Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Tikis and Cannibals in the Cook Islands

Pages: 1 10 replies

P

This seemed too interesting not to post.

While most other cultures seem to be denying their cannibalistic past, on Rarotonga in 2007 they celebrated it as the theme for the Maeva Nui parade. One float featured cannibals roasting dinner and dancing before the Tangaroa Tiki idols. I doubt even the Do-Dah parade ever thought of doing anything like this. Check out photos here...

http://www.gea-educatie.com/cookstemaeva1eng.htm

And a short YouTube video here...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e4MlzfnPNjs

On 2008-04-26 13:17, PiPhiRho wrote:
This seemed too interesting not to post.

This was interesting indeed..and quite amazing. But the first link didn`t work.

P

Well, it was working before. It looks like the website is down for some reason. Hopefully it is temporary. There were some good photos there.

Yes, the link works now. what fantastic pictures! and they give another perspective on how things may have been at the time.
Interesting!

H
harro posted on Wed, Apr 30, 2008 6:23 AM

wow... interesting indeed.

love the placard "christianity took away our right to practice cannabalism"

dont see that one everyday!

Check out this stupid game:

"Cannibal Warrior"

Oh man i want that shirt!! Thanks for the pics- most entertaining. Made me hungry!

I want that T-shirt too..

mmmmmm long pig.....

Jeff(bigtikidude)

C

On 2008-04-30 06:23, harro wrote:
wow... interesting indeed.

love the placard "christianity took away our right to practice cannabalism"

dont see that one everyday!

Definitely funny!

I can say, thought, from being in Rarotonga earlier this year that there is very definite tension between the Religious faction of the island, and a growing resurgence of wonderful people who are re-discovering the artistry, crafts & tradition of their ancestors. Tattoo is making a slow re-emergence (not without resistance), as is carving, canoeing (as in the traditional style), but not without some controversy from the Religious front who would rather not have much of this element. It effects how they market tourism, etc. Was fascinating to hear a little about this on our visit to the island.

&, yes, we did see that shirt for sale, though didn't buy one
:)

T
thick posted on Thu, May 1, 2008 2:46 AM

I really need a war drum. . . .

Pages: 1 10 replies