Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Music

PeeWee/Exotica mystery solved! (what the?!?)

Pages: 1 7 replies

P

Boy, am I relieved. For years, every time I would put on Denny (specifically Quiet Village) PeeWee Herman would pop into my head. I know I know, I was concerned too. Well, today for some reason I thought of downloading the PeeWee's Playhouse theme song and sure enough it has an exotica-like intro. I can stop worrying about those random thoughts of PeeWee now:P Um, sorry for wasting your time, just thought I would share. lol ~poi

The composer of the Pee Wee Herman title track Mark Mothersbaugh, ex lead singer of Devo, always was a Martin Denny fan. He went over to Hawaii to see him play live a couple of times in the 80s, when Martin Denny still perfomed at the Hotels.
Mark has a company called Mutato Musik and is doing well composing jingles and tracks for the film industry, among them the Rugrats Theme.

V

that is just too cool - Martin Denny, Pee Wee, and Devo in like, one-degree of separation!

I was in Norfolk, VA in August of 1980 on a business trip. We were staying at a place called the Tidewater completely bored out of our minds one night & we decided to go into downtown Norfolk to find some action. Anyway we ran into some strangely dressed people walking down the street and we pulled over and asked them what was going on. They told me they were on their way to a Devo concert and gave us directions to a place they claimed was a cool club. At any rate we finally found the place (totaly crap) got drunk and didn't make it back to the hotel until 2:00 in the morning. The next day we woke up & went to work and the other guys we were staying with said, "hey you guys missed a great party last night. These guys from a band called Devo showed up and invited everybody up to their room for drinks". Sometimes you just can't win!

FYI, I've had the Pee Wee's Playhouse theme listed in my "Also Of Note" Exotica section here on the Tikiroom for a few years now. the page doesn't get looked at that often. check it out!:

https://tikicentral.com/music/savage-alsoworthnoting.htm

D

What a trip! I've been listening to DEVO all day! Wierd.

[ Edited by: filslash 2008-09-05 13:30 ]

Pages: 1 7 replies