Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Another Homemade Lamp

Pages: 1 10 replies

M

I picked up a Petrofied Puffer at the local Craft Fair for $30 and bought $12 worth of hardware at Home Depot, and within an hour I had a 16" puffer Fish Lamp with 14 feet of gold chain cord.

This one is for a friend's B-day gift. I've been watching Ebay and havn't seen one. What do you think I could get for a Puffer Lamp? I may make another and see. Anyone know what OA sells them for?

MauiTiki

Tiki Stickers http://www.stuckonmaui.com
Sacred Grounds Hawaiian Coffee http://www.gourmet-kona-coffee.com
Hawaiian Clip art http://www.islandimages.com

[ Edited by: MauiTiki 2006-02-15 19:47 ]

I think I bought one from OA for about $140 or something like that. I then went out and did what you did and made my own for way cheaper. I even thought of selling them on e-bay myself. I'd be interested to see what you can get for one on
e-bay. Good luck.

Also, I can't tell what color lightbulb you have in the fish but you might want to try red and blue lightbulbs too.

M

I've been watching Ebay and havn't seen one. What do you think I could get for a Puffer Lamp?

This one was one of two from the same seller. The listing was not the best, "porcupine"?

Puffer Fish Lamp on Ebay

midnite

DZ

As has been discussed in an earlier thread, there's a seller named "[email protected]" who sells these in multi-colored sets of 3, 4 even 5 that usually go for around $50 a set. They ship from Thailand, but it's still a lot cheaper than $60 - $140 each! However, he hasn't been selling any recently, so there may be a void that needs to be filled!

M

Also, I can't tell what color lightbulb you have in the fish but you might want to try red and blue lightbulbs too.

It's a 40 watt white bulb. I thought about colors, maybe in a set of small puffers.

This one is much larger than those little ones that midnite and Doctor Z have seen go for $20 to $60.

I'm sure I could get little ones but they just don't give the same effect. I'm thinking of making one to sell, so we can all see what it would go for. Any opening bids on a 16" Puffer Lamp?

Maui- Cool Pufferfish! I like how he looks at you with his lazy eye - you really don't know which one to look at when talking to him.

I know these guys can be found pretty cheap in the souvineer shops in down in Florida - but I don't think I ever saw one that was 16".

Any east coast or Floridians who can tell me if these guys (larger ones) are available in your area?

Also, how did you poke the hole in the little guy? I did not know if the vibrations from a drill would harm the fish or not.

I almost bought one in Florida a couple years back, but worried how the fish would travel back to Ohio. They look so fragile, you know?

Your lamp looks great Maui! I'd like to try that myself. (I say that about everything I see on here! Drives my wife crazy!)

J

Is their any magic to the assembly, or just hand a light bulb in the fish?

Would someone like to post construction instructions?

j

M

I used a Dremmel tool with a rotary cutting attatchment to cut the hole in the top of the puffer. This was horrible. The smell of cutting bone/flesh/glue almost made me puke.

I bought the basic light fixture attatchments at Home Depot and a fixture for the small bulb. It went together fairly easily after I got the hole cut. I'm leaving the hole open to allow the heat from the bulb to escape.

Maui, I used a dremel also and I would STRONGLY suggest using a dust mask or something. You don't want to end up breathing in dead fish dust. That smell is disgusting.

L
laney posted on Sun, Mar 2, 2003 11:21 AM

Don't forget glasses. When I cut a few of these guys, every once in a while a spine in the cutting line would shoot off with a "peww!" sound. I guess it's trying to get revenge from beyond!

All -or most- of my questions have been answered in Tikistitch & Swankys post in the Main Discussion Area.
Guess I should pay closer attention, hu?

Pages: 1 10 replies