm

Tiki Bill.

T

I play guitar and sing. On an exotic island called Someday Isle, there is a CD of my music being listened to and enjoyed by one and all.

[ Edited by: Thomas 2008-04-22 07:52 ]

C
Chub posted on Thu, Apr 24, 2008 11:16 AM

I've been in a bunch of bands over the years. Guitar is my 1st instrument, but I also play vibes and keys.

-Mondo Mod (surf/go go) see http://www.myspace.com/mondomod

-Freddy & the Four Gone Conclusions (Garage rock) see http://www.myspace.com/freddyfortune

-the Elevations (Soul) see http://www.myspace.com/theelevations

Currently working on a new unnamed project, playing guitar and keys.

kinda i play the sax sometimes. i've been playing since i was in high school

Is there a point to this thread?

S

On 2008-04-24 11:16, Chub wrote:
I've been in a bunch of bands over the years. Guitar is my 1st instrument, but I also play vibes and keys.

-Mondo Mod (surf/go go) see http://www.myspace.com/mondomod

-Freddy & the Four Gone Conclusions (Garage rock) see http://www.myspace.com/freddyfortune

-the Elevations (Soul) see http://www.myspace.com/theelevations

Currently working on a new unnamed project, playing guitar and keys.

Freddy & the Four Gone Conclusions is a COOL band name !

S
squid posted on Fri, Apr 25, 2008 8:58 PM

On 2008-04-25 16:02, DJ Terence Gunn wrote:

Could provide jam hookups for musicians....or we could just brag a bit. :)

Played Bass for many years sit ins but not full on band stuff , 60,s Beatles ect , Lefty here .

I play bongo and congas and ukulele and guitar, but mostly I'm a singer. I'm currently with two bands. One is a surf/rock band and the other is jazz band. We perform at park concerts, jazz clubs, corporate events and home parties.

As a hobby, you can't beat performing. I find it totally satisfying. I love being on stage and I love the constant discovery as I work to improve my skills.

S

On 2008-04-25 20:58, squid wrote:

Exactly !

Here is one of my kits - a circa 1962 Gretsch Progressive jazz kit . Perfect for surf-rock , exotica and jazz !

T

I play guitar, and uke. In my band i play theremin,melodica, and im the lead singer. were a sci-fi themed ska band

http://www.myspace.com/drskavra

S

Guitar and Uke. Not pro, just a closet musician.

V

I play the theremin and the matryomin (matryoshka shaped theremin) with different bands. And the uke too.

http://www.myspace.com/nicolasvirani

C

I dabble in Congas. Actually numerous percussion instruments, djembe, ashiko,
timbales, surdo, you know, stuff that can be banged on. I play regularly in a
churchy rock band, sit-in with a fairly well known blues band in the area, and
have recorded a bunch of stuff with a couple of friends. We are strictly
percussion along the lines of Mickey Hart's Planet Drum. Some of the TC Ohana
might know us as "The Mensters."

T

On 2008-04-27 18:49, sushiman wrote:

On 2008-04-25 20:58, squid wrote:

Exactly !

Here is one of my kits - a circa 1962 Gretsch Progressive jazz kit . Perfect for surf-rock , exotica and jazz !

Looks just like my friend Jeff Utterback from the Boardwalkers kit...I thin his is a 1958 tho'.

TM

Nice kit!

I started out on Violin when I was 6, played in several youth orchestras. I also started playing Piano just before, but never had a single lesson. Then I switched to Electric and upright bass in Jr. High. I also started playing drums, guitar and mandolin around the same time. In High school I stuck with Bass, playing jazz bass in the stage band, but added marimba and french horn (so I could be even more of a dork and be in the marching band all 4 years). Around this time Rockabilly was really hip, so I did that with some friends. Also played with a surf/mod/punk band for a while. In college I played vibes in the stage band. In the military over in the Islands I jammed with a lot of guys that were into fusion at the time (weather report, spyro gyra, Crusaders, etc..)got into traditional Hawaiian music (I had already been into Exotica since early childhood-via my mom's Martin Denny and Arthur Lyman records) and re-dedicated myself to bass. After getting back home I joined mostly rock bands playing in a RUSH tribute band, and ELP/YES/KING CRIMSON tribute band, several new wave bands in the vein of Berlin and Missing persons, ect, and then top forty bands, funk bands, and one particularly vicious Huntington Beach band that wanted to be the next Dramarama or Sublime. Then I whored myself out to everything from Bluegrass to polka, and finally found my boys in the Smoking Menehunes about 5 years ago. I also was a member of a straight ahead bop group just prior to joining the menehunes. Because I am bald, and like to go to bed early, I totally wrote off being a rock star. Just did not have the desire or the image, though others tried to steer me in that direction. If I had a dime for every time some guy said, "Just wear a hat"........

[ Edited by: lucas vigor 2008-05-01 19:58 ]

S
squid posted on Mon, May 5, 2008 10:59 PM

On 2008-04-27 18:49, sushiman wrote:

Exactly !

Can you hear me drooling over there Sushiman?

