Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Marketplace

Trader Vic's Kava Bowl and Suffering Bastard

Pages: 1 16 replies

T

Both the Kava Bowl and suffering bastard mugs are available on the Trader Vic's site.

https://www.tradervicsgourmet.com/category/9

[ Edited by: thefuzz 2008-04-21 09:10 ]

Thanks for the heads up! I just ordered a Kava Bowl.:)

T

No Problem,
Also should check out their sale on Reyn Spooner Trader Vic's aloha shirts! $48 dollars for an $80 shirt is a great deal.

http://www.tradervicsgourmet.com/category/18

[ Edited by: thefuzz 2008-04-21 11:51 ]

T

I just got mine in the post today, and sure enough it is a numbered edition of 50. Mine is stamped "Trader Vic's By Tiki Farm 2004 5/50". Was there a un-numbered edition dated 2003 and 2004?, and if so, why were these 50 limited, and what is the differance between these and the other 2003 and 2004 bowls? :-?

LT

On 2008-04-24 10:24, thefuzz wrote:
I just got mine in the post today, and sure enough it is a numbered edition of 50. Mine is stamped "Trader Vic's By Tiki Farm 2004 5/50". Was there a un-numbered edition dated 2003 and 2004?, and if so, why were these 50 limited, and what is the differance between these and the other 2003 and 2004 bowls? :-?

Some versions of the bowl had lighter, more subtle glaze colors; I believe these were among the earliest and in my opinion the better looking version of the bowl. If you look at some of the bowls listed on Ooga-Mooga you can see the difference.

Is there any difference between the Suffering Bastard sold by TV vs. TF?

T

Is there any difference between the Suffering Bastard sold by TV vs. TF?

I Didn't actually purchase the Suffering Bastard, just the bowl, but as far as I can tell. Looks the same as the green ones that are posted on O.M., so I bet there was no difference. I also belive the ones on the TV site, are made by Tiki Farm. The Bastard shot glass is cool, but seems a little steep at $7.00, but then again the dollar is falling like a rock. I think I might convert to Euros soon :P

I'll post Pic on O.M. Soon!

[ Edited by: thefuzz 2008-04-24 11:25 ]

Got my Kava Bowl this morning, number 4 of 50. I like the lighter glaze. Hiphipahula's comments on Ooga Mooga regarding Holden's take on this 2004 edition are interesting.
http://www.ooga-mooga.com/cgi-bin/all/mug.cgi?mode=view&mug_id=290&ind_mug_id=12942

Nicknamed the "Albino" because of the white figures. It is a beautiful piece. I guess the numbering was Trader Vic's request for the first 50 that they ordered? Other than that, I don't know that there is anything else that makes them unique.

[ Edited by: ManFromT.I.K.I. 2008-04-24 12:50 ]

i received my cava bowl today broken in a million pieces.#13/50.
trader vics is happy to replace it asap.i also recieved the suffering bastard mug in green and two shot suffering bastards also in green. the website makes the shots appear black.all of these arrived in perfect condition.looking forward to my replacement bowl.

LT

On 2008-04-25 11:17, ron-tiki wrote:
i received my cava bowl today broken in a million pieces.#13/50.
trader vics is happy to replace it asap.i also recieved the suffering bastard mug in green and two shot suffering bastards also in green. the website makes the shots appear black.all of these arrived in perfect condition.looking forward to my replacement bowl.

Ouch - Unlucky 13! You should save it for posterity. I can't remember who it is, but someone who posts here incorporates tiki mugs into their artwork; they might be able to do something cool for you with the remnants.

It must have taken a pretty good hit. Mine was very well packed and arrived safe and sound. I also ordered a couple of the SB shots thinking that they were black. I was a bit disappointed to find that they were green but I'll keep them.

AT

I just checked out the site and the cheapest option for shipping it here to Hawaii costs $38.75.
Damn the price of living in paradise!!
I'm gonna pass on this one and save my funds for Poi.

LT

On 2008-04-25 19:29, Alii Tiki wrote:
I just checked out the site and the cheapest option for shipping it here to Hawaii costs $38.75.
Damn the price of living in paradise!!
I'm gonna pass on this one and save my funds for Poi.

You might try calling them and requesting USPS Parcel Post or Priority instead of UPS, that should bring shipping down to $10 or $15.

i received my replacement kava bowl today in perfect condition.it is an albino one also.thanks t.v.'s

Good for you--a happy ending. Let's all raise our Kava bowls and S.B. mugs in a cyber-toast to Trader Vic!

LT

On 2008-04-24 10:24, thefuzz wrote:

I emailed Holden to ask if he could shed a little light on these numbered bowls; here's what he had to say...

"Those were done early on in an individual batch per the request of Trader Vic's grandson, Peter Seely. As a result, the glazing is a little different then the more open edition versions - a bit lighter. Personally, I like them more as I prefer the subtle tonal changes vs. the richer spot colors that they called out. Not sure why they held onto them for so long and even in doing so, that they are offering them at what I feel is a very fair price..."

LT

On 2008-04-25 11:50, LOL Tiki wrote:

On 2008-04-25 11:17, ron-tiki wrote:
i received my cava bowl today broken in a million pieces.#13/50...

I can't remember who it is, but someone who posts here incorporates tiki mugs into their artwork; they might be able to do something cool for you with the remnants...

Here they are, Velvet Glass. I've got a broken Orchids Marquesan (3 Tiki) bowl - also destroyed when shipped - that I'm thinking about sending to them.

R

thanks lol tiki for the info on velvet glass.i'll contact them and see what they can do.i'll keep you posted

LT

On 2008-05-02 19:12, ron-tiki wrote:
thanks lol tiki for the info on velvet glass.i'll contact them and see what they can do.i'll keep you posted

No problem. :) Hopefully it will be a better alternative than simply throwing the remains away.

Pages: 1 16 replies