Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Some rums. Please comment.

Pages: 1 15 replies

T

Interested in feedback, comments, and opinions frum rummies who have tried these:

Cubaney (12 yr, 8 yr, anejo, anejo reserva and white) - Dominican Republic

Prichards (Crystal, gold and cranberry) - Tennessee

Ron Botran (white, solera 1893, gold, blanco, anejo oro, anejo 8, anejo 12) - Guatemala

Santa Teresa (Rhum orange, grand reserva, 1796 solara) - Venezuela

Tanduay (white and dark) - Philippines

Westerhall (plantation rum) - Grenada

Toucano - Brazil

Courtesy of my good pal, Scott, I got to try some Santa Teresa and it is my most favorite rum ever.

I got to try the Tanduay (I'm guessing it was the dark?) at a party with some Filipino friends a while back. It's really good straight, they had a fifth size bottle of it and they were just passing it around. I'm guessing it would be pretty good in a mixed drink although it has a very sweet and fruity flavor of it's own.

[ Edited by: Jason Wickedly 2008-04-25 08:31 ]

Santa Teresa Rhum orange is fantastic! it has a very crisp orange flavor..outstanding! i just love it.

S

-- I haven't heard many god things about this brand, but I haven't tried any personally. I won't buy it, based on what I've heard from people I trust.

-- The Crystal is astounding for the skill of the distiller. So smooth it's incredible, an unbelievable considering that it's not aged. But I didn't find a lot of taste in it. I didn't like it at all, at first, but after tasting many more whites I recognize some serious skill in making this. Almost a sipper, but possibly too good to mix. A conundrum, for sure. The Gold is very good, but not amazing and thus possibly overpriced. But a very versatile mixer. The cranberry I have, but haven't tasted. I've heard non-New Englanders whine about it - so I think you should judge the purchase based on your love of cranberries.

Ron Botran (white, solera 1893, gold, blanco, anejo oro, anejo 8, anejo 12) - Guatemala
-- The better stuff can be amazing for it's very subtle flavors. Some rave over the Solera, but I think it takes some mighty fine taste buds to truly appreciate it. I like it a lot, but would pick many others over it. The Anejo 8 is kinda boring, but it makes for a mixer that will almost disappear in a drink - which isn't always a bad thing if you plan the cocktail accordingly.

-- In order: Amazing, amazing, amazing. Run out and buy the Orange and the Gran Reserva, but hold out on the 1796 since it takes some time to truly appreciate (like the Ron Botran above). Pappy, above, is talking about the Gran Reserva, which runs a mere $17 around here. A great rum at a great price. You won't mind sipping this, and at the price you won't mind mixing it either. The orange, well, is simply amazing. Don't expect a lot of rum taste, but you will get one of the finest orange liqueurs on the market. The ST line are all under-priced rums that are damned fine rums.

-- No knowledge.

-- I've always heard good things about this, and have had an uncracked bottle for years. My guess is that this is a damn fine mixer that's not too expensive, but not quite sipping quality.

Toucano - Brazil
-- No knowledge.

T

Thanks guys.

The reason I ask is because I may find myself pimping one of these rums soon, but of course I have to try them before I give my endorsement.
With so many on the list, I figured I'd get some feedback on which to try first and which to skip.
(There were some other rums on the list too, ones that I have tried, like St James and El Dorado and Clement, all of which I like a lot).

Looks like I'll be running right out for the Teresa!

Funny I should read this thread. I just found a local supplier of Tanduay Rhum, and they are out of stock. Hoping they get more soon, fingers crossed.

P

Swill

The gold is fine and mixes well but its a little overpriced I think

Never heard of it

Fabulous Rum but not as good as others for the same money.

It's what the locals drink. It's cheap and not bad in a mixed drink on the beach. But I wouldn't have it in my bar at home.

Non descript. Decent but so many are better for the same price.

Toucano - Brazil

I tried it once but don't remember.

Fabulous Rum but not as good as others for the same money.

OK, dish! What's better for the same money?

T

I only have tried:
Ron Botran Anejo (can't recall the age) - OK for the money (inexpensive), but my friend who has not tasted much straight rum thought it was nasty
Westerhall - nice for daiquiris but not much flavor for sipping
Santa Teresa - I think it was the 1796 Solera that I tasted at Forbidden Island and liked quite a lot for sipping

I've tried the Westerhall, used to drink it somewhat regularly; great for Ti Punch.

P
S

There's Ron Pampero, which is even cheaper than the Santa Teresa in my town.

I'd also take the Ron Pampero over the Santa Teresa 1796 - and the ST is much more expensive.

But the Santa Teresa Gran Reserva - I'd put that up to any other in that price range. The bottle ran me $17, and was well, well worth it. You're not going to get an ultra-fine sipping rum for $17, but this was a decent sipper, and very nice with lots of flavors.

Just picked up a bottle of Santa Teresa at the local liquor store. Are there any particular drinks in which it works well? In other words, for which of the rums typically called for in tiki cocktail recipes can Santa Teresa serve as a substitute (or even an improvement)?

Santa Teresa 1796 is a fine rum but in my opinion it is not as remarkable as some people let you know. Good for sipping but as Scottes said it requires a little more experienced palate to fully appreciate it. You can read my tasting notes here as well as download a powerpoint presentation and product information about this rum.

I tried the Santa Teresa Gran Reserva as a substitute for Cruzan in a Nui Nui. It worked very well, although I feel it has a stronger liquor flavor than does the Cruzan. I plan to test it as a substitute for Appleton's Extra in a mai tai tonight.

[ Edited by: BrickHorn 2008-06-27 07:53 ]

Pages: 1 15 replies