Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

The First Ever Forbidden Island Luau! May 18th @ 3:00PM

Pages: 1 37 replies

M

Aloha!

Forbidden Island invites you to kick off the summer in style- at our first ever Luau! On Sunday, May 18th, starting at 3:00PM, we'll be featuring an afternoon of great food, drink and entertainment that will take you away to sunny day in the South Pacific.

Featuring:

-Traditional Hawaiian Plate Lunch Buffet!
-Live entertainment from Tahitian & Hawaiian dancers all day long!
-Select Forbidden Island Cocktails at special prices!
-FIRE DANCERS!!!
-Luxurious gourmet gelato from Gelateria Naia (www.gelaterianaia.com) featuring Forbidden Island Cocktail-flavored gelatos! Yum!
-Lilikoi Beer and sweet swag from Kona Brewing Company!

So don't miss a day in the sun at this special event. Admission and entertainment are FREE, with food & drink for a fee. Please note the event is 21 and over only.

Mahalo!!

[ Edited by: martiki 2008-05-14 11:38 ]

M

Aloha,

We're looking for a handful of vendors (two or three) to set up shop at our Luau. We're looking for vendors who have a WIDE variety of things to sell, not just a carving vendor or clothing vendor, but someone who has a full range of island/tiki stuff to sell, both vintage and new. (All other vendors, we'd love to have you, but stay tuned for the Parking Lot Sale in September- details in a few months). If you are interested and think you can offer a wide variety, please send an email to Mike at info at forbiddenislandalameda dot com.

Mahalo!!

So there.

C
CP posted on Tue, Apr 22, 2008 5:43 PM

It's everything I dreamed it would be . . . and more.

S

My birthday is the 17th. This would be a great way to celebrate. If only it were not on the far side of the country!

CL

Airfare $127 to $170 each way web special on SouthWest TN to OAK...

On 2008-04-23 06:21, Swanky wrote:
My birthday is the 17th. This would be a great way to celebrate. If only it were not on the far side of the country!

S

On 2008-04-23 09:15, Coco Loco wrote:

Hmmm. Nashville to LAX $250 round trip...

On 2008-04-23 09:48, Swanky wrote:

...but gas from LA to SF is 400 right now!!!

J

What am I missing? Why would you fly to LAX for the Forbidden Island Luau? It's 400 miles from there!

S

On 2008-04-23 10:45, JenTiki wrote:

What am I missing? Why would you fly to LAX for the Forbidden Island Luau? It's 400 miles from there!

California to me is one place. What do I know of California? Same as people saying they are coming to Memphis and can we get together. Sure, if I drive 8 hours to meet you! :wink:

S

Of course this is the weekend AFTER I'll be in CA.

Suzanne

J

On 2008-04-23 11:08, Swanky wrote:

On 2008-04-23 10:45, JenTiki wrote:

California to me is one place. What do I know of California? Same as people saying they are coming to Memphis and can we get together. Sure, if I drive 8 hours to meet you! :wink:

Yep, same thing! :) Go with Coco Loco's suggestion to fly into OAK (Oakland). It's only about 7.5 miles from FI, 7.5 more miles to Trader Vic's Emeryville, then drive 9 miles across the bay and you're at the Tonga Room! Your own little mini-crawl! :D

That's the weekend after finals for me......whee!

C
CP posted on Tue, May 6, 2008 4:25 PM

Counting the days for this puppy!

And we will be in ... Nebraska... !! Drat! :(

On 2008-05-06 16:55, tikiwinebear wrote:
And we will be in ... Nebraska... !! Drat! :(

If in Omaha: http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=26178&forum=2

The smokiest room I've ever been in (it's in a basement with no windows), lousy drinks (big jugs of artificial flavoring), but... a great time to be had. It's a tiki bar in OMAHA! Certainly worth dropping in, if for nothing else than to put another notch in your tiki bar belt.

Hey we should all have Tiki Bar belts.

Okay, now back to that Forbidden Island luau everyone's talking about these days...

I will do everything I can to be there! What's the cost to attend this festive event?

J

On 2008-04-21 18:14, martiki wrote:

So don’t miss a day in the sun at this special event. Admission and entertainment are free, with food & drink for a fee. Please note the event is 21 and over only.

We will be there. Hopefully having recovered from Tiki Caliente...the next week is going to be rough on the ol' liver.

Jeff

Update:

Hawaiian/ Tahitian live entertainment all day long

Hawaiian Plate Lunch

FI Custom flavored Gelato

Lilikoi Beer

FIRE-DANCERS!!!

and of course, Henry the Horse dances the Hukilau (just kidding)

Lilikoi Beer???!!?? WOW! I am really bummed now, thanks Conga Mike. Do you think they have poi in Nebraska? :)

Have a great time! See you all soon.

Aloha from the corn fields.
Myke

Will there be a full F.I. drink menu available, or a limited drink menu?

Wailua Wheat, mmmmmm...

M

On 2008-05-14 11:57, Unga Bunga wrote:
Will there be a full F.I. drink menu available, or a limited drink menu?

We'll have five (discounted!) FI cocktails available for the event. We have to serve in plastic cups in the parking lot to avoid breakage. I think we started doing that because of you, Unga. :wink:

All right!
My first commemorative mug.

