Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Locating Tiki

Greenwood Pets & Plants, Warren, MI (store)

Pages: 1 4 replies

Name:Greenwood Pets & Plants
Type:store
Street:13983 9 Mile Rd
City:Warren
State:MI
Zip:48089
Phone:

Description:
Large pet store specializing in tropical fish.

it is quite possible that this store had the largest contribution in creating the tiki imprint on my impressionable young mind. I used to go there as a kid all the time. The store is a long and narrow building that takes you through many seaside settings... from steamship to tropical huts to pirate ships... all executed in a surprisingly professional way (for such a crappy area of town). Please excuse my photo quality, I was taking pics on the sly and the staff was eyeing me like a criminal.

Sign out front...

Looking 1/2 way down the main hallway (notice Moai on floor)

My favorite piece in the place.

Electric torches and Bamboo Swag lights.

Fish Huts.

Nautical room.

discomatic tiki!

Sadly, I didn't get pics of all the smaller tiki masks and carvings. Many look like OA items which leads me to wonder if the big orange mask is a Leroy piece. I suppose I should email them and ask. Also, there are several LARGE glass float jugs in heavy netting that I couldn't get pics of (yet).

fin.

Very cool, a new genre for Tiki! I've never seen a tropical fish store like that. That's not just window dressing, that's a serious installation. Would be interesting to find out WHEN it opened, and what inspired the owner. I don't think that big mask is O.A., but I'm curios about the other ones. Maybe if you'd rest the camera against something, the pics would be more in focus...or use a flash, for clarity, now that the atmosphere has been conveyed.

K
Koolau posted on Tue, May 6, 2008 1:41 AM

That is crazy amazing - kind of reminds me of the Bahooka with all those glowing fish tanks. I like the tiki torches right next to the No Smoking sign, half buried in thatch.

On 2008-05-05 22:09, bigbrotiki wrote:
I don't think that big mask is O.A., but I'm curios about the other ones. Maybe if you'd rest the camera against something, the pics would be more in focus...or use a flash...

I couldn't use a flash because the staff was being difficult.

The other OA masks are of the classic foot tall, machine carved variety. I want to say #435 in the catalog? (I'm at work, no catalog with me to verify)

Pages: 1 4 replies