G
GROG posted on Mon, May 5, 2008 11:56 PM

GROG played tuba, baritone and valve trombone in highschool. Toured Europe with a concert band when GROG was sixteen. Our first concert was in Carnegie Hall before we flew to Euope to start the month-long tour. GROG still have tuba mouthpiece, but haven't played a note since college, so probably wouldn't be any good in a band. Now GROG only play the radio, and GROG can barely get a good tune out of that.

T

Hey Grog, I played Baritone Horn in school too.

Great Minds.....oh nevermind.

H
harro posted on Tue, May 6, 2008 8:42 AM

attempt to play guitar. not much tiki style, but i do own a custom made Wosrite, based on a Mosrite Ventures model.

broke up the band I played in for 10 years to traverse on a shoe-string around South America (and carve Argentinian tikis)... also sold my flamed '71 Valiant coupe, collectible Harlem Globetrotters pinball, and a few guitars... God was I crazy???

anyway here's the link to my old band, Wiseacre myspace - mix of upbeat ska, raucous rock n roll etc. GROG may like since theres HORNS!

there might be pics of us tiki style in my front yard with some of my tikis and bar - promo for a tiki gig I put on for our last CD launch. I put a thread on TC about it here

Virani can you teach me Theremin when I come over to your side of the world?? Would love to learn!!

Cheers.

C
Cammo posted on Tue, May 6, 2008 10:23 AM

I don't play a note, but my kid is 15 and is becoming a guitar nut. He started with violin, then piano, then when his fingers were big enough to press frets, he grabbed a guitar and will not let go.

He started on a Fender Sonoran acoustic, then bought this from a friend for 75 clams;

It's a Fender Strat, but we hot-rodded it with DiMarzio pickups, a nicer pickguard and oyster/jewel/chrome knobs. We call it the King Penguin.

And last night he just bought this with his own cash:

Its a spankin' new Gibson SG with the cherrywood 'worn finish'. Its so serious its kind of scary taking it out of the case. Looks like the Devil, sounds like an Angel. Don't have a name for it yet.

Sushiman, when you visiting da good old US of A????

S

" Sushiman, when you visiting da good old US of A???? "

Cammo .

Well , actually I was just in the USA at the end of March , on the Big Island of Hawaii . Was back twice in 2007 as well , after a 5 year hiatus . Why ?

C
Cammo posted on Tue, May 6, 2008 4:30 PM

Sushimanno -

My wife's family is from Kumamoto, you should come to Otto's Oasis sometime and DJ for him around the pool! Please!!!

S

On 2008-05-06 16:30, Cammo wrote:
Sushimanno -

My wife's family is from Kumamoto, you should come to Otto's Oasis sometime and DJ for him around the pool! Please!!!

Where in Kumamoto is your wife's family from ?

What is Otto's Oasis all about ?

DJ - moi ? ; )

On 2008-05-06 08:42, harro wrote:
attempt to play guitar. not much tiki style, but i do own a custom made Wosrite, based on a Mosrite Ventures model.

broke up the band I played in for 10 years to traverse on a shoe-string around South America (and carve Argentinian tikis)... also sold my flamed '71 Valiant coupe, collectible Harlem Globetrotters pinball, and a few guitars... God was I crazy???

anyway here's the link to my old band, Wiseacre myspace - mix of upbeat ska, raucous rock n roll etc. GROG may like since theres HORNS!

there might be pics of us tiki style in my front yard with some of my tikis and bar - promo for a tiki gig I put on for our last CD launch. I put a thread on TC about it here

Virani can you teach me Theremin when I come over to your side of the world?? Would love to learn!!

Cheers.

harro you guys are kick ass! if only you guys werent from australia, our bands could have played a tiki themed ska show together

C
Cammo posted on Thu, May 8, 2008 5:54 AM

"What is Otto's Oasis all about ?
DJ - moi ? ; ) "

Oui, DJ - toi!

Do a search on TC for the Oasis threads, it's a huge retro-tiki party held in San Diego. Lots of pictures have been posted of last year's event. He needs DJs. He always needs DJs. (Otto is a big vinyl collector.)

I think they're from a small town called Haginoh. (Haganoh?)

H
harro posted on Thu, May 8, 2008 6:25 AM

On 2008-05-07 20:03, tikithomas08 wrote:

On 2008-05-06 08:42, harro wrote:

Cheers.

harro you guys are kick ass! if only you guys werent from australia, our bands could have played a tiki themed ska show together

thanks man. I checked out your band on myspace. cool stuff. you must like the aquabats? I saw em in NYC almost 10 years ago when I was travelling through there. funny bastards they were!!

S

Where is your wife fro‚ in Kumamoto ? I'm curious .

C
Cammo posted on Thu, May 8, 2008 7:49 PM

Sman - I think they're from a small town around there called Haginoh. (Haganoh?)

S

On 2008-05-08 19:49, Cammo wrote:
Sman - I think they're from a small town around there called Haginoh. (Haganoh?)

Naver heard of either . Please ask your wife .

thanks harro, yeah were big fans of the A bats. I know em all, ive done some graphic design work for them, and have been to over 20 aquabats shows, haha

Pages: 1 43 replies