Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Music

Sinatra does Bossa Nova

Pages: 1 4 replies

one of the swingin'-est, smoothest pieces of ear candy that i can think of is "FRANCIS ALBERT SINATRA & ANTONIO CARLOS JOBIM" - frank teams up w/ the master of bossa nova to cover such timeless wonders as the girl from ipanema, dindi & meditation. it's subdued sinatra...fascinating! probably not sinatra (& definitely not jobim!) at his best but a priceless gem none the less!

R
rch427 posted on Mon, Jun 3, 2002 5:29 PM

Just as good is (side one, anyway) of "Sinatra & Company", also with Jobim, Don Costa and Eumir Deodato. It has one of the greatest versions of "Wave", as well as "This Happy Madness","Aqua de Beber","Triste" and "One Note Samba". Brilliant!

It also has some truly regrettable numbers on side two, but that's forgiveable.

TC

On 2002-06-03 17:29, rch427 wrote:
...one of the greatest versions of "Wave"...

But of course, THE greatest version of "Wave" is on Joao Gilberto's Amoroso!

By the way, who's Eumir Deodato?

:sheckymug:
Tiki Chris

R

Well, I'd agree that Joao's version of "Wave" is the best in Brazilian Portugese, but I'd say that Frank's is the best in English. I'd have to say that, as it is "our song" of my wife and I.

Eumir Deodato is a Brazilian pianist/composer/arranger who worked primarily with Astrud Gilberto. He's also done work for films.

W

Sinatra's version of "Wave" kills me. I can listen to that over and over and over. I love how his voice almost bottoms out of his range and his "Together...Together..." at the end of the song is so flat and passionless.

Pages: 1 4 replies