Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Col Beach Plantation Punch Recipe

Pages: 1 2 replies

Comparing the recipes for this Donn Beach Classic from the Bum's "Grog Log" and the Don Estate's "Tropical Rum Drinks & Cuisine": The 2 formulas are pretty similar, but Bum calls for a little less lime, & a little more Falernum, but most importantly he uses 2 oz. Pineapple where Don's book uses 1 oz Curacao

Now I know that Master Mixologists like the Don & the Vic were known to adjust their recipes over time - but since I have nothing better to do this week, I believe it is important to compare these 2 formulas.

Has anyone else in TC Land dealt with this sort of research? I believe this is as important as any of Big Bro's archeological inquiries.

More to come . . .

Tonight I made the Donn Beach "HTRD&C" recipe. This is a really nice cocktail ... nice and STRONG! Sipped from the mug instead of through the straw I'm getting a subtly tasty fruit blend from the garnish of pineapple, mint & orange - Don't ignore the garnish - it's part of the balanced recipe - The picture in the book shows a really BIG chunk of mint, and that really enhances the taste - This is a very pleasant drink.

Tomorrow I'll try the Bum's recipe, using the same ingredients:

Appleton's Extra for the Jamaican Gold
Cruzan Single Barrel for the Gold PR
Mt Gay Eclipse for the Barbados
Reed's Ginger Beer
Herbsaint
Fee's Falernum

Aloha!

For the record, I'm using Marie Brizard Curacao

Tonight I made the Bum's Grog Log recipe. I'm really liking this drink! It's not as potent as the HTRD&C, but it's much more "drinkable". I'm tasting the identical rum blend, but the Pineapple Juice softens the "rumminess" - We still have the Donn Beach "complexity" from the Herbsaint/Angostura combo, but the 3 oz of fruit juice (vs 3/4 oz fruit juice in the HTRD&C formula) makes this a pleasanter experience.

THIS will be the recipe that goes into my "little black book"

Time to listen to Martin Denny or Tikiyaki Orch.

Aloha

Pages: 1 2 replies