Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

the beginning....Tiny's Pygmy Hut ..starts here....

Pages: 1 16 replies

Just thought i'd post progress on my latest tiki bar home build-out.....

This area is located on the enclosed back porch of the house...it's a small space but i think i can transform it into a viable place to hang out in the summer.....the photos below show the beginning.....the nasty gray floor and paneling w ere here when i bought the place.....the paneling is going to stay though......i'm kinda doin this one on the cheap cause i plan on demolishing the back porch in a couple years in order to expand it out into the yard and include windows on all three sides of it......the porch has no concrete footings, which is the main reason i need to demo it and extend it out so it eventually doesn't sink into the yard........I started framing with some 2 x 4 's to create a shelf space for plants and stuff as well as the usual flotsam and jetsam......this is a view looking east across the porch..the old owners just put up paneling and added the windows - they never put any insulation or plywood in between the walls so it gets pretty cold out there in the winter.....which is why i'm building the main tiki bar and winter hideaway up in the attic.....where it gets sweltering hot in the summer, which is why i'm building this bar downstairs for the summer months.......

I will post pics of the completed area you now see, later today......

..here's an update of the place so far.......still have to paint that beam on the ceiling dark brown...and the lightswitch box and conduit as well.....other than hanging a few more masks and pictures, this half of the porch is done.....on to the other half and the bar.....

i had alot of this boomerang formica left over from my old apartment.....i had just enough to do the drink rail, the window shelf and the bar top and bar shelves.....

I have some old barkcloth curtains and a valance that i gotta hang around these windows too....

[ Edited by: Tipsy McStagger 2008-05-03 17:15 ]

H
harro posted on Sat, May 3, 2008 6:01 PM

you're a quick worker!!!

two bars in one house? nice one. cool name for this one too.

look forward to more updates.

H

This looks great Tipsy, I like the palm tree sticking out.

thanks!! i got 5 of the vintage palms at an estate sale years ago........the trunks were all they had......i sank the trunks in coffee cans full of cement, added a styrofoam ball to the top, painted it brown, added brown burlap to it and palm fronds from big lots for a buck a pop and there you are!! I'll have 2 out here for now....the rest go inside the house......

Wow, that turned out really nice. I love the boomerang formica. Outstanding creativity the way you put together that palm tree.

MrsHoptiki

here's the latest.......the porch bar area is 99% finished......it looks a little sparce, but this is the point at which it will continue to grow as i accumulate more crap to put on the walls and ceiling......I am going to make a shelf unit/shadow box for the wall behind the bar....but not for awhile.....i gotta get going on some other rooms in the house and some art for upcoming shows......enjoy!

Here's the before shots....

and after.....

[ Edited by: Tipsy McStagger 2008-05-24 16:57 ]

H

Tipsy, I love it.

T

Has the feel/look of a check-in counter of a Mom & Pop Motel !!!!!!

T

I like it! Looks cozy and intimate. Only question -
Where's all the damn booze!?

It's too Anal!

( JOKING!!!!!!!!!)

here's an update!!

I custom made this shelf....used some suffering bastard tikis from a couple of wine bottle holders....the tikis eyes glow red too!!

this cabinet was in the washroom when i bought the place....it was used for storage....now it hold my tiki mugs and glassware for the bar.....check out the cocojoes tiki door handles.....

[ Edited by: Tipsy McStagger 2008-06-24 16:18 ]

Where's the new O.A. pole?

On 2008-06-24 17:25, albino tiki wrote:
Where's the new O.A. pole?

....in the basement....getting the years of dust and nicotine off of em' and pulling all the staples out of his head from holiday parties gone by before being installed.....

[ Edited by: Tipsy McStagger 2008-06-24 21:30 ]

M

Lookin' good!
I've got the same parrot, it drives the dogs nuts. :D

B

Cool stuf Tipsy, I Love the shelf above the door/window too. Lots of nooks and crannies to hide tiki and stuff, Can't wait to see it done, although places like this are Never "Done".

here's some shots of the cement tikis in the garden.......

..and a couple of cool cats hanging out on the drink rail.....rusty, the little red guy and his fat ass 30 lb. brother, oscar.....

p.s.....solar spot lighting is my new obssession.....they are awesome.....i recommend them for lighting tikis out doors or on walls.....i'm gonna make some out door wall lighting for the garage that disgiuses the spot light but can illuminate a mask or something.....i'm gonna experiment with these things....you should too!! they are cheap ($19.99 at any jewel/osco store for a pair)......and require no electricity....

"when the shit eventually hits the fan.......we all get a little on us!!"

[ Edited by: Tipsy McStagger 2008-07-06 09:54 ]

[ Edited by: Tipsy McStagger 2008-07-06 09:55 ]

Pages: 1 16 replies