Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

DIY network -- blows it big time

Pages: 1 0 replies

Was very happy to see an episode of "Creative Juice" titled "Aloha" coming up on the DIY Network, so I set the TiVo to record it. Man oh man, where to begin...

1. How about papier mache tiki masks that look like something a 3th grader might make. Worst lines by the host:
    "Ancient tiki masks were made to look like monsters to frighten off evil spirits"
    "Really, with the painting, you can go crazy."
    "The more colors you use, the better it looks."
    "You can use any color you want -- get really creative."
    "Get really creative. There's no right or wrong way to do these things."
    "These are fantastic decorations. They look so good."

1. The next project was what they described as the "very tiki" bead curtain, made by stringing wooden beads and clear soda straw pieces of colored yarn. Yep, sure did look "very tiki" to me, too...

2. They did a good job on the pina colada, even going so far as to make it out of fresh pineapple, which they scooped out with an ice cream scoop so they could use the pineapple "shell" as a cup. They mixed 2 oz. rum, 2 oz. coconut milk, 3/4 cup pineapple, and 1/2 cup ice. They even added a paper umbrella, tiki swizzle, and flowered straw. They only made (IMHO) one mistake in recommending "any medium grade rum".

3. Their luminarias weren't too bad, either. They made color copies of traditional Hawaiian fabric, which they decoupaged onto thick-walled, glass, straight-sided vases. Turned out pretty nice. They then recommended using vintage Hawaiian postcards, which made me cringe. I hate to see something that has survived for years be turned into something "trendy" or "funky".

Pages: 1 0 replies