Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

How to Tiki-fy a bbq grill?

Pages: 1 14 replies

Here's the grill that resides next to my Tiki bar. Boooorrrrring. I need ideas how to spruce it up a bit, obviously I can't cover it with bamboo, ask Fire Marshall Bill why.

..don't know about that, but here's what i did to my weber a few years back.....check out this craziness... The "PATIO DADDY-O " deluxe!!!!!..

Awesome!!!!

T

StainlesS steel cleaner would be a good 1st. step !!!

rum numb went nuts with his trader vic's chinese oven!

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=21477&forum=1

whatever happened to that guy?

1BADBBQ! Now that's what I'm talkin' 'bout. Very nicely done! Tipsy, with all the craze over custom choppers and whatnot, you could probably take some of those grills to some custom rod and bike shows and make a killing!

I'm not gonna do mine up hot rod, but there's some inspiration for sure! I might have to go pick up some hi-temp spray paint and get busy.

I don't think the stainless steel cleaner will do much. I think the rust on the top is because it's not SS all the way through and the thin plating is gone, leaving the sheet metal to rust. I tried wire-brushing it only to have the rust return after the next rain.

[ Edited by: bamboo stu 2008-04-21 12:43 ]

if you use a regular steel wire bruch on stainless steel, you actually put the ferrous stuff from the regular steel into the stainless and get all sorts of rust... at least that is what my metalworking friends have told me.

an option might be, if you can find a primer that will work on stainless steel, to paint it with some heatproof paint, perhaps a bamboo color.

Johnny you may be right about the wire brush. I've got some inclination to take the bottom off and set it in a cabinet with the bar fridge next to it, outdoor kitchen style. Then I'll plumb in a sink, icemaker and dishwasher, tee hee..

T

"obviously I can't cover it with bamboo, ask Fire Marshall Bill why."

Not true.
I think you could cover all with Bamboo,rattan,And burlap
the lid is open most of the time.
The handles Bamboo!
The side tables, Bamboo with Grass matt!
The front of the grill, ie doors Bamboo,grass matt.
Stainless steel = not tiki!

You need to think like those guy on
"Whats with that house"
Think outside of the box.
Or in this case grill!

T

Oh yeah,
Tipsy that grill is just great!

I've enjoyed all the fantastic work on this website for a long time. So this is my first posting. I could not resist showing off my BBQ grill. When I got it home it was all black...way to much blank space...so I broke out my brushes and went to work. It's stood up really good for all the cooking it's put through.

T

Welcome belprime.
That grill looks better than my car!
Nice work!!!!

As Bamboo Stu said at the beginning of the thread, you can't cover your grill in bamboo for obvious safety reasons and stainless steel is not very "tiki". So I came up with a plan to cover at least some of the stainless steel. My son-in-law owns a vinyl graphics business so I can get free vinyl graphics :) I love Robb Hamel's velvets but they are too valuable to glue to my grill! So, with Robb's permission (THANK YOU ROBB!), I had my son-in-law print it out for me and I stuck it to my grill. Maybe I'll have some vinyl bamboo or matting printed to cover the corners and sides :lol:

D

all three of those grills are great!!! I can build just about anything but can't paint to save my life. Nice work!

Spiffied it up with a little more printed vinyl

Pages: 1 14 replies