Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

My Mistake

Pages: 1 4 replies

Last night, after a 16 hour day of work, I came home and made what I thought was a quick and easy Mai Tai. Now, I didn't expect it to be all that great as most of my "good stuff" is locked in my Casita and frankly I was just too tired to go out and retrieve my good rums. However, I didn't expect what happened next.

I made my Mai Tai the TV way but was disappointed to find that the only rum in my kitchen cabinet was a bottle of Bacardi Select. Still, I was just too tired to go out and get the Martinique and Appleton. When I reached for the TV Orgeat, I noticed that it was quite white and very syrupy. Rats! Had it spoiled? Still, I went forward and made my mai tai according to the recipe.

After shaking, I poured the drink into my glass and to my shock it came out a creamy white alabaster... I thought to myself, perhaps the orgeat recipe really has changed for the worse. But, being tired and worn, my senses much too chaffed to know better, I sipped it anyway.

Wow. It was great. And, it was so much like coconut. That wasn't orgeat I reached for but instead TV's KoKo syrup.

And so, I offer the Tiki's my humble mistake - the Monkey Mai Tai.

Oddly, I can't remember ever seeing this drink before, so I hope I am not stepping on anyone's toes.

Sounds good. I'll have to give it a try sometime soon. Any suggestions on substitutions for the Bacardi Select? Maybe Cruzan?

Time of death: One post!

On 2008-04-17 10:52, BrickHorn wrote:
Sounds good. I'll have to give it a try sometime soon. Any suggestions on substitutions for the Bacardi Select? Maybe Cruzan?

Cruzan is a very good, economically-priced, go-to substitute for many of the Bacardi incarnations.

I liked the sound of this . . . so I put a "Monkey Mai Tai" together utilizing what I had on hand thusly:

1 oz fresh lime juice
1 oz of Lopez Coco Lopez Cream of Coconut (I don't have any TV products)
1/2 oz Senior Curacao of Curacao
1/4 oz home-made Rock Candy Syrup
2 oz Coruba

Put it all in a top blender with crushed ice.

Poured it into a TV Mai Tai glass with 1/2 the lime shell and a sprig of bruised mint.

NICE DRINK! Interesting lime-orange-coconut thing going on in the background with the Coruba!

Thanks telescopes . . . your "mistake" makes it into my library of Tiki Drinks!

I bet you feel more like you do now now than you did when you came in.

GH

[ Edited by: GentleHangman 2008-04-18 12:37 ]

Pages: 1 4 replies