Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Diplomatico rum

Pages: 1 20 replies

O

I tried Diplomatico rum at the Wine Warehouse event on Monday. David Stare of Dry Creek Vineyards loves rum and has a large collection like Martin at Forbidden Island. You two must know each other right?
I fell in love with this 12 y/0 Venezuelan rum and he also handles some others like Ron Barcelo which was excellent,

I mentioned the Rat Pack tribute we are having this weekend at Tiki Caliente where we plan to sip fine rum and smoke cigars.
I wanted to buy a bottle to take but they gave a bottle for this Rat Pack tribute. If you are there at Tiki Caliente, help us toast the Rat Pack at midnight Saturday.
Thanks again Dry Creek Vineyard!

Diplomatico is such a fine sipping rum that just doesn't get enough press.
Kern from the Mai Kai says its like ice cream.

So smooth & complex. A great high end rum for a medium price.

The Diplomatico is sure yummy tasting !!

I just tried th Ron Barcelo a few weeks ago, it was also pretty tasty.

S

Yep, the Diplomatico is quite nice, and at a very nice price.

I didn't really care for the Ron Barcelo, though.

Liz, Kern got me into this Diplomatico rum too!

He gave me a sip of it last year at Hukilau and it was veeeery nice!

S

I agree,

My brother got me a bottle for the holidays, and it disappeared fast,I served it to many non-rum drinkers, who could not beleive they were sipping rum.

I have ordered several bottles since, and this has become my favorite sipping rum, and fortunately at $28 a bottle, it is affordable.

S

I think Diplimatico is the nicest sipping rum around. Ron Zacapa 23y.o.is good, but this is even better. Goes down far too easy.

[ Edited by: swizzle 2014-07-08 20:49 ]

C

On 2009-02-23 13:16, swizzle wrote:
I think Diplimatico is the nicest sipping rum around.Ron Zacapa 23y.o.is good,but this is even better.Goes down far too easy.

Completely agree with this. Ron Zapaca 23 had been my favorite.
After being introduced to Diplimatico last week by a bartender at Mahiki, I am a total convert. Brought a bottle back home with me, now just have to find it near home....

They are also making a VERY nice white rum. Give it a try.

http://www.RUMCONNECTION.COM
Daily News, Rum Reviews & Other Distractions

M
Murph posted on Tue, Apr 7, 2009 10:21 AM

Here's another plug for the Diplomatico.
I hosted a rum tasting this past weekend and
after seeing this post went out and got a bottle for the event.
The Diplomatico was one of the favorites out of the 13 rums tasted.

Thanks for the heads up!

T

On 2009-03-31 14:50, croe67 wrote:
Completely agree with this. Ron Zapaca 23 had been my favorite.
After being introduced to Diplimatico last week by a bartender at Mahiki, I am a total convert. Brought a bottle back home with me, now just have to find it near home....

Good luck, Caroline, I have had no success finding Diplomatico in any of the midwestern states.

BTW, I was out drinking with the U.S. rep for Zacapa last week, and I uncovered some interesting dirt.

The 'new' Zacapa 23 is the same as the 'old' after all.
The $15/bottle(-ish) price increase is simply to lure in the 'fine whiskey and cigars' crowd, who (it is theorized) will take rum more seriously if it is more expensive.

This is so lame, but this is how the brand is being repositioned in the market. Seems to me that most of the rummies around here already saw Zacapa as a fairly high-end brand, but apparently it isn't high-end enough for some people.

Try a Zacapa Manhattan - I was surprised (but should I have been) at how good it can be.

S

The place where i first tried the Diplimatico also have the Anejo and the Reserve that they make.Both of them are pretty good,but trying them after the Diplimatico you just cant go back.

They also managed to get me a bottle of Doorly's XO which is very nice.It's gets a second ageing in ex-sherry barrels.

Well I've had the Ron Zacapa 23 and Zaya. Both very similar with the Zaya being a tad sweeter. I picked up the Diplomatico and I like it. However, when the Diplomatico is drunk from a glass, there is a slight sulfur background that wisps by for a split second. Yeah yeah I know, Maybe I'm just smelling my upper lip! but I don't notice a similar smell with a glass of Ron Z or Zaya. However, when I drink the Diplomatico straight from the bottle, the smelly overtones are completly bypassed yeilding to a very very nice rum. Definitely superior to the Ron Z and the Zaya. They just need to fix the strange sulfur weirdness. In the meantime I'll stick to drinking it straight from the bottle. No problem there, except for the embedded pour spout which is easily removed.

do you wrap the bottl ein a brown paper bag,
and wander around downtown, while drinking it?

I thought maybe I saw you yesterday on the way to the Tonga hut.
:wink:

Jeff(bigtikidude)

It wasn't me, I only made it as far north as the Hermosa pier. And my bottle bags for travelling are bright "look at me" orange, cops love this stuff, they chuckle and it makes their day. I'm sure you wouldn't miss me. Do keep an eye out. It is true that drinking straight from the bottle cuts off the olfactory senses from weighing in on the taste. Usually the olfactory rounds out and can improve the flavor of what you're tasting. In the cases of the Diplomatico, removing the olfactory element improves it in a very positive way. Try it. Yes, straight from the bottle for this one.

O

Not very Dimplomatic of you both. Why an I thinking of the Wizard of Oz? Hmmm?

T

Reviving this thread because I've been hearing good things about this rum, and thought it deserved another look.

Get some! It's my favorite (but I keep checking just in case.) Delicious.

Does anyone know if the Reserva is being discontinued? One of my local box stores has had it on sale for $15 for months now and I just looked on Diplomatico's website and don't see the Reserva listed in their repertoire. In it's place is one called Mantuano. The orange on the label gives me hope that this is just a new branding for the same sauce and maybe the discounted price is to exhaust the old stock before the new label hits. Anyone in the know? I've been getting a lot of bang for the buck with this stuff lately and don't want to one day find it's out of production.

I believe the Mantuano is similar to the Reserva, but not identical. It's a newer version of it. I was able to taste it recently but not side-by-side with the Reserva (which I don't have very often anyway) so couldn't get a real clear sense of the difference. If you love the Reserva I'd say for $15, why not stock up?

I just did a quick search and found this article about it:

http://thefatrumpirate.com/diplomatico-mantuano

Hopefully someone with more details will chime in.

Thanks for the link Bama. As the article states, it's a light and approachable rum. While his negative critique seems solely based on it's merits as a sipper, I use it as the base for a cocktail I created that's always a crowd pleaser. So I'm happy to bulk up on the old bottles while I can at $15 a pop until the new label arrives and presumably the price will jump back up to the normal $25 around here.

Pages: 1 20 replies