Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

The Mai Tai vs. The Samoan Fog Cutter

Pages: 1 1 replies

One of my latest exotic cocktail passions is making (and drinking!) the Samoan Fog Cutter. I do change the recipe slightly, halfing the amount of lemon juice and using golden Puerto Rican rum rather than light, but such changes only enhance the original recipe a bit more rather than compromise it.

The thing that strikes me every time I take that first sip is the similarity in taste -- despite the great difference in ingredients -- the drink has with the traditional Mai Tai. Other than the rum and dilution of crushed/shaken ice, the Orgeat syrup seems to be the strongest binding force behind the similarity of the two drinks.

Seems Orgeat syrup has since long been the secret ingredient (which is not so secret anymore!) behind several of Trader Vic's exotic cocktails. It's the power of the almond!

K
KuKu posted on Sat, May 10, 2008 7:16 PM

Indeed it's the Orgeat, when I first started bar tending @ NHYC back in the early 80's they had their own version of a Mai Tai, even though most older members were familiar with the Trader Vic's recipe as was, I and protested at first. They really liked their Yacht Club version and rightly so as it packed a wallop as opposed to a punch. Just as sweet but more rum for the fun. Bottom line they told me was the Orgeat syrup.
It was good and I still make them on my own these days and no complaints...
1&1/2oz. each Bacardi Light & Amber Rum
Splash of OJ
Ditto Pineapple
1/2 oz. Orange Curacao
1/2 oz. Orgeat Syrup
1/2 oz. fresh squeezed lime juice
1/2 oz. Meyers float topped with a splash floater of Bacardi 151.
Garnish with sprig of mint, a lime/cherry/orange/pineapple and umbrella

Pages: 1 1 replies