Thanks Martin!

MA

What is the legal time to begin standing in line for the awesome Unga Bunga Commemorative mug? Just kidding ;>) Can't wait to drink the FIs and see Tahitian dancers!!!!

M

Get ready to try China Clipper, Monkeypod, and Macadamia Nut Chi Chi gelato from Gelateria Naia! (http://www.gelaterianaia.com/)

Yep, real FI cocktails in gelato form! With booze built right in!

How good does that sound now that it's 100 frikkin' degrees outside? I could kill some of that right now!

J

On 2008-05-16 09:52, martiki wrote:
Get ready to try China Clipper, Monkeypod, and Macadamia Nut Chi Chi gelato from Gelateria Naia! (http://www.gelaterianaia.com/)

Yep, real FI cocktails in gelato form! With booze built right in!

How good does that sound now that it's 100 frikkin' degrees outside? I could kill some of that right now!

Right now I am SO happy that my diet gives me weekends off!!! :D Those are some of my favorite FI cocktails!! And it'll be awesome to 'em in gelato form in this tropical heat wave we're having!

As Benzart would say "Happy :D Happy :D Happy!"

Yummm, alcohol and gelato, my two favorite food groups!

On 2008-05-14 17:41, martiki wrote:
We'll have five (discounted!) FI cocktails available for the event. We have to serve in plastic cups in the parking lot to avoid breakage. I think we started doing that because of you, Unga. :wink:

**THIS JUST IN....TIKI HUNTER WILL BE THERE VENDING WITH A WIDE VARIETY OF GREAT TIKI SWAG!!!

INCLUDING SOME INEXPENSIVE MUGS FOR THOSE WITH A TENDENCY TO DROP THEM AFTER A FEW DRINKS! :lol:

PLUS GREAT STUFF FROM ARTISTS LIKE GECKO,

CRAZY AL AND MORE!

WE'RE LOADING THE TIKI CRUISER TO THE GILLS JUST FOR YOU!

WE LOVE CASH BUT WE ALSO EXCEPT PLASTIC SO THAT YOU CAN EITHER GET THAT BIG TICKET ITEM YOU'VE BEEN WANTING OR START YOUR COLLECTION WITH ONE OF EVERYTHING!

SEE YOU SUNDAY!
MAHALO,
DR.TIKIMOJO**

M

Mañana!

J
JennX posted on Sat, May 17, 2008 2:59 PM

See you tomorrow!

how goes the Luau?

did tons of tiki and surf shows down here this weekend but still

wish I was there....

Jeff(bigtikidude)

[ Edited by: bigtikidude 2008-05-18 20:00 ]

MA

Been there and as usual a great time at FI. Started with a Painkiller that was delicious. Went out back and the food looked yummy but I had had a big lunch but people were chowing down. on the pork and grilled chicken. The gelato was so gooood. I tried the macadamia nut chi chi which was great along with the chocolate banana that was soooo goood. Had two Island Mai Tais and tried the Kona passion fruit beer. It was crisp and tasty. The Tahitian dancers were excellent. Very entertaining. Martin, Jessica, Stephanie and Melissa were providing the usual high quality service and drinks. Dr. Tikimojo was the sole Tiki vendor but had a great variety of items. You could also pick up FI shirts and mugs. Everyone seemed to be having a great time. Sorry you couldn't make it, but maybe at the next FI luau.

M

That was a mighty fine Luau!

Thanks very, very much to everyone who attended- We know you have a choice when choosing your Luau provider, and we thank you for making Forbidden Island your preferred Luau!

Summer may officially start now! :)

Mike took lots of pix, so I'm sure he'll post some here soon.

J

The China Clipper gelato was delicious! Can we put the merch table next to it next time so I can go back for seconds. :wink:

Oh the gelato. I had two full servings, and I think one of my housemates put away three (on top of cocktails and lunch). I hope it was successful enough to make it happen again -- I didn't get to experiment with making floats out of cocktails and gelato!

A-LO-HA!! The Luau was awesome and we had loads of fun!!
Thanks to all who came for this, despite the fact that there were at least four other Bay Area festivals the same day. Thanks to our Beer Sponsor - Kona Lager through Horizon Bevarage Co - whose debuted Lilikoi Brew was light, crispy and delicious. It'll definitely be on FI's tap selection real soon. Thanks also to Geleteria Naia, whose custom FI drink- flavored gelato was frikkin amazing!! The dance troupe was top notch, as was the Fire-Dance performance by Erin of FirePixie.com. Good to have Dr TikiMojo vending as well. What would a Luau be without some great stuff to buy?!
Thanks again... You can be sure this will become an annual event.

The Hui Hula o na Pu'u i ka Noe Dance Troupe (now try saying that after a few Mai Tais!!)

A Luau staple - the audience participation hula lesson

Boo Loo and Retro Diva serve up Hawaiian Plate Lunch from Alameda's own Hawaiian Drive Inn BBQ

Luau revelers - and this was just the outside!

The ultimate show stopper

Fire Pixie gets close and personal

[ Edited by: Conga Mike 2008-05-19 23:32 ]

Pages: 1 37 replies