Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Travel

Help needed in London

Pages: 1 19 replies

F

Aloha compadres. I’m heading to London for a seminar next week and would love some pointers on the tiki-to-do in London. I don’t have too much of time but will try to squeeze in Trader Vic’s and Mahiki. Is there anything else that is a must? And are there any good liquor stores with a steady supply of rum that you can recommend?

Thanks and mahalo!
Flamingoo Fred

Trailer Happinees, Sugar Caneand South london Pacific are worth checking out if you have time.
Jerrys on Old Compton St is the best bet for Rum if it is still there, rumour has it , it was closing but I haven't been in along while.
Let us know when you are in town, might meet up for a couple of drinks.

Gerrys is still there on Old Compton Street. Sells plenty of rum, and surprisingly the WhiskeyExchange store on the same street sells a fair selection of rum.

Definitely try Trader Vic's and Mahiki. They are amazing.

C

On 2008-04-17 04:05, Kon-Hemsby wrote:
Gerrys is still there on Old Compton Street. Sells plenty of rum, and surprisingly the WhiskeyExchange store on the same street sells a fair selection of rum.

Definitely try Trader Vic's and Mahiki. They are amazing.

Thanks for clarifying - I'm planning on stopping by Gerry's again to buy a few bottles of Pisang Ambon when in town in early May.

Tikiracer is coordinating a get together for my trip over - looking forward to meeting some of the UK tikiphiles - what FUN! :)

F

Great! Thanks! I found the site for Gerry's. It looks very nice.. and it looks like they will have a significant part of my pay check when I’m done.

The bars look spectacular. I would like to visit them all but I have to see how much I can twist the arms of my colleagues on this short trip. I’m slowly trying to win them over to the Tiki side of life.
Otherwise I’ll be back later for some serious exploration.

F

Looks like the barhopping will be quite brief for me this time. Too bad but what do you do.

Is there any tiki/retro shopping locations that i shouldn't miss?

Have a lot of fun!

Liz

F

Sweet! Thank you.

It's shaping up to be a get together on May 7th. Kick off at Mahiki early, then off to Trader Vic's for food, then onto one of the other Britiki joints [tbc]. I'll do a proper post later today. Hope you'll be around. pm me for more details.

http://www.tikiracer.com

[ Edited by: tikiracer 2008-04-23 08:13 ]

Oh! And next door to Black Pearl http://www.blackpearlboutique.co.uk/
in Kingly Court (off Carnaby Street) is a new rockabilly barber/ladies hairdresser called 'It's Something Hell's' http://www.carnaby.co.uk/stores/stores_item.cfm?store_id=290&cat_id=3

Not exactly tiki or exotica but very cool!

F

Well, I guess I have to confess to being a rockabilly so It's Something Hell's seems right up my ally. Thanks again!

Soon I'll be on my way.

Damm that looks cool. Wish I had more hair!

Self-confessed rockabilly, eh? Then you should check this out if you are here in London by Sunday, flamingo...

Two bands and three DJs - starts Sunday afternoon at 14.00 in Camden, London

Bugger! I've already made plans for Sunday. And that looks brilliant. Grrrrr

F

I'd like to thank you all for all the great tips! Unfortunately I didn't get to go to any tiki bar this time around. I did pass by Gerry's and all the nice places at carnaby street. Just fantasic! I landed five bottles of rum (and two bottles liqueur) at Gerry's.

Thanks again! I'll be back and then I'll do all the tiki that come in my way.

Mahalo friends!

[ Edited by: Flamingo 2008-04-28 05:53 ]

TT

My better half and I are going to be in London for a couple of days in September. Does anyone have any updates on this thread, or is this still reliable info?

Tam (Ed) Tiki

mostly still reliable :) but also add Mahiki's new sister club in the city: Kanaloa.

TT

Blue.Octopus,

Thanks for the info. Since we'll probably only get to go to one place while in London, which one would you recommend? We'll be staying at the Park Plaza near the Westminster Bridge, and I'd like to go somewhere relatively close and easy to get to.

Thanks again,
TT

IMHO Trader Vic's is still the best place in London - great drinks, great service by very friendly staff, authentic decor from original Tiki period and food as well if you want to eat.

All the others lack the restaurant, and play music which is very modern and not tiki. However if you want to see the best revival tiki-style bar and cocktails with a modern twist then I think Kanaloa curently has it. The music is not so loud if you go early.

R

Am also looking for "if you can only do 1 or 2 tiki things in London" recommendations...

And sad news for those looking to do a "Werewolves of London" tour: it looks like Lee Ho Fook's has closed down based on the October 6, 2009 review here on Trip Advisor:
http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g186338-d680330-Reviews-Golden_Harvest-London_England.html

~Rupe

Pages: 1 19 replies